Marlin model 80. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Marlin model 80.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 03:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Not yet but maybe tomorrow,I'm bringing it to work to show a friend (he knows a bit and has helped me in the past,and I want to show it off) and the club I belong to is about a mile down the road.
I believe the trigger is plated but I'm not sure (it's locked up down it the basement) but I'll check.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:19 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10745 Times on 4648 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

The Marlin 80, and it's tube fed cousin, the 81, were some tack driving hunting grade 22s at a very reasonable price. They started making the 80 in 1934, for 5 years, but also made an 80E from 34-40- that one had a peep rear sight. There was also an 80C and an 80 DL. Stocks a bit different, DL had peeps, the C model was made until 1970. There were a coupla different trigger guards depending on when it was made.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #13

Made it to the range today and I think she's got potential!

I used the indoor range and could only shoot 50 feet(our outdoor ranges are currently closed) but that was enough to get and Idea of how she'll do father out.

By the time she was warmed up I was shooting 5 rnd groups the size of a quarter and the last one fit into a dime.(I'll post a range report after I scan the targets in)

The only problem was a recuring failure to eject,the case would pull out of the chamber but stay with the bolt,found that if I pushed up on the magazine (it's pretty loose) that it started to eject.

I think I'm going to replace the scope as it is small and hard to get a good sight picture,and its older and linda neat and I don't want to ruin it.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The Marlin 80, and it's tube fed cousin, the 81, were some tack driving hunting grade 22s at a very reasonable price. They started making the 80 in 1934, for 5 years, but also made an 80E from 34-40- that one had a peep rear sight. There was also an 80C and an 80 DL. Stocks a bit different, DL had peeps, the C model was made until 1970. There were a coupla different trigger guards depending on when it was made.
Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbrickracing View Post
Made it to the range today and I think she's got potential!

I used the indoor range and could only shoot 50 feet(our outdoor ranges are currently closed) but that was enough to get and Idea of how she'll do father out.

By the time she was warmed up I was shooting 5 rnd groups the size of a quarter and the last one fit into a dime.(I'll post a range report after I scan the targets in)

The only problem was a recuring failure to eject,the case would pull out of the chamber but stay with the bolt,found that if I pushed up on the magazine (it's pretty loose) that it started to eject.

I think I'm going to replace the scope as it is small and hard to get a good sight picture,and its older and linda neat and I don't want to ruin it.
Sounds like you had a good time. The original mag in mine is loose and you have to wiggle it in but a new mag fixed that problem. I never had any feeding or ejection issues with either.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #15

That is the original stock and it is a later made 80. The earlier ones had plainer stocks then the later ones and did not have the pistol grip cap or the montecarlo stock

Old 01-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You also have a walnut stock - shown by both the wonderful color and the Marlin "Bullseye" button in the heel of the stock. The cheaper birch stocks were lighter and had no "Bullseye".
My Model 80DL is an earlier model, no scope grooves (makes it pre-mid-fifties) and has a heftier 'adult-sized' stock. I have mine set up with a Lyman peep rear sight and a globe front sight - a "poor man's target rifle", hehehe.

Gotta love those old Marlins - I have nine of them!

Old 05-28-2011, 04:41 AM   #17

Default Marlin 80

I remember my mother buying dad's (now mine) 81DL new @ Montgomery Ward in 1957. No tiger wood & has the bullseye in buttstock. Trigger guard is not looped like yours, just semi-circular. Drilled & tapped on top for something Marlin called a "target disk". Was gonna scope it but was told the bolt handle comes up to high so the scope would have to be set way to high for a .22, or the handle would have to be redone. Gonna get a benchrest soon & see what it can do--it's in darn near new condition. Never, & I mean never, did it see a day of use w.o. a good cleaning.

Last edited by Yaknow; 05-30-2011 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Wrong model# quoted

Old 05-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaknow View Post
I remember my mother buying dad's (now mine) 80DL new @ Montgomery Ward in 1957. No tiger wood & has the bullseye in buttstock. Trigger guard is not looped like yours, just semi-circular. Drilled & tapped on top for something Marlin called a "target disk". Was gonna scope it but was told the bolt handle comes up to high so the scope would have to be set way to high for a .22, or the handle would have to be redone. Gonna get a benchrest soon & see what it can do--it's in darn near new condition. Never, & I mean never, did it see a day of use w.o. a good cleaning.
That should have the 3/8th grooves in the receiver right for a scope? Both my 80's a DL and a Sears Marked 80 have the scope grooves on the receiver and I have a target scope mounted on one with 3/8th to Weaver blocks on it to raise the scope but the Sears one has just a Bushnell one inch tube 22 scope on it and the bolt clears just fine with standard medium rings. It should be micro grooved barrel too. I am pretty sure by 57 they had the grooved receivers and the micro grooved barrels. I have read several places that in 57 they started grooving the receivers for scopes.

Last edited by jh45gun; 05-28-2011 at 05:30 AM.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #19

Default Marlin model 80

Ah oh! I lied big x on that thread. Just took 'er out o' the cabinet & it's not an 80, it's an 81DL-S-L-LR. It's not grooved--it has 4 holes drilled/tapped off to the side @ about the 10:00 position. Not sure on the barrel grooves--I do know they are a lot deeper than any other rifle I own. Sorry for that mess up.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #20

Well I have read several places the 3/8th grooved receivers came in around 57 but then your gun maybe an earlier one in 57. 81 0r 80 they are both great accurate rifles.