Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Mossberg 44US- Now we're cooking!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8425 Times on 3654 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Shofar- there were two different sights used on the military Mossberg- and the military trainer was a 44US. The 44US (a) or 44US (b) or (c) or (d) were post war civilian models. Some of the 44s had the adjustable trigger- and a few folks even drilled a small hole in the plastic trigger guard to permit adjustment while action was in the stock. If you send me a PM with ALL the markings, and SN, I can probably tell you year made. If there is NO serial number, then was a civilian model- all military issue Mossbergs were serially numbered by contract- but law did not require a SN on rifles until 1968.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #32

I googled this thread and read with interest all the posts. Then joined to reply and seek more information on my rifle. Thank you for all the great photos and details. It has been fun to finally get the low-down on what I have.

Mine is marked 44US-a with no serial#. The adjustable rear sight is stamped Mossberg S-100 on the mounting bracket. The bolt has machined extractors. The front sight is hooded (stamped "Mossberg) and has interchangeable leaves.

The action is made of a simple stamped part folded to capture the trigger mechanism with the adjusting screw. Thanks for your reply, as this is the first I have heard anyone mention this feature. It made such a difference in the rifle's handling when I set it up.

It still has the original strap which has detachable mounts.

Thanks

Old 08-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Hey- you have just not run into a pack of Mossbergaholics! Vicious critters, they are!

Your rifle was made 1944-1946. It is the civilian version of the military trainer- and the first of the 44US series that had an adjustable trigger. Here is some good info on Mossbergs for you: Mossberg 22 LR Models and Specifications

Scroll down to the 44US, shows the variants, and note the blue letters that link you to more info.

Enjoy- those are some tack drivers. If you need parts, check out havlinsales.com. Vic Havlin and his wife Cheryl are really nice people, among other things, run the Mossberg Collector's Assoc.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #34

Heres a good one, several years ago (1990's) I bought a Mossberg M44US and it is very nice and exceptionally accurate so I ordered another. It was also very nice and remarkably accurate. The thing is one has one more land and groove than the other one. My first one wasn't drilled and tapped for a scope mount but the second is. I believe the second one has the extra land and grooves. I have checked this several times. No one has been able to tell me anything about this as of yet.

Steve E.............

Old 08-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #35
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The FIRST year production of the 44US used a different receiver sight (Lyman 57S, if memory serves) and was not drilled and tapped. Those were made in 1943. Following years, about 4.000 were D&T'd for a scope mount. Change to rifling pattern may have taken place at same time. Word was the Mossberg would lead lap their bores- after rifling, a lead slug coated with fine abrasive would be worked thru the barrel, lapping the sharp edges, and getting excellent accuracy as a result. If you want to PM me with SN's, I may be able to give you year of manufacture.

BTW, you would not BELIEVE the price for some of the older Mossberg peep sights. Shortest verse in Bible is John 11:35. "Jesus wept."

Old 08-07-2011, 01:28 AM   #36

If I can find the srl #'s I will PM them to you. Unfortunately the rifles are packed up back home in Ms. we are stationed in Tx with the Air Force, working on 21 years now.

Steve E...........