Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Modifying my 10/22 stock.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Modifying my 10/22 stock.

Hello, I recently saw a rifle similar to my own on a forum where someone had somehow attached a scope mount as a rail on the bottom of their stock in order to attach a forward grip, The result looked pretty amazing and I'm looking into doing so myself as the forward grip would assist in handling with the stock folded. I was just wondering what the best way to go about attaching the rail to the un-drilled stock would be? should i find a mount and get someone to drill the holes? anyone have any advice?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2009, 07:25 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

im not big on gunsmithing but welcome to the forum! go to the introduction section and let us know who you are.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What kind of stock do you have? Wood? Composite?

What you are talking about doing is kind of, well, kind of hokey to be honest, but it will serve the purpose...

All you are needing to do is order a 1913 Picatinny Rail, in whatever length you want, then get a couple of screws and a couple of nuts.

Take the stock off the gun. Measure, mark and drill a couple of holes into the stock that coincide with the holes in the rail.

Turn the stock over and countersink the holes under the barrel so they don't have the nutss, or the screws, adding pressure to the barrel.

Drop the nuts in the countersunk holes, thread the screws in from the bottom with the rail in place, trim screw length as needed.

A little Locktite, or clear fingernail polish, and you are good to go.

It's not like you are adding a scope rail to a 1,000 yard gun....

JD

Old 08-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #4

Just go to rimfirecentral.com and read the stock mod thread.

You will get more information than you can digest in a month.

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton