Marlin Model 60 .22 LR help
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Marlin Model 60 .22 LR help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Marlin Model 60 .22 LR help

I was recently gifted a Marlin Model 60 .22 Long Rifle from my grandfather. This thing is old, but shoots well. The only problem I'm having is that, under certain conditions, the rifle jams. The rifle has a tubular magazine, and it fires fine for the first 5 or so rounds. However, once I get down to around 10 rounds almost every shot the gun jams. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the spring in the tubular magazine, as I've been told, or a more serious issue. I just thought I'd get a second opinion. Thanks all!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #2

Liked 2155 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

If you only put about 6 rounds in the tube does it do it right away? If so the spring is a good assumption. If not, you will need to look elsewhere.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #3

Liked 108 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 41

The 1st thing I'd recommend is a good cleaning & oiling. After a good cleaning try it. Let us know if it's still malfunctioning. Then we can go from there.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:29 AM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

I have a marlin model 60 as well same issue, but after a deep cleaning 3 rounds and it jams. I have tried different ammo had it cleaned by a local gunsmith(I thought I was missing something). Still jamming!!!

Old 04-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #5

Liked 108 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 41

It's hard to diagnose problems without seeing exactly what they're doing-at least for me. It could be 1 of several things from a weak spring (magazine or lifter) to a worn or broken part. I'm cursed in that I have to actually see what it's doing before I can make a determination of exactly what is wrong. Try just loading 2-4 rounds in the mag and see what it does like the other poster said. If it's a inner mag tube spring that's an easy fix.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
KMO

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I inherited a Marlin 60 knock-off model a few years ago. The rifle had barely been fired, if at all. I lubricated it and when I took it out for the first time, it jammed & jammed. A local gunsmith advised me to give the action a good soak for a few days in mineral spirits. He thought that some of the old oil had probably hardened up & gotten sticky, so just putting fresh oil on top of the old wasn't working. I think he was right...it was an easy fix. A good mineral spirits bath & some brushing with a strong-bristle brush, followed by another oiling, and that rifle worked perfectly...didn't require any parts to be replaced at all.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:31 AM   #7

To Rick and Stalking Bear:

I cleaned and oiled the gun both before and after each firing. I still get the jam. But it only happens when I have between 5 and 12 rounds in the magazine, which leads me to believe it is a spring issue. That would really make me happy, because that's apparently very cheap and simple to fix.

To KMO:

Yeah, i thiught about that too. Only thing is, it's not a consistant jamming problem. Like I said before, it's only when I have between 5 and 12 rounds in the magazine that it jams up, and even then SOME of the rounds don't jam. I figured something like what you described would lead to it jamming on every shot.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My model 60 is finiky, as are most, you should try some different ammo's and see if one brand or load works better. mine loves federal champion target, it's not expensive either, that helps. I tried some brands( cant remember which) that would jam 3 or 4 times in one magazine! Mine is also old, from the mid
60's.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3456 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 374

It sounds like a mag tube issue, probably the spring. It may be gummed up. I would clean the mag tube inside and out, VERY WELL. If old oil has gotten gummed up inside the tube, it will hinder proper function. If that does not solve the issue get a new mag spring.

The VAST majority of the problems in .22 rimfires is directly related to fouling. Thorough cleaning solves most woes.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:46 AM   #10

Is there a dent in the tube itself? If the plunger hangs up in the same spot maybe there is a dent or a bend in the tube. When it jams what happens, does the spent round eject and the bolt closes with no round in the chamber?
If that is the case can you recharge the bolt and fire? The 4 Marlin 60's I have never have had that problem....

Tags
.22, jam, long rifle, marlin, model 60