Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Marlin XT-22 accuracy problem. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/marlin-xt-22-accuracy-problem-56329/)

RedFries3 01-26-2012 12:30 AM

Marlin XT-22 accuracy problem.

I recently got a marlin xt-22 and I am not happy with it. I've had a marlin 795 and I love it, I shoot less than 1 inch groups at 50-60 yards with federal bulk ammo. Now by the same manufacturer and being a bolt action rifle, the xt-22 is shooting 2 inch groups at 50 yards with federal ammo as well. This does not seem right to me at all because I figured the xt-22 would shoot even better than the 795 having micro rifling and being bolt action. Does anyone else get the same groups as me or know the problem? Thanks

dks7895 01-26-2012 01:27 AM

Try Winchester 555 bulk ammo.

bigdaddy573 01-26-2012 04:41 AM

Different guns like different ammo try cci or another bulk pack

kaido 01-26-2012 05:27 AM

Like the others have said, different guns like different brands.
With the XT I've got I was able to get 5 shot group under an inch with some Winchester but when I used Federals "Champion" I wasn't able to get a group smaller then about an inch and a half.

I'm also a new shooter and it was cold enough to make me start to shiver when I was doing this test as well.

EDIT was also only shooting at 25yards.

big shrek 01-26-2012 07:40 AM

Take a look at how you've got the stock screws tightened...make sure they are snug and the action is not moving inside the stock...
yet not so tight it binds or makes a bigger hole in the stock.

Also, with the pencil-thin barrel, take more time between shots...at least 30 seconds to a minute...these are meant as "walk & hunt" rifles, not heavy barrel target masters.
There are reports of the barrel heating up and bending quite dramatically with rapid fire...especially if one uses Hyper-Velo rounds, which you weren't,
but I did want to make you aware of how they react.
After a few shots, check your barrel/stock distance with a dollar bill or a business card...if its moved to one side or another, you'll know if you have side to side movement,
or up & down movement.

kaido 01-26-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big shrek
Take a look at how you've got the stock screws tightened...make sure they are snug and the action is not moving inside the stock...
yet not so tight it binds or makes a bigger hole in the stock.

Also, with the pencil-thin barrel, take more time between shots...at least 30 seconds to a minute...these are meant as "walk & hunt" rifles, not heavy barrel target masters.
There are reports of the barrel heating up and bending quite dramatically with rapid fire...especially if one uses Hyper-Velo rounds, which you weren't,
but I did want to make you aware of how they react.
After a few shots, check your barrel/stock distance with a dollar bill or a business card...if its moved to one side or another, you'll know if you have side to side movement,
or up & down movement.

I wouldn't exactly call the barrel on the XT pencil thin. I has a decent thickness to it and ive actually fired a magazine "rapidly" and felt the barrel, there wasn't much a change in the temperature.
I've fire 3 or 4 magazines before there was any notice able change in the temperature of it. But I also have the XT-22R, not sure if there's a difference in barrel thickness in them though.

big shrek 01-26-2012 08:02 AM

Might depend a bit on location...a member of another site from up north in the 20-degree temps was experiencing some serious barrel movement...resulting in 3" groups at 50 yards
with Stingers (Hyper Velo) ammo from cold shot to end of mag.

kaido 01-26-2012 08:09 AM

Not sure if it would be accurate, but I was able to get groups of about an inch in cold weather here (about high 20s low 30s) at 25yards. So would be about two inches at 50yards. I would still try a different brand of ammunition though. I'm just waitting for summer time to get more accurate shots since I won't be shivering. Haha

big shrek 01-26-2012 08:16 AM

Heck, it was 73 degrees today here...but I live in Heaven (aka Florida when its not hurricane season ;) )

kaido 01-26-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big shrek
Heck, it was 73 degrees today here...but I live in Heaven (aka Florida when its not hurricane season ;) )

Damn haha lucky you. I'm in Canada and its winter here. Right now I'm at 21F and a low of 12F.....needles to say, it gets damn cold here. Those temps are on a nice winter day haha