Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Metal shavings out of barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Clean it---WHY ?? I havent cleaned mine for at least 25 years !! You put more wear on them cleaning them. I have seen rifles with the blue worn in spots that have NEVER been shot but have had the hell cleaned out of them.
Sounds like a lot of BS ?? I would be willing to bet that I have shot more rounds than every one on this page put together---FACT !! When I was working (I'm retired now) I was shooting 25,000--30,000 rounds a year (yes the number is correct).
Love the rifle but NOT to death !!!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any gun I get has a good comprehensive 'first cleaning', no matter if it's NEW or fifty years old- I don't know it's history and how well it was cared for. Most NEW .22 rifles theses days are coated in a thick preservative oil(my new 10-22 felt like it had maple syrup in it!) - this keeps it from rustig in the store, but is too thick for proper functioning. Virtually every older twentytwo rifle I get is FILTHY. So this puts me on Home Base. Once I begin shooting, I only run a dry swab through the bore IF it gets dirty from lower-grade ammo. NEVER a brush unless it's really crappy. Rimfires run happiest with a light fouling in the bore. Serious match shooters will say it takes forty shots to properly 'season' the bore. I am NOT that picky, and am satisfied with four or five 'foulers' before shooting groups on a clean barrel.
I keep the action cleaned and lubed LIGHTLY. Especially necessary for semiautos. Grunge in the firing pin channel or under the extractor causes most failures.
Cleaning to the point of being anal isn't good, but neither is letting the gun get crusty......