Marlin 795 as a SHTF gun....??? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Marlin 795 as a SHTF gun....???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2057 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Actually that would be a possible role for a .22 in a SHTF situation, putting small game on the table. Squirrels, rabbits etc. would be good food because they are small enough to prepare and completely consume, without having to worry about preserving or storing. Deer sized animals would go to waste unless they were used by a group, or meat was smoked or dried.
as long as they are not shooting back lol

Old 11-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #12

Liked 250 Times on 167 Posts

To the OP's question, I picked up a 795 last year, on sale I think it was like $120.00. I really like it for the money, its lite, accurate, and I've never had a malfunction with it. One drawback is the small amount of aftermarket gimmicks available compared to the 10/22.

It is based on the legendary Marlin mod.60 but with a detachable mag instead of tube.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default marlin 795 as a shtf gun

Thanks all for your input. I want a 22 semi auto for several reasons....availability of ammo, low cost, low noise ( compared to center fire), can use as defense weapon if necessary ( the Masad uses the "tap two method"...two shots to the heart...gets them every time). I can cache a lot of 22 ammo in my caches ( I live in an apartment which I know will be over run by the city dwellers....I plan on leaving and retreating north...I have some caches with silver, 22 lr ammo, food,etc.. along the way).. I have center fire guns ( 223, 30.06, 12 gauge)...want a reliable, economical 22 as well. The 795 is short, and I can crop the stock to keep it at 26 inches, add on my "butt cuff" to shoot it. The 22 Magnum and Inuit info is interesting...but I don't recall ever seeing 22 Magnum ammo in any of the guns stores around here. I can take squirrels and rabbits with a 22lr and deer if I must with head shots at 50 yards. I live up state NY and there are plenty of deer around. I understand the Marlin 795 is accurate out of the box. The Ruger 10/22 has a light barrel which I think contributes to poorer accuracy, until accessories are added. I added a barrel stabilizer( home made for about $25...$20 for the clamps, $5 for a bolt and other hardware) to my Ruger Mini 14,( same skinny barrel problem...the shot group expands vertically as the barrel heats up) and get 1" groups at 100 yds...( I also honed the action parts, got different gas valve bushings to go easy on the bolt, and use a sling and rubber bushings on the recoil rod). I don;t want to go thru all that, again, on a 22....I appreciate all of your comments, tho.....IF any one has experience gunsmithing the 795, I would like to know if I could do it, and where to get cheap parts........Thanks again..

Old 11-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #14

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybarbuto View Post
The Ruger 10/22 has a light barrel which I think contributes to poorer accuracy, until accessories are added.
Wrong. Nothing light about the 10/22 barrel. I have two that are bone stock that will shoot out the center of the target at 50yrds. I have a thin profile 580 series mini-14 with an accustrut and other mods and the 10/22 barrel is actually bigger in diameter than the mini. Nothing wrong with the Marlin but its no 10/22.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #15

Liked 2503 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 577

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybarbuto View Post
The Ruger 10/22 has a light barrel which I think contributes to poorer accuracy, until accessories are added. ..
Just to give you an idea of teh accuracy potential of a Ruger 10/22 with a stock barrel and parts you may want to check out a section on Rimfire central called "SuperStock". My stock barrel will shoot sub- 1/4" groups at 25 yds with all stock parts. I just did a little trigger work, and added a pressure pad under the front of the barrel, in the factory stock.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #16

