Marlin Quality - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Marlin was bought by Remington and both are owned by the Freedom Group, which own many more gun makers. they closed the North Haven CT plant and moved operations to Illion NY and Mayfield KY. there were some minor problems in the initial beginning with some of the lever actions but have been corrected. most of these stories were internet rumours, and not founded in fact, with the exception of a few isolated cases.

the Marlin bolt action centerfires are way ahead of all the other so called entry level bolt actions. much better quality and much more accurate. there is no way you can compare a M770 to an X7 rifle! the X7 is ten times the rifle and a much better rifle even if it cost twice as much! i have owned a 770 and it was pure junk.
I am throwing a flag on this guy. Nothing personal, but I have seen enough (in person) to know that the "New" Marlins are not up to Marlin standards.

If you want a good rifle go to a pawn shop buy a Marlin with the JM stamp on the barrel.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #12

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commocarl View Post

I am throwing a flag on this guy. Nothing personal, but I have seen enough (in person) to know that the "New" Marlins are not up to Marlin standards.

If you want a good rifle go to a pawn shop buy a Marlin with the JM stamp on the barrel.
Then you are full of crap mon ami. The new marlins are more accurate than the old ones. For awhile the lever guns lost some quality but now they have improved on the old. I own 18 centerfire marlin rifles-not a one chambered in that pos 30-30(my personal opinion on this caliber). All will out shoot most rifles twice their sticker cost.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:41 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:

sorry but i have to disagree with you. i look at the Marlins on a pretty regular basis and own several. a couple prior to them being bought by Remington and a couple afterwards. sorry but i have yet to see this slip in quality that abounds the internet. BTW, my LGS is an authorized Marlin dealer and sells quite a few of them. if there were all these defective Marlins floating around and quality has slipped so badly, don't you think there would be more evidence of this?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2155 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 801

A friend bought a new Marlin XT for his kid for Christmas. He dropped it off here with a couple boxes of ammo to see if I could find anything wrong with it. The lil gun is accurate and as handsome as a plastic gun is going to get. The kid is going to get a good shooting 22 wmr for Christmas.

Now, we have the real task at hand. Convincing a 13 year old he doesn't need a scope or a red dot. He is going to learn the same way shooters have learned for generations, with iron sights. When he can hit a running coyote or squirrel he might not want a scope. With perfect eyesight he might not want a scope for another 40 years.

I am not a fan of lever actions. I haven't looked over or shot a Remlin lever action.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-10-2012 at 07:53 AM.
big shrek Likes This 
Old 12-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Then you are full of crap mon ami. The new marlins are more accurate than the old ones. For awhile the lever guns lost some quality but now they have improved on the old. I own 18 centerfire marlin rifles-not a one chambered in that pos 30-30(my personal opinion on this caliber). All will out shoot most rifles twice their sticker cost.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/91023-new-1895g-i-cant-beleive-how-bad-pic-heavy.html

I was speaking to the quality of the lever guns. The poor guy in the above post wrote it in July, this year.

If you buy a new Marlin Lever make sure you inspect it carefully, all I'm saying.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #16

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts

Quote:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/91023-new-1895g-i-cant-beleive-how-bad-pic-heavy.html

I was speaking to the quality of the lever guns. The poor guy in the above post wrote it in July, this year.

If you buy a new Marlin Lever make sure you inspect it carefully, all I'm saying.
Ya and I saw that thread on there as well. Ya we all know you should check the quality....that's a given on ANY gun you are thinking of buying

Old 12-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:

to say that they have not had issues with their lever actions would be foolish on my part, but so far i have seen very few examples of poor quality from Marlin. with as many internet rumours abounding, one would think that more of these would be seen by more people. this only the about the third person who has had fitment issues or a poorly made Marlin, that i have seen posted any pictures. most of the rest of those who spout off about the lack of quality, for some reason fail to ever post pictures. hmmmmm.....

like i said, i look at many Marlins, and have not yet seen such examples. can one like the one pictured exist? yes, apparently so. even Marlin can have a bad one slip by from time to time. should it have been caught by QC before it ever got to the consumer? yes, it should have by all means. $h!t happens. it happens to every manufacterer of everything mass produced. it happens everyday. will i continue buying Marlins? without a doubt or hesitation!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #18

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ando so we have gone on to add further confusion to the original poster. Here is my take (and I won't claim to be a gun expert on any brand so take it for what its worth)....

If you walk into a gun store today for the most part you can pickup any gun from any maker and walk out the door with a gun that will go bang and is of good quality that you will enjoy for years. We can piss and moan over this part or that or this is more accurate then that one, but for the love of God its a .22....its not a $3000 shotgun or center rifle. Stop worrying about all the crap you read on these forums. For the most part they are people's opinions and are subject to MUCH bias based on their own experiences. Would the Freedom Group stop me from buying a gun I like...hell no. If I like it, got to hold it and checked the basic quality myself then I would buy it. I would not worry about dotting every "i" and crossing every "T" on my purchase. I am not suggesting just throwing all research and caution out the window, but since the advent of the internet people get too wrapped around the axel about this stuff and other people's opinions. Just check the XT out yourself....if you like it....buy it. Statistically speaking you will have no trouble with the gun as long as you clean it and takevcare of it. I can tell you this.....when you shoot that paper target, can, squirrel or rabbit I am most certain you will not be thinking about who manufactured the gun and by what group owns it. Ask away....but in the end get what you like.

Last edited by northhike; 12-14-2012 at 01:09 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6014 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 431

ok.... here goes....

new marlin barrels are made in the remington plant hence the rp stamp. the barrels are sent to the marlin factory to be assembled with the rest of the gun.

my marlin 1895GBL in 45/70 is of new construction and the only thing i hated about it was the crappy leaf rear sight and front bead.

everything else is very very good and accuracy is absolutely great. ive added an xs ghost ring rail combo to replace the crappy stock sights. all i had to do was mechanically center the rear which had it only off center to the left by 3 inches at 100yards for initial sight in. this is closer barrel reciever screw hole alignment than my bcm middy had out of the box!!

if marlin had any issues you couldnt prove it by my gun. i cant speak to the quality of their 22lr's

some pics since most threads are worthless without em. ignore the acog it was a joke.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

big shrek Likes This 
Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #20

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I went to a lgs about the time the complaints about Marlin lever guns were running the highest. They have their rifles out on a rack so you can really check them out at that lgs. They had about 15 Marlins with about 10 of them being lever guns. I looked at every Marlin they had very close making sure to check for the common complaints of the barrels not being aligned and the sights being out whack. I also checked the actions to make sure they all worked smoothly. I did not find a single problem with even one of those Marlins.

Again I have bought 5 Marlins since they changed ownership. I've had minor problems but that was due to them changing the plastic on the trigger guards more than anything else. They have since fixed that problem. I did buy a 925 that has light strike issues but I will be sending it in for a warranty fix soon. The incredible warranties they have are another good reason to buy a Marlin. I bought that rifle at Gander Mtn. which meant I got a 6 year warranty on it. I plan on taking it back to Gander to have them fix it in about 3 weeks.

I did have a problem getting replacement tg's for both my 795 and my 60SS but that was because they all broke I'm sure. The plastic just wasn't good which is a rare thing for a Marlin. They have fixed the problem now though and I have working tg's.

My new 60SS is much more accurate than my old 60. I don't know if that's just an individual rifle thing or a more widespread thing. I know I bought a 1990 60 not too long ago and it wasn't as accurate as my new SS. Well I'm still calling it new. It's a 2009 edition. It's new compared to my 1989 edition.