marlin xt-22mtsl
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > marlin xt-22mtsl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default marlin xt-22mtsl

Been wanting a .22 mag rifle for awhile. After looking at some online I'm really liking the Marlin xt-22mtsl. After reading some things on Marlin being bought out by Remington it seems their quality control has declined. Anyone own one of these or have opinions on them? Big Shrek, Marlinman?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

lot of folks can say stuff online

some of the older marlins look better but they dont function better.

marlin wasnt bought by remington they were bought by freedom group who also bought remington. remington makes barrels for marlin and some other things.

ive got a newer marlin in 45-70 held off a long time because the older marlin barrels werent really good for much but stirring campfire ashes...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

godale Likes This 
Old 01-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Oh seems I didnt get the full report. There wasnt very many reviews I could see on this particular model. A lot on the xt but most were mag fed synthetic models. I like the idea of the 12 round tube for the 22 mag, the laminate stock looked nice, and the $300 ticket was the ball park figure I wanted to spend. Ill have to see if I can find one local to get my hands on and give it a once over.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:16 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5912 Times on 3085 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Look at others also.

If I was going for a 22mag savage 93 would be my choice. I've got one of their Mk2 and its a fantastic 22lr

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

phideaux Likes This 
Old 01-11-2014, 03:31 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2006 Times on 1378 Posts
Likes Given: 765

I have a Marlin XT 22mr. If I had it to do again I would buy a savage. I didn't do my homework properly. I just looked for an accurate rifle. The XT 22mr is more accurate than I am but there are virtually no aftermarket parts for the marlin. I figured I would get a thumbhole stock from boyds. Boyds lists a stock for the marlin in their catalog. But I would bet they have never actually manufactured any xt 22mr stocks.

To be honest before I paid $300 for the marlin tube feed rifle I would buy a Browning or a Ruger. They are much nicer rifles. You don't need any aftermarket parts for either rifle because they are "all that" right out of the box, especially the browning X bolt.

If the tube fed marlin has the same barrel as the xt 22m it won't really do a lot of good. After I empty a 7 shot magazine the barrel is hot enough to change the point of impact. After 14 shots the xt 22mr goes from a 1" group at 100 yards to spraying shot all over a 3" circle. The 22 wmr is a potent cartridge, almost twice as fast as a high velocity 22 LR (40 gr 1910 fps 310 ft lb of energy) plus you get a real bullet similar to the quality of a centerfire hunting bullet. I really like the remington 22 wmr PSP. Remingons feed better and have a better ballistic coefficient than CCI game points.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-11-2014 at 04:09 AM.

Old 01-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub View Post
Been wanting a .22 mag rifle for awhile. After looking at some online I'm really liking the Marlin xt-22mtsl. After reading some things on Marlin being bought out by Remington it seems their quality control has declined. Anyone own one of these or have opinions on them? Big Shrek, Marlinman?
as i am not sure as to whether quality has declined on the XT series or not, i can say it hasn't on the X7 series i have been looking at for the last several years. in the beginning they were having production problems with the XT series in meeting demand for sales for them. i noticed several gun stores having problems in getting them from their distributors.

i have thought about adding a 22 magnum to the collection and the XTis just one of a few i would be looking at. the Savage M93 as mentioned is one that would be a contender as well. i have one already in 17 HMR and it's a great rifle.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2006 Times on 1378 Posts
Likes Given: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
as i am not sure as to whether quality has declined on the XT series or not, i can say it hasn't on the X7 series i have been looking at for the last several years. in the beginning they were having production problems with the XT series in meeting demand for sales for them. i noticed several gun stores having problems in getting them from their distributors.

i have thought about adding a 22 magnum to the collection and the XTis just one of a few i would be looking at. the Savage M93 as mentioned is one that would be a contender as well. i have one already in 17 HMR and it's a great rifle.
The quality of the XT 22MR is hit or miss. A landowner owns one he let me borrow to hunt coyotes on his property, it is a tack driver. The first xt 22mr I bought from gander mountain shot so high I needed a grinder to set the iron sights. The iron sights are one of the reasons I selected the marlin. I sent that one back to Remlin on their dime. In less than 2 weeks I had a new marlin. The next one shot really well.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato