Marlin halting production?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin halting production?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Marlin halting production?

I was looking for a Marlin XT-22 and discovered that they were impossible to find, brand new in the store.

Remington bought them out, apparently, and they have not been putting out new rifles.

Any news from anyone on Marlin?

A lever-action .357-mag carbine (1894CSS) was at the top of my list and they're not available new right now, either!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I was looking for a Marlin XT-22 and discovered that they were impossible to find, brand new in the store.

Remington bought them out, apparently, and they have not been putting out new rifles.

Any news from anyone on Marlin?

A lever-action .357-mag carbine (1894CSS) was at the top of my list and they're not available new right now, either!
Remington bought them out about 4 years ago (late 2007 or early 2008), they haven't halted production but they've added a lot of new rifles. A youth lever action for example. The new XT rifles are available but not everywhere and they tend to get scooped up rather quickly for those waiting on them. Rimfire forums were full of people waiting for the XT's and every time one hit a store it was gone in a hurry. Plus, some stores were/are trying to sell all the 900 series rifles before stocking or displaying the XT's.

The lever action you're looking isn't as popular as some of the other calibers, the 30-30, the new .308 and .338 Marlin Express etc. Might be why they're hard to find. Did you ask anyone if they had some in stock? Wal-Mart here doesn't have a display for every rifle and some are actually in the "Gun Room". The Marlin centerfire bolt actions are popular as well, taking up some production time.

Right now Buds has several Marlin lever guns and the XT series in stock, but no lever in 357Mag. If you really want the 357Mag I would suggest reserving one at Buds, they'll let you know when one comes in. They have several in 30-30, a couple in 45-70, and one in 35 Remington.

Is this the XT-22 you're looking for? If not there's six or seven others including a youth model.

Quote:
and they have not been putting out new rifles.
Where's you source on this, as it's not even remotely true. They are, and have been producing rifles since Remington bought them. Production did slow down while they moved into another facility.

Marlin Firearms

Nearly two pages of Marlin rifles.
Bud's Gun Shop - Marlin Rifles

Old 12-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

their production stopped around January of this year when they moved operations to Remington's New York plant. they resumed in about March, and some of the newer Marlins were a little difficult to get at the first of the year until they got production back up and running. i ordered a XS7VH in 308 in February and didn't get it until June. my gun dealer said he was having a hard time then also getting the new XT-22 rifles. they did halt production but resumed when they got move to the Remington plant. the Freedom Group who also owns Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS and others, bought Marlin and HR1871 about 2008.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:50 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

For clarification.

Quote:
Source, Remington - December 26, 2007 - Remington Acquires Marlin Firearms - Deal positions Marlin and its various brands for growth
Remington Arms Company, Inc. (“Remington” or “ the Company”) the only manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition for Hunting, Law Enforcement/Security, Government & Military applications in the United States, today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Marlin Firearms Company, Inc. (“Marlin”). The transaction closed the end of January 2008.
Quote:
Source, Marlin - Remington to Acquire Marlin Firearms
Deal positions Marlin and its various brands for growth

Madison, North Carolina – December 26, 2007 – Remington Arms Company, Inc. ("Remington" or " the Company") the only manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition for Hunting, Law Enforcement/Security, Government & Military applications in the United States, today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Marlin Firearms Company, Inc. ("Marlin"). The transaction is expected to close by the end of January 2008.

Marlin, headquartered in North Haven, Connecticut, also owns Harrington and Richardson (H&R), New England Firearms (NEF) and LC Smith brands of rifles and shotguns.

Tommy Millner Remington's CEO, said, "I am pleased to announce that Marlin's well known brands with a long heritage of providing quality rifles and shotguns to hunters and shooters around the world will join the Remington family. The opportunity to combine two historic U.S. based companies with such storied and proud histories, is both challenging and exhilarating."

"We look forward to working with Bob Behn, a well respected member of our industry. He will remain as president of Marlin, charting a course of further growth and operational improvement," Mr. Millner continued.

Closing of the transaction is subject to certain customary conditions, including regulatory approvals. Credit Suisse acted as financial advisor to Remington with respect to this acquisition. Duff & Phelps Securities, LLC, a unit of Duff & Phelps Corporation (NYSEUF), initiated the transaction, assisted in the negotiations and acted as exclusive financial advisor to Marlin.

Frank Kenna III, Marlin's Chairman, said, "Marlin has been a family run business since 1924 and through a number of important steps, we have grown it into the company it is today. We knew it was time to find the right partner for Marlin to ensure our brands maintain their leadership positions and move into the next century."

