Mossberg 702 Help
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Mossberg 702 Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Mossberg 702 Help

Hey guys, I got a Mossberg 702 Plinkster 22LR this past Friday and need some help with it. I mounted a Tasco 3-9x50mm with see-through scope rings.

I'm looking for a way to mount a bipod as my next modification. I've got it grouping quite accurately at 15 yards, but need a bipod for the rest of the accuracy to increase. I know it's "just" a 22LR, but I want tiny groups at 110yds. Anyway, the 702 Plinkster doesn't have a swivel mount thing so I can't easily mount a bipod. I DO have a Winchester $40 bipod from Walmart, I just don't have a mounting point. Any ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Something like the stud on the left in the pic below. You'll have to drill a hole in your stock and probably trim the threads down to keep it from hitting your barrel. You may also have to reinforce the stock to keep it from touching the barrel when the bi-pod is used, the synthetic stocks tend to flex a bit.

Uncle Mike's Sling Swivel Stud 115 B Set - MidwayUSA

Or something like the barrel band stud mount below. You'll need to measure your barrel to get the right size, I recommend using a dial caliper for the measurement. But this will also cause the barrel to flex while using the bi-pod.

Talley Barrel Band Sling Swivel Stud .815" Inside Diameter Steel in the White - MidwayUSA

Last edited by Eric0424; 03-06-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Eric 0424's advise is right on the money. Just install a front sling swivel stud.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was warned that doing so would crack the stock to no end. I have the first option (installing a stud into the stock) readily available. Well, Winchester has a version of it that WalMart sells. Which one should I get:

Walmart.com: Search Results for "winchester swivel"

Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I really couldn't say, I would have to actually see the parts with the Winchester kits. The descriptions don't have enough detail on the individual studs. One of them with a machine threaded stud and the nut to match should work.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:43 AM   #6

Unless Mossberg has changed the Mossberg 702 Plinkster it's going to have a plastic stock (my understanding is that it's really plastic not the higher quality polymer). That might be the reason you heard about cracking, What I would do is drill it out first and slowly move up bits till it's close to swivel stud size, then screw it in and secure it with some glue.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

loaf_fan, I can definitely see it being the cheaper plastic. In all actuality, polymer=plastic...but yes, this is the cheap stuff. If I have to step up between sizes, I can make it happen. However, do you think it'll ruin the stock? I'm sure it's NOT a cheap part. I have a lot of experience working with things like this, but I'll have to try if you think it's doable.

Eric, the kits DO have machine bolts and nuts in them. Could it be as simple as drill with care, cut off excess, tighten nut, install bipod?

Old 03-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorzamora View Post
Eric, the kits DO have machine bolts and nuts in them. Could it be as simple as drill with care, cut off excess, tighten nut, install bipod?
Yep, installation should be as you described. If the stock seems thin or weak in the stud area you may be able to reinforce it to help spread the load, but I haven't been able to see what the stock looks or feels like on the 702.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Eric, I got the gun for under $100 NIB from Dick's....so I wasn't expecting much. I'm pleasantly surprised, but in no way am I thoroughly impressed by the quality. I'll play around with it and get back to you guys.

Quick question, though...about how much would a replacement stock be?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You'll probably have to go directly to Mossberg International for parts. The usual places I buy parts from don't carry anything for the 702 other than the magazines. A friend of mine owned one the these for a while, it was a good rifle. It didn't blow us away with fit and finish, but it was an accurate rifle and never gave him any trouble. They're well worth the $100 asking price.

Mossberg International Parts/Contact page