Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin Mod 60 vs. Ruger 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 02:37 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

I dont want to Hijack my own thread, but I just yesterday found a Mossberg 702 (.22lr) which is priced in between the two. It solves the tube fed issue as its a Magazine design, but has a very similar style to the Ruger. In all honesty, I just want a .22 to take to the range and have fun with. Id rather spend the money I would spend on accessories to get a new Shotgun. Has anyone had any experiance with the Mossberg 702?

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 08-23-2009, 02:54 AM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
I dont want to Hijack my own thread, but I just yesterday found a Mossberg 702 (.22lr) which is priced in between the two. It solves the tube fed issue as its a Magazine design, but has a very similar style to the Ruger. In all honesty, I just want a .22 to take to the range and have fun with. Id rather spend the money I would spend on accessories to get a new Shotgun. Has anyone had any experiance with the Mossberg 702?
I believe it's made in China. I would get the Marlin. There is no issue with tube magazines - anyone who claims there is doesn't know what they are talking about! A tube feed mechanism is the least likely to fail due to the fact that it is the simplest feed system available. A box magazine relies on several factors to work perfectly including angular alignment of the shell with the feed ramp, correct forming of the feed lips on the magazine, and correct spring tension of the magazine spring. Most box magazine .22's will jam if pressure is applied to the bottom of the magazine, as in resting the rifle on the magazine or placing your palm under the magazine. The Ruger rotary magazine is a mechanical wonder that doesn't always perform flawlessly. The more mechanically complex something is, the greater the likelihood of it failing. As I said earlier, the Ruger has killer looks compared to the Marlin, and has more upgrades and accessories than an AR-15, but the Model 60 is still the worlds best selling .22, so they must have done something right!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 08-23-2009 at 03:00 AM.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

I have a Model 60 that I bought new in about 1977. It still works fine (after 100,000 + rds) but the aluminum receiver to barrel fit is all jacked up. There is no way to fix this. I believe it is simply press fit and is way LOOSE.

I have a 10-22 that gives yeoman service, can be accessorized and barrels can be easily changed out.

Question that just popped into my head - Can a 17 Mach II barrel be installed on a standard 10-22? Will mags work? Does the bolt have to be swapped out to a lighter mass unit?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #24

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You need a stronger spring and HEAVIER bolt to convert to the .17HM2. The mags will work but be sure to "upgrade" to the heavier bolt & spring along with the barrel. They offer conversion kits that contain all the above parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I have a Model 60 that I bought new in about 1977. It still works fine (after 100,000 + rds) but the aluminum receiver to barrel fit is all jacked up. There is no way to fix this. I believe it is simply press fit and is way LOOSE.

I have a 10-22 that gives yeoman service, can be accessorized and barrels can be easily changed out.

Question that just popped into my head - Can a 17 Mach II barrel be installed on a standard 10-22? Will mags work? Does the bolt have to be swapped out to a lighter mass unit?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2588 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Hmmm. That's the opposite of what I would expect from a blowback operated gun. I figured the lighter bullet and bottleneck case would reduce bolt thrust and necessitate a lighter bolt. Nice to know.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #26

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The reason for the heavier bolt/spring is due to the higher pressures generated by the .17HM2. The heavier bolt will resist moving for a split second longer as you know.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Last edited by stalkingbear; 08-25-2009 at 03:10 PM.