Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Mauser 22LR Target Rifle (ES340?) W.S. Vickerman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mauser 22LR Target Rifle (ES340?) W.S. Vickerman

This is my first post. The purpose of this article is to share my re-found enthusiasm, motivate myself to get involved in a local club to hone my skills and see where this leads me, and solicit information on my Mauser 22 and scope. I hope I’ve come to the right place, and if not if you can point me in the right direction.

I was invited to go out shooting yesterday. It has been a good 15 years, and I’ll I can say is “I forgot how fun it is”. What a total gas!

Let me start with my 22. I sold off most of my guns many years ago, but there were a couple that were not going anywhere. In particular was my Mauser 22LR. I believe this was a ES340 Target Rifle. Please help me if I’m wrong. It is a single shot. I believe it is a ES340 as the stock fore-end is not checkered as the ES350 were. I read that the “B” behind the model designation denoted a spiraled groove barrel. Since the barrel was replaced with bull barrel… who knows. I found the below picture of a bunch of Mauser 22’s on a forum with the author mentioning that 2nd and 3rd from bottom were ES350B. My stock looks like the 5th from the bottom. The serial number on the receiver is 194XXX.

The ES350 was Mauser’s answer if you will to the Winchester’s Model 52. A high performance 22 target rifle, produced in the in the 20’s to the war, and I believe mine to be late 30’s to early 40’s. The barrel is only marked 22 LR and “W.S. Vickerman Ellensburg, WA” as the rifle was modified by Mr.Vickerman.

I purchased some 25 years ago I was looking for a Winchester model 52 and came across this at a gun show. I really didn’t know what I had, but I knew it was good. It came out of the estate of W.S.Vickerman, He was a renowned gunsmith who had a couple patents for his reloading dies and was an author in periodicals in the 70’s such as Rifle Magazine which in 1969 was adopted by the National Rest Shooter Association as the official publication. Here is a pdf of I found of an article W.S. Vickerman wrote on in the July/August 1978 titled “Beautifying the Remington 600” http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/ri58partial.pdf

Vickerman put on a bull barrel. The weight of the gun is 11lb 12oz’s with the scope. So it doesn’t feel like your typical 22LR and was one the reasons I purchased. He also has a front mount of the barrel to the stock, along with some target rifle accessories. After I had it zeroed in, I kept muttering to myself “thank you W.S. Vickerman.” I was only plunking at 50 yards, but when I got my scope zeroed in…. well it was tight particularly for a guy who hasn’t shot in too long of a time. I expect that to change, as I forgot what I was missing. I would really like to compare this to a Walther UIT Supermatch, BSA Martini MK V and other high quality 22LR's.

Back when I put this setup together, I was looking for a Unertl scope, but found this Lyman. I believe it is a 10X, but to tell you the truth, I don’t know enough to know. I base my guess on 10X on what it looks like through the scope, the “10” on the scope forward ring and it is 24” long. I see on a Dewy Greiner’s Classic Unertl Scopes that the 12X to 30X Lyman’s are 24 3/8”. The scope is marked Lyman Gun Sight Corporation – Super Target Spot 18387”.

Input is appreciated on anything you can help me to know about this riffle, if it is a ES340, anything on Vickerman, and this scope. Any local 22 enthusiasts in the Port Angels, or Kitsap County area of Washington State would also be most appreciated to hook me up with a club and target events.

George

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Couple more pics I wanted to add.