Mr. Kenna III continued, "We believe Remington's commitment to the industry, shooters and hunters alike, combined with their resources from a manufacturing and sales and marketing position, will reinforce the confidence, hard work and dedication that our employees and management have put into our brands."

Marlin manufactures a wide range of long guns, from the historic Model 39 and 336 rifles, which are the oldest shoulder arm designs in the world still being produced, to the XLR Series, which are the most accurate lever action rifles in the world. Its lever action 22 repeater, now the Model 39, became the favorite of many exhibition shooters, including the great Annie Oakley.

E. Scott Blackwell, Remington's President of Global Sales/Marketing and Product Development, said, "The history of our two companies in innovation and meeting the needs of hunters and shooters around the globe, combined with the opportunity to further develop the Remington, Marlin, H&R, NEF and LC Smith brands, is not only beneficial to the Company and our channel partners, but especially to our to the end customer. And it is these customers and our employees that have contributed to the success and longevity of these brands."
Although the integration was less than "seamless", with it occurring in 2008 it would not have caused a shutdown in 2011. However there were some previously readily available rifles that became hard to find during the integration and a few months after. The 60 and 795 became a bit scarce and that was unusual.
Quote:
Source, Marlin - Remington Announces Manufacturing Consolidation Plan.

Madison, NC – April 7, 2008 Remington Arms Company, Inc. ("Remington"), the United States' largest firearms manufacturer, today announced a strategic manufacturing consolidation move that will result in the closure of its Gardner, Massachusetts plant ("Gardner"). This integration will be seamless and will not affect our customers or our product offerings.

"While it was a difficult decision to close Gardner, we believe that this consolidation will enhance our ability to more efficiently provide quality products at competitive prices in an increasingly demanding global marketplace." said Tommy Millner, Remington's Chief Executive Officer. "We are always looking for ways to strengthen and optimize our business in order to stay competitive, while also creating additional opportunities for our employees and better products for customers. Our number one goal is to provide our customers and end–users with the best, most innovative products at a competitive price. Consolidation of manufacturing capabilities and migration to common operating systems are expected to create efficiencies that will achieve this goal."

Throughout the remainder of 2008, the integration of Gardner's operations is expected to result in centralized sales and marketing, streamlined operations, standardized information technology infrastructure, and common financial functionality while vigorously maintaining and promoting individual brand identity and products.

Unfortunately, an estimated 200 Gardner employees will be impacted by the closure, which is expected to be completed by the end of 2008. A number of employees will transition from Gardner to other capacities within the Company. For those not transferred, the Company will be offering severance, outplacement, and referral services in order to assist in this difficult transition.
I can't find if or when Freedom Group bought Remington.(still searching) I've seen Remington is "part of" Freedom group mentioned several times. Can't confirm the purchase though. The press release quoted below was from Remington.
Quote:
Source, Remington - September 01, 2009 - Freedom Group, Inc. Announces New Board Of Director Chairman
Freedom Group, Inc. (FGI) is pleased to announce that the Board of Directors has named Walter (Wally) McLallen as Chairman of the Board, effective September 8, 2009. Having served on the Board of Directors since May 2007, McLallen has been instrumental in assembling the largest firearms manufacturer with a world-class management team.
"Grain of Salt" rule applies to Wiki data.
Quote:
Source, Wikipedia - Remington is part of the Freedom Group, owned by Cerberus Capital Management.

Remington is part of the Freedom Group, owned by Cerberus Capital Management.

Freedom Group is an American firearms manufacturer holding company which has acquired notable brands such as Bushmaster, DPMS, and Remington Arms.

Freedom Group is owned by Cerberus Capital Management, a private equity investment firm.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Rossi still makes a lever action in .357 mag. It's may become a nice gun if I ever get mine broken in.........

Old 12-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress View Post
Where's you source on this, as it's not even remotely true. They are, and have been producing rifles since Remington bought them. Production did slow down while they moved into another facility.

I just thought this current paucity of available guns was a new thing, a current situation. Apparently not. Still, all of my local shops neither have any Marlin 22's in stock, nor do their wholesale distributors have any available. This led me to:

a) assume this was a new situation and,
b) ask y'all if my information was correct.

I am glad to hear that this might simply be a local and temporary issue. It still led me to buy a Savage 22.

