Marlin Lever Action .22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin Lever Action .22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Marlin Lever Action .22

Hi, I've been reading through the threads and have seen several references to the Marlin lever action rifles, as being 39As or 39Ms or mounties, etc.. and I'm a bit confused about over which is what? Are they both/all still in production, and which came first, the a or m or mounties, etc.. My reason for asking is I recently pulled my rifle out of the closet and broke it down for a cleaning and oiling, then reassembled it, and began researching it a bit. I bought it new in 1981, and the serial number reflects this as being the year of mfg., and it is stamped "original golden 39m" on the barrel. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #2

not sure how they were ordered but mine is a 39A "Golden" Mountie

manufactured in '65 i believe.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

In the beginning was the number, and the number was 39. And the people first looked upon the number in 1922, and the number was good. In 1938 the people looked upon the number 39, and found it needed changes to shoot high speed ammo, and the 39 begat the 39A. But some disbelievers felt the shape of the stock did not fit their gnarled fingers, and the 39A begat the 39M, 1960-1987. Later, the 39A sought to distinguish itself, and consorted with cheap women, and decorated itself with a gold plated trigger, and pronounced itself the "Golden 39A". Divers false prophets appeared to the people, announcing themselves as varied 39As, such as the Mountie, the Article II, the TDS, the 39D, and the 39 AS. And the people looked on the Marlin in all its forms, and it was pleasing to the eye, and the people made many sacrifices of squirrels and bunny rabbits.

Can I have an Amen?

Seriously, you could have a good collection of nothing but varied Marlin 39 models. They are pricy as hell, but made of honest machined steel and black walnut. MY grandkids are still shooting the rifle my Mother bought my Dad as an anniversary gift. Reliable, accurate, as durable as an anvil.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #4

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default The 39A

I have a Golden 39A bought it my first year at Mas Bay Community College in Watertown,Ma in 1969. I purchased the rifle at Ivanhoe gunshop in Watertown! I have yet to see lever action made as nice as the Marlin! It is the Cadillac of lever action repeating rifles.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:51 AM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt8110 View Post
! I have yet to see lever action made as nice as the Marlin! It is the Cadillac of lever action repeating rifles.
You don't like a Winchester? Just curious how you think the Marlin is better. I do like the way a Marlin ejects a little more but other than that the action on a Winchester is pretty dang nice. I've not been able to find many outside of fan boys that will give an opinion on things like this and it gets a little frustrating. I've read a few of your posts and believe you might be one of the few that could give a real opinion outside of the fan mentality.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:26 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Winchester made a nice rifle. Notice the past tense- IIRC, the 9422 went out of production 5 years ago. The top ejection does become an issue if you want a scope. Henry also makes a nice lever action .22. But the Marlin, IMHO, is a better designed and better built rifle.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #7

c3shooter, well done. I think I have a better understanding now. So I wonder, when the 39m was introduced, was it a golden from day one? Does anyony know? Thanks

Old 02-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Winchester made a nice rifle. Notice the past tense- IIRC, the 9422 went out of production 5 years ago. The top ejection does become an issue if you want a scope. Henry also makes a nice lever action .22. But the Marlin, IMHO, is a better designed and better built rifle.
Thanks! I own both a Marlin and a Winchester and both are fine rifles. The Winchester is an older model 94 (30 30) and the Marlin is a 1894SS (44 Rem Mag). Calibers aside I enjoy the action of the Marlin more. They are fantastic rifles. Don't get me wrong. I do really like the Winchester and will never part with it. But I think the Marlin's action is more smooth. Being what they are I really don't have much need for a scope and still I like the Marlin more. I( had one in 30 30 and traded it off and have regretted it since.

I get a lot of the Winchester is better stuff but it's a fan thing I think most the time it's fanspeak. Thanks again for your reply

Old 02-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The Winchester model 9422 & the 9422m has side ejection. Having said that let me throw another dog into the fight-the Browning BL-22. If you want to talk about a SLICK action now check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-28-2010, 01:44 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Bear- my bad, and you are absolutely right on the side eject for the 9422s. Yes, the BLRs are beautiful little rifles- somewhat scarce around here. Me, I lust after the Browning 22 autos- maybe a Grade III made in Belgium......

Or a Merkel 28 gauge, or a Purdey in .410/20/12, or a Holland & Holland double rifle, or a.............. excuse me- I gotta go wipe the drool off'n the keyboard.................