Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin model 80DL sight help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Marlin model 80DL sight help needed

Hi fellas. I've got this Marlin 80DL and it has the peep sights. Everything works well but I'm not a huge fan of the peep. It has a short "male" dovetail on the barrel for what I assume would be an open sight on the regular model 80. I was thinking of mounting a folder or red dot but I don't understand these side mounts or this funny dovetail on the barrel. Could you guys give me some ideas for a better sight and any options I might have? I would prefer something a little faster and easier to see in low light. There isn't much info around on this gun. Thanks much.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2008, 05:07 AM   #2

Okay, I think I've figured the dovetail out. Even though it looks like it's part of the barrel, I think it's just a slug to keep the dovetail clean. Boy am I stupid! Anyway, that should allow me to at least mount a good folding leaf sight for now. I see that they come in different heights, does anyone care to take a guess at the height I should be using? Is there a method or equation I can use to determine the correct height?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #3

Maybe I should just try the peep sight for awhile and see what that has to offer. I got looking at it tonight and maybe it doesn't take that long to sight. I guess it boils down to not being familiar with the peep and not knowing exactly how to use it.
Well this has been a hell of an introduction hasn't it? Here's the short version. 32, dad to be, rediscovering the outdoors once more. Michigan, neither north nor south nor east nor west. First great Michigan winter in my adult life. First real trip to the U.P. last weekend. First "old" gun worth having. I was 18 when I bought my last gun, a stainless/maple 10/22 and a few pre-Clinton-ban banana clips with a 4x fixed Simmons. I was 24 when I sold it for $125 with the then post-ban clips. I've been waiting my whole life to have the extra income to buy anything and I'd like to have two rifles and one scatter gun with a slug barrel. I have the first rifle.
I will post pics of my Marlin in this thread and hopefully someone can help me use this peep sight. I've been cruising the forum for a few days now and I like it. Thanks for the bandwidth!

Old 02-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

is the dove tail on the barrel or futher back toward the reciever? if its back futher toward the reciever it sound like a regular rail for the 22 scope rings to clamp on to

Old 02-10-2008, 04:54 AM   #5

The dovetail is on the barrel like a normal dovetail but it has a block in there probably from the factory and I didn't realize it was a block. I'll take some pics tomorrow of the gun and sights. I noticed that the receiver has four grubs down the side opposite the bolt. I wonder if there's a mount I can get for those and if they're factory taps or gunsmith. They looks good however they got there.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #6

Default marlin model 80

kiddcrok:
I have a Marlin model 80 that I bought in 1962 or '63, as a kid. It came with peep sights, which fell off and I lost. I hunted for quite a while with no sights (and, got to be pretty a good shot shooting instinctively.) I added a scope later, though. I would like to put the peep sights back on my gun (yes, I still have it.) Maybe kiddcrock would like to sell me his peep sights or trade my scope for them?

Old 07-28-2008, 12:16 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Kiddcrock - you say you want a sight to replace the peep because you want a better low light sight and faster target acquisition? You can't get any faster target acquisition than with a peep sight! The reason being that the eye naturally is drawn to the center of a round aperture - no concentration necessary like with standard sights. They may not be as good in low light as an open semi-buckhorn type sight, but why are you concerned about low-light with a .22?

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #8

Default Marlin 80 DL Rear Sight

I realize it has been a long time since kiddrock was on line about the sight on the Marlin 80 DL. I too have a Marlin 80DL which I have had since I was in Grade School ( I am now 69 yoa ). Over the years my rear sight was removed for modification and before the modifications were made the rear sight became lost during a move. If kiddrock still has the rear sight and doesn't need or use the sight, I would be interested in buying the rear sight.
Please reply. Any others seeing this post and have the rear sight for sale, please reply also.