Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Mossberg 151K, New Shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8312 Times on 3593 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Morning, CPTTANGO ! Yeah, know what you mean- usually I am the kid looking at the sign that says "Winchesters- 2 for a Quarter" but only have a dime in my pocket.

In the case of the Mossberg, I feel no guilt. First, it was a dealer (who should have known better, not some poor widder lady) Second, he was a snob, who was telling me how Mossberg was an inferior product compared to the new 22 autos he had in stock. And how that one had been sitting in the back for a LOOONG time.

Told him I could always use a truck gun, only had $50 on me, but could do FFL to FFL and save him some paperwork. Gave him copy of my 03 FFL, $50, thanked him. Got in the Jeep and RAN.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Yeah, know what you mean- usually I am the kid looking at the sign that says "Winchesters- 2 for a Quarter" but only have a dime in my pocket.
That's EXACTLY the position I'm always in. We'll see how the groupings of this old Mossie are soon as I get back from school. Maybe dispatch a few of those Starlings we all love and adore...

-Travis

Old 03-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

My dad can find some crazy deals. Then he spends $10 working the metal and wood over and ends up having one of the nicest mossbergs you could have ever seen.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #14

The old Mossie does much better with a good cleaning and Federal's, I'll tell you that. Due to time constraints I could only move it back to about 75-80 yards, but I was getting quarter-sized groups at 40 yards. And this was with a crappy rest, sore arms, and a little daisy air rifle scope. Didn't jam once, no dud shells, and I was very impressed. Had I a decent scope and rest, I'm sure the groupings wouldn't have exceeded 2" at 80 yards. What a beautiful gun, too. After some oil and half an hour, she glistens like new. What kind of wood is the stock?

.22s are a blast to shoot, too. The old muzzleloader, not so much. And cheap. Can't beat shooting 40 rounds and only spending $2. That was the cost of ONE shot for the blackpowder.

-Travis

Old 03-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #15

Did another shoot today. After a few warmup shots, I could hit quarters at 50 yards. Finding them was another story though. I went through a pocketful of quarters and couldn't find any of them after I took my shot.

Thanks for all the help, this gun sure has turned around.

-Travis

Old 03-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Glad that worked for ya. Accuracy of the Mossbergs can be very good with the right ammo, and a little luck.

This is a 7 round, 50 meter group from a 1943 vintage Mossberg:

mossberg-group-001.jpg  

Last edited by c3shooter; 03-18-2009 at 12:31 AM.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #17

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

don't see no stock 10/22 turning in accuracy like that do you? NO.

But we will let the Ruger fanboys think they are all that and a box of 711B too.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #18

c3shooter, What ammo were you using in that? I've been told to try some CCI Stingers, ever used those? Where do you guys buy bulk ammo?

-Travis

Old 03-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #19

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

My father has an old Mossberg .22lr he has had since he was 9. He loves it and tells stories of going to the small town dump and plinking rats. Try to do it now days. Anyhoo, I'm not sure of the model, but it has a fold down fore end and a 7 shot mag. If you can't hold steady with that...

I do need to get the red dot sighted for him. I'll do that this spring.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

T- That ammo was Dynamit-Nobel R-50 Match ammo. That rifle really likes the R-50, and the Lapua Match. HOWEVER- the price of that match ammo.... well, shortest verse in Bible is "Jesus wept." a 50 round box is about $18.00.

The Stinger is a hyper-velocity round. The MOST accurate is rarely the fastest. Some of the best match ammo is actually subsonic- has to do with bullet breaking sound barrier, and then dropping back below sound barrier, causing a "wobble" to bullet (or so I am told)

I have tried several of the Match grade rounds, including Tenex, Green Tag, Fiocchi, Wolf, etc etc. The ammo I mentioned to you, Federal Champion Target Standard Velocity is not sold as match ammo, but it is pretty close. Dick's usually carries that for about $20/500 rounds.

Old saying- Extreme Accuracy is Extremely Expensive. How accurate do you wanna be? To get REALLY tight accuracy, you will need a different rifle. Your 151 is a light sporter. Trust me- you would not want to carry a benchrest rifle for a day's hunting!

BTW, while I enjoy shooting, some of the folks I shoot with do 5 shot groups that look like one hole. One SMALL hole. One EXPENSIVE, time consuming small hole. However, they ARE high on my "Never PO this guy" list.