Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin-Glenfield Model 60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Marlin-Glenfield Model 60

Any other model 60 owners out there? I was at the range a week or two ago with my son to get him acquainted with firearm safety and was trying to get my model 60 firing but it wouldn't load from the tube. All I had was HP's and I was wondering if anyone else had trouble with loading HP's. It's been so long since I shot it I really don't remember!

I haven't tried it again since I gave it a good cleaning.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #2

Likes Given: 1

No problems with hollow points here.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #3

I have an older Model 60 that holds 18 rounds in the tube, with the longer barrel (22"?) Mine has always functioned well with HP's, but with 22 rimfire being particularly dirty stuff, I clean the rifle every once in a while. I bet a good cleaning will resolve this issue for you. I have put mine in a Fiberforce type stock, and have lashed a pouch on the stock that carries a couple hundred spare rounds on board. Also lashed to the stock is a Buck skinning knife with guthook, and several home made speed loaders are strapped to the barrel. I make the speed loaders from used up aluminum arrows. Plug one end, cut to length for 18 rounds, attach a cap with a cord to the shaft, and it's a 30 second reload. This will be my bug out critter gitter. I have other choices for two legged vermin, and a side arm for concealment. The whole rifle has been camoflaged, and the pouch, knife, and speed loaders are as well. For what it weighs, it's a lot of capability. With the micro-groove barrel, it shoots accurately too. I have a camo version of a Ruger 1022 for my wife, but the 60 will shoot a little farther well. I carry a variety of ammo, from Colibri SSS with 60 grain pill (looks like a long bullet on a short case) to Federal, Wildcat, Remington CB caps, and the 20 grain Colibri that uses only the primer (no powder) that are so quiet that you only hear the click of the trigger/hammer. They won't reach far, but up close will easily kill grouse/chicken/tree rats/rabbits @ 25 yds with a head shot. They will not cycle the rifle, but I hand cycle the action, and always check the bore if I don't see evidence of a bullet strike at the target. I know they are made for use in pistols, but I have yet to have any that did not exit the bore, though I have shot less than 100 of them. They have their uses in my bag of tricks.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Had probs with HPs before. The Model 60 appears to be fairly finicky with ammo. There's a lot of crappy ammo out there.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #5

Maybe because my old Model 60 is one of the older ones, I haven't had many issues with it being finicky with HP's or any other cheap, bulk ammo. The only time I have had issues were when the rifle's action was gummed up with a lot of crud from being shot a lot without cleaning. I have to clean my 1022 Rugers every once in a while too, to keep them reliable. I have heard of some others having reliability issues with their Model 60's. Maybe I just got lucky with mine. I only gave $80 for it, so I expected to have to do some cleaning with it. I have had issues with other 22 rifles, but not my 60. 22 ammo is notoriously dirty and leaves a lot of deposits in the actions. I have found some videos and other tips at rimfirecentral.com and they have helped me in understanding different actions. Some of the tips offered there have also been helpful in keeping reliability issues at a minimum. Hope you can get your 60 running smooth. My 60 is the most accurate semi 22 that I have. i have a Anshutz blt action with a 4X Leupold compact scope that will shoot just a tad better, but for $80, I am well-pleased with my old 60.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #6

My model 60 is at least 30 years old and will shoot 36 gr HP or 40 grain lead just fine -- any brand. Only when it gets dirty after several hundred rounds does it sometimes fail to eject a spent round. Very accurate gun -- it was on sale at K-Mart for $50!!!!

Old 12-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #7

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've had my my Model 60 since the early '70's. It's one of the long tube ones. It has always chugged merrily along with whatever ammo I shoved into it. Of course, I was brought up to be a compulsive gun cleaner so it has been cleaned and lubed after every expedition.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

It depends on the ammo. Some of the truncated cone hollowpoint (Yellow Jacket type) tends to be probelmatic with several different auto loading rimfires. The rounded profile stuff (CCI) tends to feed well in any of my semi-autos (10-22, Marlin 60, Walther G-22).

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #9

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
Had probs with HPs before. The Model 60 appears to be fairly finicky with ammo. There's a lot of crappy ammo out there.
The Model 60 is anything but picky. I've had 5. They run anything.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Ive NEVER owned one that wouldn't jam after 2 or 3 rounds. Clean or not. Talk about a model I would never depend on, that's it. Got rid of the last one and never looked back. Life's too short and there's better guns out there.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7