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

The model 60 in my opinion is the best 22 ever made. Now I have a couple 10/22s and they are a fine fine weapon. I just like the feel and fit of the 60 better. The 795 is just a 60 with a detachable mag. No there are not as many taticool toys for the 60 or the 795. Boyd's make a dam fine stock for both of them. They are accurate and reliable. The ftf and fte are caused by one simple thing an idiot that should never own a firearm because they are too lazy to clean it. The 10/22 will do the same thing if not cleaned. The 10/22 is a very popular rifle for a reason, and yes so is the 60. The one vast advantage the 60 or 795 has over the 10/22 is that some yokel will shoot them until they are so filthy they won't run say they are worn out and then sell them to me for next to nothing. Just my opinion anyway......
People Like This 
Old 11-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybarbuto
Hi all,....I have my Ruger Mini 14, with some modifications, a Mossberg 12 ga and an old Nat'l Ordnance Springfield 30.06 as my SHTF guns. Recently I have been looking at 22 rifles.....Being a LOW INCOME person, having worked for 45 + years and EARNED my Social Security ( I hate when they call it Entitlement,...its the money I paid in )...I know most people swear by the Ruger 10/22 but at $250 +...thats a lot of money for me. I have been looking at the Marlin 795. I am wondering if any one can give me some suggestions....1) best place to buy it for discount...2) what you really need for it in the way of accessories for a shtf gun...3) I want to get a parts kit like I have for my other guns....is it easy to work on?.....I was always liking the AR-7 survival rifle.( now made by Henry Rifles as Armalite is gone...I think).....I could KILL my self for not buying them in the 1970s when they came out, for just over $100...( or less). What keeps me from getting a used one is reports that it is tough to work on....change parts, etc... I plan on placing spare parts and ammo in the stock of the Marlin like I did for my other long guns. I carry 120 rounds of .223 in a butt carrier I made up for my Ruger. The secret is to have one spare clip and the rest of the ammo in stripper clips. I use butt carriers for the other guns, too plus have inletted the stock to carry cleaning euipment,.. etc.... Parts suggestions and repair recommendations...as well as sources...greatly appreciated for my purchase of the Marlin 795....a Ruger would be nice,....just too much money...thanks....Please rsvp to barbuto@optonline.net
Mossberg 702. Also not a lot of accessories, but you can get 25 rd. Mags., a good sling, and mount an optic if you desire. Inside of 25yds. I don't even need the rear sight,...just the front. Mounting a TruGlo 2X42 red dot multi rectile prismatic( $110),...but any decent Rimfire scope works fine... I used to live on L.I. And had a " opt online" Email, wife worked for the company for 13 yrs....welcome to the Forums!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 11-08-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #18

Liked 849 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Action repairs on the Marlin autos are rather complicated(very small parts, under spring tension). If you would ever have to take it apart.
I would say save an extra month or two and buy a 10/22 and do no mods.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #19

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeisme View Post
The model 60 in my opinion is the best 22 ever made. Now I have a couple 10/22s and they are a fine fine weapon. I just like the feel and fit of the 60 better. The 795 is just a 60 with a detachable mag. No there are not as many taticool toys for the 60 or the 795. Boyd's make a dam fine stock for both of them. They are accurate and reliable. The ftf and fte are caused by one simple thing an idiot that should never own a firearm because they are too lazy to clean it. The 10/22 will do the same thing if not cleaned. The 10/22 is a very popular rifle for a reason, and yes so is the 60. The one vast advantage the 60 or 795 has over the 10/22 is that some yokel will shoot them until they are so filthy they won't run say they are worn out and then sell them to me for next to nothing. Just my opinion anyway......
My model 60 keeps running with so much junk in it you can't recognize the parts. I just spray it down with CLP powder blast. Let it dry/drain until dry, then lubricate. CLP powder blast has no lubricants and it removes all old oil and grease.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default marlin 795 as a shtf gun

I appreciate all the inputs.....I am really living close to the bone...we earn just enough to pay the bills on SS and working part time jobs at min wage. Thats why each buck is important to me. In order for me to buy guns , ammo or parts, I must sell off my collection of memorabilia I collected when I was in aerospace for 13 yrs.I sold off all our gold and silver years back, but am saving nickels as they have more silver in them than the face value...Again I appreciate all your comments and will consider them before I purchase my 22 rifle....Anthony Barbuto....barbuto@optonline.net