Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin Mod 60 vs. Ruger 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I personally havent had trouble with the plastic parts. Not sure about anyone else, but its pretty durable and light. I've used this little gun to go hunting in 15 degree weather and its been knocked around. Still kicking!

S.S.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #12

I wasn't bagging on the durability of the parts so please don't think I was being an azz. I just think it sucks tha Ruger would pick their most popular firearm, which they probably don't even have to market very heavily and still sell thousands, then cheapen it up by using plastic. I realize function before fashion but they did it only to save a buck, when they are making money on them already.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 08-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #13

I know you weren't bagging on them, because what you stated was a fact. They do use plastic. I was just reassuring the OP and any viewers who read it that although plastic, its durable and should not be looked down upon because of it. I agree, I'd prefer a better material used, but it helps the weight of the gun.

S.S.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Another consideration is reliability. Any gun with a box or rotary magazine is subject to jams periodically. My friend bought the 10/22 Magnum when it came out. That gun would not feed 2 rounds in a row no matter what ammo he used. I have seen the standard .22 LR Ruger rotary mags jam also. A tube fed gun rarely if ever jams.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was talking to a guy who comes in to my job a lot and he was telling me about his marlin. he said it's like a single shot now because rounds don't feed from the tube any more. but he also mentioned that he'd had it for AGES. I've never had any personal experience with them so I can't comment but I can restate my earlier statement. You will NEVER regret the Ruger.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #16

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you want my opinion, go to this thread-
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/my-squirrel-rifle-16557/
That's just 1 example of what can be done with 10/22s. I HIGHLY prefer 10/22s over Marlin model 60s.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #17

I have had a Marlin since I was about 12 or so. I have shot it many times with no problems. I have shot it slow taking my time to aim, and have shot it as fast as I could pull the trigger. It has never jammed on me yet. It is easy to disassemble and clean also. From what I have heard on the 10/22, it is supposed to be reliable also. I can tell you that if I were to buy another 22 it would be the Marlin, but that is my personal choice. Good luck with what you decide.

If you can't make them see the light, make the feel the heat: Ronald Reagan

Old 08-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta1588 View Post
I was talking to a guy who comes in to my job a lot and he was telling me about his marlin. he said it's like a single shot now because rounds don't feed from the tube any more. but he also mentioned that he'd had it for AGES. I've never had any personal experience with them so I can't comment but I can restate my earlier statement. You will NEVER regret the Ruger.
About the only reason that could happen is if the spring has taken a set. Tell your friend replacement springs are cheap. This happens when people leave rounds stacked in the tube...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #19

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Thanks for all the input guys! I had no idea the ruger was that modifyable (i looked into its accessories last night). However the price may be a issue for the time being, unless I decide to sit tight on the .22 and save for it.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 08-23-2009, 02:11 AM   #20

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The 10-22 rifle is more reliable IMO, because it uses a flush fit rotary magazine. It is better protected from getting banged up vs a tube loader, or a magazine that protrudes from the bottom of a given rifle. Faster and easier to reload, (especially if you have a few extra 10-22 mags) and while using only one hand, and/or on the move.

With all the aftermarket doodads out there for the 10-22, a body can turn it into thier own little version of what they feel a 22 rifle should offer. anything from a competion rifle to an "M14 training rifle"....(my next 10-22 project), and whatever they can imagine. The king of versatility.

If I still owned a Marlin 60, 597, AR7, etc..... I would trade it straight across for a bone stock 10-22 any day of the week, including Sunday. (Preferably one with a plastic trigger group, so that I can put it to the test myself.) If it turns out to be a lemon, a replacement can easily be located.

I keep putting my M14 training rifle project off because I would rather spend that money on more ammo...

Both of these bone stock 10-22 's will eat just about any kind of 22lr offerings out there, and are plenty accurate for what their intended purpose is..in my own little arsenal.

Since your milage may vary, see if you can get your mitts on both of um, and go out and shoot some rounds down range for yourself. Which rifle feels more comfortable in your hands, and which rifle do YOU shoot better with?

Grunt