Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin Model 60 Reliablity Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Marlin Model 60 Reliablity Issue

I got a Marlin model 60 ( which is called ''The most popular .22 rifle in the world.) for my 14th B-day. I have used it for about a month and probbaly shot around 200 rounds with it. One day I took it out to plink some cans, It was sorta chilly but not overall cold. After about 5 shots it Jammed..... After I unjammed it and checked it, I shot a few more shots and it jammed again. Cleared it yet again went home and let it cool, Cleaned it oiled the action. Went plinkin again, 7 shots it jammed.... So now Im just (for lack of a better word) Pissed at its un-reliablity. I may have just gotten a defect, But if anyone knows anything to help keep it from jamming, It'd help alot. If more info is needed just ask.

Thank you,
Josh

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #2

depending on how chilly it is, the oil could be gumming up. otherwise, pull it apart and clean everything on it.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 win View Post
depending on how chilly it is, the oil could be gumming up. otherwise, pull it apart and clean everything on it.
It was about 55 degrees, Maybe 50 with the wind gusting. I oiled it with Remington Gun Oil, and I forgot to mention that I cleaned it 2 days before It started jamming. and it was perfect before that....

Old 12-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #4

maybe try not using as much oil on the action and see if that helps.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #5

Liked 213 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Default Define "cleaned it"...

1) Have you been dry-firing the gun at all? (Pulling the trigger when the chamber is empty.)

2) Did you disassemble the gun to clean it, or just clean the inside of the barrel?

Old 12-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #6

No I havent dry fired it, and I justy cleaned the barrel, and re-oiled the chamber with a small amount of oil, Just enough to let it slide smoothly.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #7

Liked 213 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 172

OK then. In that case - you probably should remove the action from the stock and then give the bottom of the action (feed assy & trigger) a good cleaning. Lots of powder residue can build up down there and gum up the works. Get a can of "Gun Scrubber" (spray can) and flush everything out real well. (Walmart carries it.) A Q-tip works well for scrubbing away any chunky bits. You might want to run a patch through the magazine tube as well to make sure it is clean as well.

Best of luck.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
OK then. In that case - you probably should remove the action from the stock and then give the bottom of the action (feed assy & trigger) a good cleaning. Lots of powder residue can build up down there and gum up the works. Get a can of "Gun Scrubber" (spray can) and flush everything out real well. (Walmart carries it.) A Q-tip works well for scrubbing away any chunky bits. You might want to run a patch through the magazine tube as well to make sure it is clean as well.

Best of luck.
Ill try it, Thanks for the help.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #9

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

This is a great walk through on proper cleaning.
Marlin Model 60 Disassembly
Cheap bulk ammo tends to gum them up quick. Winchester wildcats, Aguila Eley primed subsonic and hyper velosity, as well as CCI (all) in .22lr shoot extremely well and don't gum up the action.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 12-13-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #10

Do what Highpower said and it should take care of your problem.
It is what I do with my 60 damn near to the letter after 250 300 rnds,also go easy with the oil as it can trap and hold the dirt and residue.
Good luck!

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.