Marlin Quality
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

In my opinion Marlin has had one of the best reputations in the business. Recently however I have read some real horror stories about their current quality and customer service while under Remington management.

I am in the market for a bolt action 22 for bench rest shooting and the xt-22 was on my short list. If fact, it was probably a lock. Now I am not sure.

Anybody have either good or bad experience with the new Marlins?

Last edited by LandMonster; 12-04-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I really looked into all of this when I was looking for a lever 30-30. I chose the Marlin for the side eject (easy to attach a scope). Marlins went through a tough time when they left the original factory. I would think by now they should have all the kinks worked out. See this post:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/75422-new-marlin-remlin-quality.html

There are plenty more at that site. I just started looking around at the pawn shops in my area. I picked up an original Marlin (JM barrel stamp) and never looked back.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've heard a lot of bad things about Marlin since the move. Though to be honest I have not looked recently. Hopefully they have got their stuff together. I'd hate ot know that a name liek Marlin could become worthless and to do it at the hands of Remington is even more heart breaking.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 328 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I haven't been impressed with any of the new line of .22 bolt actions I've handled. The centerfire rifle line looks good but not up to Savage quality. Seems to more inline with the Axis, 770 types. Hate to say it but the new 336 seems kind of cheap to me. But I'm comparing it to mine that was made in 1969. Had a 795 for a while last year. Good gun but not great. Ruger makes a better semi.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #5

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Marlin is NOT under Remington. Marlin and Remington have been bought by a company known as Freedom Group. Freedom Group owns Remington, Marlin, DPMS, H&R, Bushnell, and a few others. Quality of product tends to go down when a company is purchased by Freedom Group.

-Matt

Old 12-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
I haven't been impressed with any of the new line of .22 bolt actions I've handled. The centerfire rifle line looks good but not up to Savage quality. Seems to more inline with the Axis, 770 types. Hate to say it but the new 336 seems kind of cheap to me. But I'm comparing it to mine that was made in 1969. Had a 795 for a while last year. Good gun but not great. Ruger makes a better semi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
Marlin is NOT under Remington. Marlin and Remington have been bought by a company known as Freedom Group. Freedom Group owns Remington, Marlin, DPMS, H&R, Bushnell, and a few others. Quality of product tends to go down when a company is purchased by Freedom Group.
Marlin was bought by Remington and both are owned by the Freedom Group, which own many more gun makers. they closed the North Haven CT plant and moved operations to Illion NY and Mayfield KY. there were some minor problems in the initial beginning with some of the lever actions but have been corrected. most of these stories were internet rumours, and not founded in fact, with the exception of a few isolated cases.

the Marlin bolt action centerfires are way ahead of all the other so called entry level bolt actions. much better quality and much more accurate. there is no way you can compare a M770 to an X7 rifle! the X7 is ten times the rifle and a much better rifle even if it cost twice as much! i have owned a 770 and it was pure junk.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #7

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I stand corrected. Are Marlin guns manufactured in Remington factories?

-Matt

Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
I stand corrected. Are Marlin guns manufactured in Remington factories?
some are made in the Illion NY plant, but though it's owned by Remington, they are still a seperate company.

what amazes me is all the trash talk about the Marlins, and most of it's just hearsay and internet myths that gain momentum from many who have no true knowledge about the Marlins. i look at amny new Marlins on a pretty regular basis, and you would think in the gun stores i frequent, if all this were true i would see evidence of this. so far, i have failed to see all these problems that all these trash talkers are stating as facts.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #9

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have an XT. BTW they are built in Mayfield, Kentucky. It is a rock solid rifle. But it is not as accurate as my Savage or my CZ. But it is accurate.

I haven't had a lot of problems with the Marlins I've bought and I've bought 5 new ones in the past few years. The problems I have had were about customer service. It took me a very long time to get replacement parts for broken trigger guards on both a 60 and a 795. But that's because they changed the design and the new ones all broke because they were junk. Those problems have been fixed. I don't know if the slow service is still an issue or not.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8260 Times on 4772 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

I have had problems with customer service, I don't own any newer Marlins though. Finding parts for an old one is a real chore. With my Rugers I just call them up and as often as not they will send me the new part for free. I do like that! With Marlin it is a test of patience to find a phone number to call. A couple of years ago we bought a 795 for my son, the magazine catch (on the mag) was not formed in and so it did not retain the mag at all. Tried calling Marlin and were told to go back to the store that sold it to us, the store said to go to Marlin or that they would exchange the whole rifle (requiring new 10-day waiting period in CA). Back and forth led to me getting pissed and making a bunch of calls to anyone I could get to pick up a phone as well as some emails. Eventually Marlin sent a new mag, and the same day the store called and said to come and exchange the mag there. So I ended up with two instead of one. Not worth the trouble I had getting them though.