Mossberg 151 MB...looking for specs/info.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Mossberg 151 MB...looking for specs/info.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Mossberg 151 MB...looking for specs/info.

Hey all.
I'm looking at used rifles as my first .22 purchase. At the local Cabela's, they have a Mossberg 151 MB on the rack for $100.
When I first looked at it, I thought to myself "Man, that is one ugly little beast!" I jotted the model down anyways.
The more I look at pictures of it, though, the more I like it. it kind of looks like a Baby Mauser.
At that price point, I am seriously considering buying it. However, I need some historical and general info on the model. First, I remember remarking to my wife about the very odd sights on the rifle. It had a trio of ring sights along the barrel, and I couldn't see the front sights when looking through the rear sights, because the mid-barrel sight got in the way. They looked to be made of thin metal. in my research, I've seen the Mossberg 151K, that had peep sights. Did the MB version have these as well, and they're simply missing from this rifle? If so, about how much am I looking at shelling out for a replacement?

I do like the idea of a tube magazine, since you can (in my head, anyways) drop in shorts, longs, or LRs depending on what you have on-hand. Of course, with the abundance and cheap price of .22LR ammo, it's probably not much of an issue of "shooting what you have".

The Mossberg 151MB is in the short list, alongside a Marlin 60, and a Marlin 25. How does the Mossberg stack up against these other two models?

Thanks in advance for any opinions you might have!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8840 Times on 3827 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Made 1948-1954. Here is more info on Mossy 22s than I have found anywhere else. If you do not want it, PM me with the address of the Cabellas. Click on the underlined part: Mossberg 22 LR Models and Specifications

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:31 AM   #3

Thanks, c3shooter. I think I'll head back to Cabela's and take another gander at it this weekend while the wife is working.
The link was very helpful, and I bookmarked it.
Is this the sort of rifle that can accept a variety of replacement sights and/or scopes, or will I be pigeonholed into very specific replacement parts?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #4

We have a 151 M that's been in our family since new. It's a great shooter. I'm sure we'll have it for another 50 years. Parts and info are available, check here for information. Vic and Cheryl Havin are the best folks to deal with on these rifles.

NATIONAL MOSSBERG COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION

Havlin Sales & Service - Mossberg Gun Parts

Old 12-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1973 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I am confused by the ring sights along the barrel. Are these scope rings by chance? A very long time ago I had a bolt action Mossberg in 22 mag and it is one gun I wish I still had. The Mossbergs have always been know for accruacy and this one was extremely accurate.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Last edited by JTJ; 12-02-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I'll echo what JTJ said. Huh? (on the "ring" sights) These rifles typically had a front sight, a barrel mounted notch type rear sight, and a end-of-the-reciever peep sight. To use the notch rear, swing the peep sight aside. Most of these are grooved on top of reciever to use standard 3/8ths clamp on scope mounts. If reciever peep sight is missing, they CAN be replaced, but are pricey. Some of the mossys have a multiple post swing up/swing down front sight. Post, globe, etc.

These DO have some collectors value, so be careful about making permanent changes to the rifle. Very good shooters, tho.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #7

Ahaha. I'm showing my ignorance now.
I'll run over and take a look at it in about an hour, but from my brief inspection, there were small metal parts at the rear of the receiver that stuck up like a sight. The original peep sight is missing. I'll check the condition of the receiver-mounted rear sight, and the front sight.
The little piece I'm remembering was definitely not a scope ring.
Maybe some sort of very old scope mounting point?

If the store will let me, I'll try to snap a shot with my phone, though quality will be awful.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Here is one photo of a Mossberg that shows a rear peep- (sorry, not a 151M- only have a 51M at present)
rifles-016.jpg

Old 12-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Vic Havlin will likely have parts. He literally wrote a book on the Mossbergs. Here's a couple of 151 MB's... one each for my grandsons... 100% complete, and original.... right down to Mossbergs quick-disconnect sling swivels.....

And, as posted... they are very accurate.

I have some copies of some of the documentation. If you want to PM me your address, I'll mail you copies of what I have. Or, send me an email address, and I'll send you scans.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 12-02-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Seabee1951 Likes This 
Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #10

Ok, used my lunch hour up at Cabela's...

I misremembered whatever the "ring sights" were. No such thing on the Mossberg 151MB. I'd looked at a ton of rifles in an hour, and must have amalgamated some of them.

The 151MB at the store is in "ok" condition. There is a light bit of rust in some of the screw wells, the threads of the breach plug, a couple spots in the scope mount grooves, and the sight workings. Both the front and rear sights are present and intact. The elevation slide moves very nice and freely, with defined click stops. The windage slide is not so smooth, probably due to the rust. I think I can clear the rust up with some CLP and a good scrubbing.
Peep sight is missing, but the mounting point is clear and unrusted.
The barrel looks good, all rifling is defined and present. If I go back, I'll likely ask one of the guys in the Gun Library for a cleaning rod and a patch to see how smooth it pulls through.
The chamber itself looks a little powdery. Again, something I'd take a good scrubbing of CLP to. Bolt racks smoothly and cleanly.
Stock is a bit dinged and handled, but it is about 60 years old. No cracks, burrs, or deep damage.
Both sling mounts are present, but the swivels are not. There's also a screw missing from the back of the forestock, making it a tad wobbly.
The magazine tube is intact, but VERY oxidized. Brass, though, and could be polished up just fine with some Brass-O, I'd bet.

I think I'm going to go for it. I'm going to try to talk them down on it, to maybe $70 or so to start. I'll point out the rust, missing screws, sight, and swivels. Who knows, maybe they'll bite!