Mossberg 22

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Mossberg 22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mossberg 22

Just bought the 22 version of the AR took it to the range today and if shoots great. Shot about 200 rounds through it and it only FTF once. I am a huge gun lover but I'm only 19 and this is my first of many toys. Now my mission is to make this baby look as sick as possible so suggestions would be great.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2012, 04:51 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Your little Mossy should be very reliable since it uses the regular Mossberg sporting .22 action. I would suggest looking for optics; nothing very expensive but good enough to give you a feel of the characteristics of either telescopic or red-dot style units. Some kind of forearm grip would also be helpful, just look for one with spaces for switch-pads from tac lights or lasers since that will probably be in your future. I think there are accessory houses that have larger, easier to grasp bolt handles for your gun and of course extra magazines are a must. The Mossy has some limitations when adapting regular AR accessories so you might have some trouble getting that true "down-range-battle-rattle" look, but you can make yourself a nice, nasty little shooter with a little work. It'll fool the "Guns are Icky!" crowd into thinking it's a real assault rifle anyway. Have fun and shoot safely!

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Old 10-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the post OldEagle. So I'm not really a "doomsdayer" but just put of pure curiosity being my first gun and all, what is its real world use? I know one shot is not likely to take someone down but with 25 in the mag I'm sure at least two to the chest or one to head will do the work. Right?

Old 10-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

While it is a fact that worldwide, more people are mortally wounded by .22's than any other size of bullet; your real consideration should be "..if I am so unlucky as to have to defend myself with this rifle, can I do so?" Yes, you can; but it will involve the right ammo in the right place at the right range and then a whole lot of luck! Your little Mossy is something to enjoy shooting and get a bit of practical experience with. I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 that I just have a whole lot of fun shooting. While it's a little more AR-like than your rifle, it still isn't anything I would be eager to take into real military combat though with the light and laser and red-dot sight I've hung on it, it would be very effective in close-quarter battle (CQB). The hole in the barrel of a .22 Long Rifle firearm is almost exactly the same size as the hole in the barrel of a 5.56/.223 AR-15 or M4 carbine; it's the power behind the bullet that is the difference. Use your new gun to learn safe gun handling and marksmanship. Get some training either by reading, an instructor or even online or by video that will teach you what you need to know to be a safe, responsible and effective gun owner and user. Most of all, shoot the woo out of the thing and enjoy doing so! Ammo for these .22's is still way cheaper than cigarettes and healthier to boot!

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

Old 10-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #5

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 366

.22lr is as deadly as any other round . you just have to put the bullet right where it needs to be to flip someones switch. But philosophy of use for a .22 in wrol is more small game food rifle than self defense but its better than nothing.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #6

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

.22lr can kill someone 400 yards away. Go on YouTube and look at Iraqveteran888's video ".22lr lethality I think it is. Besides if you pump 10 rounds center mass into someone that's more than enough to do the job. Don't underestimate the .22lr

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:56 AM   #7

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
.22lr can kill someone 400 yards away. Go on YouTube and look at Iraqveteran888's video ".22lr lethality I think it is. Besides if you pump 10 rounds center mass into someone that's more than enough to do the job. Don't underestimate the .22lr
It might strike a lethal blow. I have tested a Marlin 60 and a 10/22 with Winchester Super X and Mini Mag round nose copper coated ammo. Both started tumbling around 350 yards. The 22 might be lethal at 400 yards but I would only count on it to be accurate at 300 yards.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Though it's a little afield of JordanHeezy's original post, lethality in .22 is a matter of some debate. If he wants something for the veritable SHTF moment, then I suggest he supplement his Mossberg with a good .22 Magnum-firing weapon and lay in a supply of something like Hornaday's .22 WMR 45 grain FTX. There are many rifles that are made for this round in bolt, lever and semi-auto configuration (I would prefer the Henry because I like lever-guns, but that's me). In hand guns, revolvers seem to be the way to go; I haven't heard of any autos in WMR but there probably are some. Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Colt's and Charter are some names to consider. A well-handled .22 can indeed be deadly WITHIN IT'S INHERENT LIMITS. In other words, a Barrett can kill at .22 caliber ranges or at .50 caliber ranges, but even the best .22 cannot be lethal at Barrett ranges (it's more of a "Did you hear something?" to those targets). Learn your Mossy and grow into the sport, because outside of Basic Training (Boot Camp to you Jarheads), there is no quick way to learn riflery or marksmanship (and, no, Call of Duty for XBox does not count!).