I don't think I'd want a Rossi lever carbine, though, nearly as much as I'd want a Marlin.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #7

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

My mom has a rossi lever in .44 mag. She loves it, and I'll tell you the fit, finish, and function are immaculate. It's absolutely beautiful, stainless octagon barrel, dark walnut stock, polished stainless receiver and butt plate. Smooth as butter and no problems whatsoever with several hundred rounds through it. I wouldn't hesitate.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #8

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I can tell ya this. Remington DOES NOT OWN Marlin. Remington has the duties of making Marlin rifles now. Marlin was bought out by Ceribus(Freedom Group) which is just an "Investment Firm", and moved ALL of Marlin's operations and machinery to Remington's plant in NY. My understanding is that NO MARLIN EMPLOYEEs went with this move. In a sense you could say Remington owns Marlin, as Marlin is under Remington's roof, but in reality they don't, and that's why you still find guns on a listed Marlin website. They are "in Name" only. Remington is keeping Marlin separate from their own operations, but using Remington Employees. You will find if you purchased a "NEW Marlin" after 2008(?), Remington will have (REP) on right side of barrel as opposed to Marlin's (JM) on left side of barrel, but still have Marlin boldly stamped on rifle, as if Marlin actually made gun. What's also happening, is a Lever Action is something new to Remington and it's Employees, and they just don't know how to operate antique and old Marlin machinery to build something this intricate and having a 2-piece stock that was previously made so precisely fitting, hense the ill fitting stock/forearm, bad functioning receiver to load/eject shell, cantered rifle sights, stocks cracking/splitting and prices that are much higher than before, whereas Marlin's dedicated Employees knew how to adjust these old tempermental machines and still put out a quality firearm that would shoot/function just as good, before the takeover, as they did over 100yrs ago. Marlin has had MANY new lever action returned and Remington just doesn't know how to repair them properly, and returning rifles to owner, still not functioning well. From what I understand also, is that ONLY the Lever Action models have stopped production, until problems are fixed or worked out. You can read all about Marlin's Takeover/Rants/Problems/Production and other pertinant info on Marlin Owners Website. Thank goodness I have older Marlins instead of the new stuff, as I'm sick that Remington is running such an Icon as Marlin's name into ground due to QC and repair FUBARs and only looking for quantity instead of quality. I hope I explained this well enough, as it's a long story pertaining to Marlin, and a lot of info is lost or twisted as time passes, but a lot of Marlin "big wigs" are on the MO website that have a lot of better info than I have or could explain as I don't know what happened behind closed doors. Only what's been told on Marlin Owners website.
Del

Old 12-25-2011, 04:49 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I just thought this current paucity of available guns was a new thing, a current situation. Apparently not. Still, all of my local shops neither have any Marlin 22's in stock, nor do their wholesale distributors have any available. This led me to:

a) assume this was a new situation and,
b) ask y'all if my information was correct.

I am glad to hear that this might simply be a local and temporary issue. It still led me to buy a Savage 22.

I don't think I'd want a Rossi lever carbine, though, nearly as much as I'd want a Marlin.
Savage is a good rifle, I have one in 270 and their rimfire rifles are very popular at the Rimfire Central forum. But I would like to get my hands on one of the Marlin tube feed 22-Mag XT's.

The new XT rifles were slow to hit the streets and sporadic at best in the beginning. They're still somewhat scarce now. One or two in a few different models would show up at a store a not sit long. Some of the rimfire boards were monitoring these pretty close because a lot of people wanted the new adjustable trigger.

To be honest I think Marlin may have spread them selves thin with production. With new lever guns in the Marlin Express rounds, the Big Loop, and two Deluxe models, (336 & 1894) the new rimfires, and they seem to have added a few more calibers to the centerfire bolt action line. Then the $25 rebate on the 795 for the last two or three years, so they were turning those out in large quantities. Plus the Remington purchase and integration, all this in the past 3-4 years probably put a strain on everything. Haven't seen anything in the way of a shortage with the 336 in 30-30, and just a minor drop off with the Model 60/ 795. But these are some of their most popular rifles, and the $25 rebate on the 795 helped keep those flying off the shelves.

I'm also wondering how much slower things are since the integration into the Remington plant.

Last edited by MidnightExpress; 12-25-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i ordered a XS7VH in 308 in February and didn't get it until June.
I got really excited when you said Marlin lever-action in .308. And then I noticed it was in .308 Marlin Express. BAH! What a worthless chambering, since a primary purpose for me is having a rifle chambered in something I can actually store without breaking the bank!

Axxe, you get points for using punctuation, but lose points for not capitalizing your first letter of each sentence.