Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Mossberg 702 Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You have a couple of options on the stock. The first, if you want to go back to a higher quality wood stock you need to hunt up a stock for a Magtech 7022 (yes the ammo makers). Same as the Mossberg 702, but with a wood stock. Another option is to get an ATI stock for a Marlin 60 and dremel it out -- Never heard of this before stumbing on it today. See:

any other stock options for a mossberg 702?

As far as ruining the stock, as cheap made as it is, any modification I think might give you the chance to ruin it. I'm tempted to try out the Marlin ATI stock. This rifle, as cheap as it is, is still pretty darn fun and suprisingly accurate for the price.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:08 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well guys, I added the scope today. I went to Walmart, they weren't machine screws AND they wanted $9+tax....so I went to my local Army Surplus. They had one for $1.50. I said, "Thanks," and ran. At home, drilling took 5 minutes and showed no signs of stressing the plastic. i think it's too soft and giving to try to crack. It looks great, and works great. Only problem is I mounted it about 1/16" too far to one side and it gives me an uneven lay at full extension, so I have to shorten one ever so slightly. Either way, I was getting groups of about an inch at 15 yards. My GF and I are both bad shots, and we had 28 of 30 rounds in about a 1" diameter bullseye. I still have sighting in to do at 100yds, but I was getting groups of about 4" with Federal Bulk Pack stuff, and I'm sure using CCI would help it.

One thing I did do was used a grommet I picked up at the hardware store for a couple of cents. I cut it in half and used it as a washer on the inside between the nut and the stock. Really made the mount sturdy and didn't worry me at all. Also, I didn't have to shorten the bolt at all because of the way the inside of the stock is designed.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Glad you got it done. Now you can fine tune your shooting form and experiment with different loads to attain better accuracy.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:13 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not that anyone's following this anymore, but for people browsing....the sights are pretty much dead on. I mean, they might be a couple of clicks off, but I'm getting tiny little groups. My girlfriend put ten straight (with little effort) through an empty quart of milk at 110yds in quick succession. I'm VERY impressed and VERY pleased.

Only thing it's doing is the bolt was sticking the last time we were out. Of about 200rds through it, the bolt got stuck (had to disassemble once) three times. Really annoying, but I'm wondering if that had something to do with how I cleaned/reassembled it.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #15

Default Clean and lube it

Spray it with Breakfree CLP and work the bolt, wipe it off/out, and spray it a little more, finally wiping excess off and should smooth out and not stick anymore. I've gotten to where I don't even take it all the way apart anymore just the above mentioned and it works wonderfully.

On a side note, it's wonderful how accurate a rifle you can get for a $100 bucks (in my case it was $86 OTD) isn't it?

Old 03-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaf_fan View Post
Spray it with Breakfree CLP and work the bolt, wipe it off/out, and spray it a little more, finally wiping excess off and should smooth out and not stick anymore. I've gotten to where I don't even take it all the way apart anymore just the above mentioned and it works wonderfully.

On a side note, it's wonderful how accurate a rifle you can get for a $100 bucks (in my case it was $86 OTD) isn't it?
I just sprayed remoil ALL over the bolt and brushed furiously with a toothbrush and plastic 9mm brush and I think it should be okay. It had never done it before, but I'll be able to tell if that did it or not by Sunday night (I hope).

But yeah, the accuracy is incredible! Especially since I firmly believe that the size of the groups at 110yds with a 22LR is more limited by ammo quality and my finger than the gun itself. I've got a buddy that shoots pretty seriously, and I think he'll be the best chance I've got of seeing how well it shoots in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:29 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One last point, I don't know if it's gun or ammo....but shooting Federal Bulk with this gun, the drop at 100yds is not nearly as bad as the drop at 110yds. At 110 I can hit anything I want, but at 100yds I'm lucky to get close.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have an 802 Plinkster, i installed a barrell mount(clamp on) bipod works excellent. i also installed a sling, if you use the machine screws with the nut, drill a 3/16 hole and the screw will fit perfectly, you almost dont need the nut.

The wife and i can get 10 shot quarter sized groups at 50 yards, haven't tried any farther.