Marlin Model 49 Problem: Reassembly!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin Model 49 Problem: Reassembly!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Marlin Model 49 Problem: Reassembly!

So I am cleaning this filthy Marlin Model 49 .22 LR and now I can't get the dang thing back together correctly.

When I pulled out the trigger assembly the hammer was cocked. While I was cleaning the assembly, I deliberately pulled the trigger and the hammer came down of course. I finished cleaning and lubing all components and put the .22 back together.

However, pulling the charging handle back does not cock the gun anymore (I'm ashamed to admit it worked fine before I got my hands on it). So I pulled the assembly back out and tried to put the hammer in other positions and it still will not charge/cock when I pull the charging handle back.

Note that I did NOT disassemble the trigger assembly so it cannot be anything connected to that. I feel that the issue has to do with the orientation of the hammer during reassembly but I know nothing about this particular .22 (it's not mine) and the Marlin website does not offer help with these older models.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated. I feel like I'm missing something pretty basic here but I sure can't figure it out. Is there something quirky about reassembling the model 49?

Thomas

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #2

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

You did not say if you let the hammer fly off full cock when you pulled the trigger or eased it forward. If you let it go on it's own, you most likely damaged the hammer and/or sear or any of the associated springs. Do not dissasemble the group, you probably won't get it back together. Take it to a gunsmith and he will check the hammer, sear, disconector and springs.Don't take him a bag full of parts (have had many come to me like this), you will be charged extra. Hope this helps..

Jim...........

Old 07-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #3

Default Marlin Reassembly Completed

Thank you for your assistance. Ultimately, I did take it to a gunsmith who informed me that I allowed the hammer spring to jump off the correct alignment on it's strut. He fixed it for me, $10. Not a bad price considering I spent three hours (at least) mulling this problem over!

I put together my own version of an "owner's manual" for this .22. It's a powerpoint presentation. I'm happy to e-mail it to anybody who wants it.

Thomas

Old 07-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #4

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
Thank you for your assistance. Ultimately, I did take it to a gunsmith who informed me that I allowed the hammer spring to jump off the correct alignment on it's strut. He fixed it for me, $10. Not a bad price considering I spent three hours (at least) mulling this problem over!

I put together my own version of an "owner's manual" for this .22. It's a powerpoint presentation. I'm happy to e-mail it to anybody who wants it.

Thomas

Good to hear you got it repaired.

Jim..........

Old 09-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #5

Can I get a copy of your powerpoin presentation?

Old 09-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #6

Yes, I just sent it.

T

Old 05-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #7

Default Marlin 49

Do you still have power point.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark885 View Post
Do you still have power point.
Here's a PDF manual for the 49 and a Power Point presentation on taking down the model 60, should be similar to your 49.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/marlin_49.pdf

Model 60 action assembly - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Old 12-27-2011, 01:05 AM   #9

I had the same thing happen to me but it was my bone headed buddy that took it apart

Old 12-27-2011, 03:11 AM   #10

Anyone got the print off he made?