Metal shavings out of barrel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Metal shavings out of barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Metal shavings out of barrel

I very recently acquired a remington 597 in 22lr and i did a shortened version of a break in process on it and everything went fine. I put about 60 more rounds through it and cleaned it with hops 9 then brush then dry patch. Everything was fine. I put about 20 more rounds through it and cleaned it the same way (im anal about my guns being clean... i will clean them because they havent been cleaned in a week or two) but this time when i pulled the brush out long metal shavings (about 3/8 inch long) came out. They where very pliable so i suspected they where lead but i wasn't certain. I examined the barrel to the best of my ability and everything looked fine. Shiny as a mirror.

I was just wondering if this is something i should be concerned about and do i have anything to worry about with using a brush to clean my .22?

Also, I was shooting remington bulk and then put 10 cci stingers through it when the shavings where found. Another question, my brother says that when you wash your hands after shooting guns you are supposed to use cold water and NOT hot water... Is that true? and why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Stay away from the Remingtons and the problem with shaved bullets will most likely go away. If you want to use bulk ammo use Federal or Winchester. Remington is crap.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8963 Times on 3880 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

I am afraid that you have ruined your rifle by using a bore brush on it. If you will pack it up and send to me, I'll dispose of it for you- no charge- 'cause I'm a nice guy.

Yes, I am only kidding. A new barrel may have some breaking-in to do- simply wearing machined parts smooth. A bronze brush cannot hurt a steel barrel. Yes, that was lead you saw.

Ref: washing your hands, soap and water. Hot or cold does not matter. If your brother says something about hot water "opening your pores and letting lead in" he must have pores the size of a softball- lead is not a skin penetrant hazard, unless it is moving at high speed. But washing hands after cleaning a gun, shooting, or handling ammo is a very good practice to follow that many folk miss. Lead is taken into the body by inhalation- breathing it, and by ingestion- eating it.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

True, lead is most readily introduced into the body by injestion. Next comes inhalation then transdermal absorption. Yes cold water is considered best. Yes you can open up your pores enouigh to get some lead into your body. I would concentrate more on thorough cleaning. Two good rounds with soap and water before eating or smoking. The lead transferred to your mouth (and digestive tract) is far more dangerous than what may get through your skin.

If the lead is suspended in an oily or greasy medium on your hands, hot soapy water may be the only way to get it all off.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Your cleaning the barrel on a 22lr? Why would you go and do something like that?

Old 12-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Your cleaning the barrel on a 22lr? Why would you go and do something like that?
I was wondering that too but I wasn't gonna said nuthin.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep, only clean the bore when accuracy begins to fall off. The action - that's a different matter!
Heal-bulleted rimfires like a lightly fouled barrel.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog57 View Post
Yep, only clean the bore when accuracy begins to fall off. The action - that's a different matter!
I just wipe down the outside. When it quits working then I'll clean it.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #9

I have a marlin 22 model 60 i yhink it is its a short model with the barrel band i really have'nt looked but its about 25 years old brush the barrel twice in its life and it wwill drive tacks at 50 yards

Old 12-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2017 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

I have an older Ruger 10/22 that was not shooting very well. I brushed and cleaned the bore and it is shooting fine again.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.