Maybe you know this rifle?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Maybe you know this rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Maybe you know this rifle?

Hello everyone, well my father died a year ago and left me two German mausers that are well over a hundred years old. I've given up trying to get any information on them what so ever even with pics no one knows lol. How ever my dad did have a rifle that I'm trying to find one like it. heres what I know, it was a 22lr single shot, octagon barrel, rear trap door thumb breach"would eject the shell when you opened the breach with your thumb" , a gold or brass inlay ring at the tip of the barrel, also is was a heavy solid build rifle. Thats pretty much all I can remember about the rifle after 15 years. Thanks for any help and eventaking the time to read the post.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

pictures?................

Old 06-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #3

No pictures I shot the rifle maybe 4 times and saw it last was about 13 years ago. I give up on info with the mausers but I can't get my mind off of that single shot 22, I loved that gun. The info I gave in the above post is really all I know unless I see a picture of the rifle its a "I'll know it when I see it" kind of thing. I know its a long shot and I'm not holding out much hope but I at least want to try.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #4

Nevermind!

Last edited by G21.45; 06-08-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #5

Hey I'm so happy I was able to get more info on the rifle. It seems to be made by a company in the late 1800's named savage arms. It turns out it did have a gold band at the tip of the barrel. Alas still no pics or model number

Old 07-02-2008, 12:56 AM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary Encryption View Post
Hey I'm so happy I was able to get more info on the rifle. It seems to be made by a company in the late 1800's named savage arms. It turns out it did have a gold band at the tip of the barrel. Alas still no pics or model number
It was a single shot, but how did you cycle the weapon? Was it a single shot, breach loaded model that broke open to eject the shell somehow? Or did it have a pump or a lever by any means, to eject the spent cartridge?

I ask because, believe it or not, I was just playing with an octagon bore, wooden stock, .22 caliber breach load weapon in the shop today. I don't remember the manufacturer, but it had a wood, shotgun style pump under the octagon bore that works to cycle the weapon. I don't know if it's what you are looking for, but a couple of the descriptions matched and got me wondering....

JD

Old 07-02-2008, 01:13 AM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay, I just called my 'Smith, because he LOVES IT when I call with an obscure question during dinner.... LOL

The weapon in the shop is an Winchester Model 1890. I am going to include a picture. According to Brett, the pump action .22, like this Winchester, was the 10/22 of the day. Savage made a variant, Winchester made a variant and Remington made a variant, all of which are pretty similiar.

Apparently all the companies produced an octagonal bore version, which was the "Target" version and a carbine, or short barreled field gun version.

There were also "knock off" versions of the weapon produced outside of the normal production houses that bore no real production markings other than a family name.

On a tip from Brett, it turns out that Taurus Firearms, is currently producing a replica of the Winchester model that is very similiar to the original.

Winchester 1890

I am afraid this isn't the weapon that you are looking for. I wish you the best of luck in your search.

JD