Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin Mod 60 vs. Ruger 10/22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Default Marlin Mod 60 vs. Ruger 10/22

Alright gents! Iv wanted either a Marlin Mod 60 or a Ruger 10/22 for some time now. What I want is to know what everyone else thinks about these two guns. I know there has to be some strong opinions one way or the other on these two great firearms and I wanna hear them! Currently Im leaning Marlin simply becuase it seems to be easier to dissasemble and clean. Im not going to use it for anything more then plinking. Any and all input is appreciated!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

you will never regret the 10/22. It's just reliable, well-made, and has endless possibilities. not to mention beautiful. I own one that I've customized and im still itching to get one with a wood stock and a SS reciever/barrel and leave it that way.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:35 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well, there's the price consideration, capacity, modifications,but they're both reliable.

Other than that it's just personal preference. I have a remington 597 and would like a marlin .17.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:19 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well the Marlin Mod.60 is the most produced .22 in history and is accurate and reliable. The Ruger is a close 2nd with much more potential for adding things like stocks and match barrels. The Ruger looks nicer IMO, but the Marlin is more nostalgic, more accurate out of the box, and a bit cheaper. So, it's really a case of personal preferrence.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-22-2009, 02:56 AM   #5

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

How much of a benefit is the bolt stop? This will be my first Semi-auto.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 08-22-2009, 02:58 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The model 60 is a fair gun. It was over produced in my opinion. I'd gladly trade you a model 60 for a Ruger 10/22

Old 08-22-2009, 03:13 AM   #7

Another vote for the 10/22 here. There isn't a single part on that rifle you cant replace easily after a quick internet search.

[iphone commercial]So if it breaks, or you want it to perform better.... there's a part for that.[/iphone commercial]

Also, it is the easier rifle to tinker on as far as DIY upgrades.

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Old 08-22-2009, 04:40 AM   #8

I love my ruger 10/22. I asked for a marlin model 60 for Christmas and got a Ruger 10/22. I like the amount accessories for it. Its a better defensive weapon, if a 22 rifle was your choice. You can get larger magazines, as long as you dont live in a liberal state. Marlin Model 60 is tube fed, so you cant really do that.

Just my 2 cents. Dont spend it all in one place. Buy something nice. Pay it forward.

S.S.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #9

Liked 400 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 1126

i've owned both,they both performed well and i liked the way they both handled nice but in they end i choose the ruger,simply for the magazine fed ruger compared to the tube fed marlin, i like the covinence of having spare magazines at the ready for quick and easy reloading.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #10

If you plan to modify anything then the 10/22 is the way to go. The newer ones have plastic trigger housings which, in my eyes, is super cheesy.

I have 4 or 5 10/22's alll in various stages of modification, and one SS/ laminate model 60. The Marlin feels more substantial, for lack of a better term I guess, more like a rifle I suppose. When I was 16 and just wanted to pliw through ammo quick the 10/22 got the nod. Now I more often than not reach for the Marlin.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either if you can get past the plastic parts on the Ruger.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-