Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Mossberg 151K, New Shooter (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/mossberg-151k-new-shooter-11868/)

T.Mihm 03-15-2009 04:01 AM

Mossberg 151K, New Shooter

Hello all,

I have a Mossberg 151K that's been around the farm for quite a while. It was never cleaned or oiled, and has who knows how many rounds through it. It's a .22LR obviously. It is semi-automatic and the way it loads is weird. All of the rounds are stacked in-line, nose to tail, through the buttstock and up to near the chamber. A hollow rod with a spring is then inserted; the pipe portion goes around the cartridges, and the spring keeps them moving towards the chamber. I am in need of a gun that can dispatch squirrels, raccoons, and starlings out to 200 feet or so, and do it with consistency and accuracy. Is this too much to ask from such an old gun? What should I do to bring it up to this level of use? I know it needs to be cleaned. One would think that the unusual loading system would hurt the lead bullets, but it doesn't seem to. The last time I shot it, I was getting 2-3" groupings at around 60 to 70 feet (was quite a while ago, and I was NOT impressed. I am able to shoot better groupings with my airsoft gun, and that shoots pieces of plastic. The gun has sat since.). What ammo do you suggest? The only thing we've put through it are the Remington Thunderbolts.

As a side note, would there be a lot of work to convert this gun to shoot .22 Mags? I'm not knowledgeable in this field of information, would that be worth the effort or just a hairball of an idea?

-Travis

cpttango30 03-15-2009 04:45 AM

From many guns it would be to much to ask. But them old mossbergs are all deadly accurate and ultral reliable to a fault.

c3shooter 03-15-2009 09:34 AM

First, scrap the 22 mag conversion idea. 22 WMR and 22 LR not only have different cartridge size, but different bullet diameter- would need to replace barrel- and different operating pressures- action would not handle- and these only made in 1950-51. Link for some good info and pics on Mossberg 22s: Mossberg 22 LR Models and Specifications

These had one shortcoming- many of them have stocks that are broken at the wrist. Other than that, pretty darned accurate 22, in the hunting rifle category.

Would strip it down, carefully and thoroughly clean the bore with a good bronze brush and solvent. If you are unsure of re-assembly of action, there are instructions available, or use Gunscrubber spay for action.

Try a box of Federal Champion Target ammo- standard velocity if you can find it (Dick's porting Goods), high velocity if you can't (WalMart). I have about a dozen Mossys, them seem to like it.

OR- put it up for sale, make a Mossberg collector happy (these are eligible for Curio & Relic status) take money, buy a new rifle. :rolleyes:

PS- the feed system catches the rim of the next round to load, holds it, and when action operates, FLICKS the round into the chamber. Actually, pretty neat!

cpttango30 03-15-2009 12:56 PM

DOn't clean a 22lr with a bronze brush this is bad for them. patches and solvent is all you need.

T.Mihm 03-15-2009 01:53 PM

So which is it, bronze cleaning brush or patch and solvent?

And a big THANKS to all contributors. I'll pull her out today and see exactly how dirty it is. The gun is actually in great shape, I examined the stock for any signs of cracking before I put it away, I can't recall any. I do love the feel of the gun. We'll see what kind of groups she'll throw with those Federals and a good cleaning. Thanks again!

-Travis

cpttango30 03-15-2009 03:01 PM

MY rimfires get cleaned once or twice a year or when the accuracy starts to suffer to the point of shotgun patterns before they get cleaned. Then it is a patch and solvent and accuracy comes back rather fast. 90% of your fouling in a rimfire is lube and carbon. There is not much to cleaning rimfires.

If you want to sell contact me first.

+1 on the Federal target my dad and a bunch of other mossberg guys I know all love the Federal 711B ammo. These old mossys don't like high speed ammo.

T.Mihm 03-15-2009 04:41 PM

Haha. Contact you first, I will have to remember that. If anyone cares to answer, how much would the gun be worth? I have no interest in selling it unless it brings me over about, oh, maybe $12 billion. The guns I have access to have been passed down from my great-grandfather all the way to me, and if I have any say about it they will stay in the hands of family. But I'd still love to see what price it oculd bring.

Federal Champion Target is on the way as we speak, along with a cleaning kit. Might actually get to test it out of there's light left at the end of the day.

Thanks for the help!

-Travis

c3shooter 03-15-2009 09:28 PM

Most of these go for $150-$200 at auction- one over on gunbroker recently sold for 330- but was mint, with a Mossberg scope. Condition is everything.

If solvent and patch work for you, then stick to that. Sometimes a bore of an older rifle can be pretty well leaded (saw one we thought was a smoothbore until we cleaned it) and you pretty much HAVE to use a brush. Of course, a nylon brush would sort of be the middle ground.

And cpttango is a cheap chollie- I make you much better offer! :rolleyes:

Just kidding- (and I DID get a 144LS for $50 from a guy that decided it was just a Mossberg 22- nothin' special)

cpttango30 03-16-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 82658)
Most of these go for $150-$200 at auction- one over on gunbroker recently sold for 330- but was mint, with a Mossberg scope. Condition is everything.

If solvent and patch work for you, then stick to that. Sometimes a bore of an older rifle can be pretty well leaded (saw one we thought was a smoothbore until we cleaned it) and you pretty much HAVE to use a brush. Of course, a nylon brush would sort of be the middle ground.

And cpttango is a cheap chollie- I make you much better offer! :rolleyes:

Just kidding- (and I DID get a 144LS for $50 from a guy that decided it was just a Mossberg 22- nothin' special)

It is JERKS like you that piss me off. I can never find deals like that or when I do I don't have the money to part with for it.

Just recently there was a nice shotgun for sell it was set up for .673" turkey shoots it has a 36" barrel that was .673" bore dia all the way it was groved and even had a decent Nikon Buckmaster scope on it and was painted nice to boot. The guy wanted $350 he took $300 and the effing guy that bought it turned around and won $700 with it that night. GMotherEffingDit DIRTY SOB i yelled at myself all the way home that night.

big shrek 03-16-2009 06:29 AM

cpttango30 - I'm not sure if I should be frightened that I recognize your avatar...or ashamed that I saw the movie a couple of time...LOL
Aaaaaaaaarnoooooollllldddddddd!!! Gotta luv the Governator!! :)

I use a Bore Snake for my '22's with some Break Free CLP. It's especially good for Marlin's with the micro-grooves, cleans 'em out NICE :D

If the OP hasn't checked all the screws & made sure they were tight, that'd be the first thing I did. Then check the barrel & make sure it was on tight. Make sure there is no movement between the action/stock at all.

Bear in mind that in old times, if you were hitting an 8-inch pie plate at 100 yds, that was mighty accurate shootin!! They really didn't manufacture to the tolerances we do today.