Marlin golden 39a - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin golden 39a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My second one--like an idiot I traded away the first one--is forty years old. They are man-sized, wonderfully well-made rifles and very accurate, or were when I got mine. The lawyers stepped in and made them start manufacturing them with cross-hammer safeties they didn't need, but mine (and my 336 .30-30, unfortunately long gone) predated that change.

I'm really distressed to hear that quality may have suffered since the buy-out. The model dates back to 1891, and to the best of my knowledge no other rifle has ever been produced longer. If you can find a pre-safety model in good shape, it'll be worth grabbing up and running like hell.

By the way, I was told by someone who should know that a replacement firing pin has to be fitted by a smith. My brother lost the pin from his somehow. I ordered a new one for him, and it fits and functions perfectly. Of course, his 39A is also 40 years old, but I have trouble with the idea that expensive fitting is needed.

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

Old 03-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

It is the one .22 I would never sell. I have 3. Two are collectors (squirrel stocked) and a .39D that I bought new and have absolutely no idea how many rounds have been through it, but it certainly is in excess of 10,000.

I agree that buying an older one will improve the quality.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #13

I know, I know... who is this guy. I haven't been in for quite some time, but I'll be sticking my head in once in a while.

About two years ago my cousin gave me her father's 1957 39A Mountie. It is absolutely the best shooting rimfire I have. Wouldn't trade it for all the tea in china. If you don't have one, get one. You'll never be sorry.