Marlin 795 as a SHTF gun....???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin 795 as a SHTF gun....???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Marlin 795 as a SHTF gun....???

Hi all,....I have my Ruger Mini 14, with some modifications, a Mossberg 12 ga and an old Nat'l Ordnance Springfield 30.06 as my SHTF guns.
Recently I have been looking at 22 rifles.....Being a LOW INCOME person, having worked for 45 + years and EARNED my Social Security ( I hate when they call it Entitlement,...its the money I paid in )...I know most people swear by the Ruger 10/22 but at $250 +...thats a lot of money for me. I have been looking at the Marlin 795. I am wondering if any one can give me some suggestions....1) best place to buy it for discount...2) what you really need for it in the way of accessories for a shtf gun...3) I want to get a parts kit like I have for my other guns....is it easy to work on?.....I was always liking the AR-7 survival rifle.( now made by Henry Rifles as Armalite is gone...I think).....I could KILL my self for not buying them in the 1970s when they came out, for just over $100...( or less). What keeps me from getting a used one is reports that it is tough to work on....change parts, etc...
I plan on placing spare parts and ammo in the stock of the Marlin like I did for my other long guns. I carry 120 rounds of .223 in a butt carrier I made up for my Ruger. The secret is to have one spare clip and the rest of the ammo in stripper clips. I use butt carriers for the other guns, too plus have inletted the stock to carry cleaning euipment,.. etc....
Parts suggestions and repair recommendations...as well as sources...greatly appreciated for my purchase of the Marlin 795....a Ruger would be nice,....just too much money...thanks....Please rsvp to barbuto@optonline.net

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7768 Times on 4213 Posts
Likes Given: 16420

Buy used from an individual for the lowest price. Be flexible and you will find a great deal on a great rifle. Don't add on to a survival rifle. Keep it simple. The less you do, the less you do wrong. My favorite is the Springfield M6 Scout .410/.22 over/under break action single shot. It is not incredibly accurate but it is reliable.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 11-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2356 Times on 1275 Posts
Likes Given: 677

For reliability under nasty conditions I would go with a bolt or break action. Minimal chamber fouling and less problems in general. They will also handle a variety of ammo much better than a semi. You can use anything from BB caps to super high velocity like Velocitors. Tube fed will handle them mixed.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #4

Liked 2393 Times on 1399 Posts
Likes Given: 538

If you think you need a semi auto that is easy to work on, the Ruger is probably the way to go. Even on a budget the secret would be to not be in a hurry to buy, and shop used. While you shop, save money. The longer you shop the bigger the budget, and the better chance of finding a deal that was in the original budget. I bought my "superstock" 10/22 at a pawn shop used for $155. In hardly used condition. I did work on nothing but the stock parts. I did add a aftermarket scope base, and a Bushnell scope eventually. Don't really nead anything more complex than that, other than a sling for SHTF.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #5

Liked 306 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 62

The difference in price between a cheaper gun and the 10/22 can't be that much. A carbine or standard model runs between $190 and $220 new. Stashing a few bucks here and canceling a couple trips out to eat and voila, there you go.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #6

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

No offense, I have a 10/22 as well (and love it), but I think the only use for that caliber in a 'SHTF' scenario would be if the 'S' stood for 'Squirrels'........

funny-squirrels-guns-2-.jpg  

Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2113 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 792

I would be more interested in a 22 wmr for SHTF. Inuit indians like a 22 wmr. They can carry 500 rounds in a cigar box. Inuit's down Alaskan game 75% of the time with the first shot. An Inuit's day to day life is real close to SHTF for us. They are only 500 miles from the closest store.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 11-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #8

Liked 396 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I would be more interested in a 22 wmr for SHTF. Inuit indians like a 22 wmr. They can carry 500 rounds in a cigar box. Inuit's down Alaskan game 75% of the time with the first shot. An Inuit's day to day life is real close to SHTF for us. They are only 500 miles from the closest store.
+1 on the 22 mag! Much more power and range. The ruger American rimfire in 22 mag is ~$260 new bolt action with the great ruger rotary magazine. Add a 4x scope and your done. Many poachers put deer on the table with 22 mag. Would be my choice!

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-07-2013 at 02:02 AM.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #9

Liked 2393 Times on 1399 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
No offense, I have a 10/22 as well (and love it), but I think the only use for that caliber in a 'SHTF' scenario would be if the 'S' stood for 'Squirrels'........
Actually that would be a possible role for a .22 in a SHTF situation, putting small game on the table. Squirrels, rabbits etc. would be good food because they are small enough to prepare and completely consume, without having to worry about preserving or storing. Deer sized animals would go to waste unless they were used by a group, or meat was smoked or dried.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2113 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 792

I was reading up on Inuit hunting techniques. Many Inuit's hunt for pelts. They shoot a polar bear with a 22 mag so they don't damage the hide. The bear dies in 15 minutes. They can easily track the bear in the snow. You are talking about people who have been selling fur since they first made contact with Europeans. An Inuit killed a second generation grizzly polar bear cross recently. Apparently the hybrid bears are not sterile. The bear was confirmed as second generation by Alaskan state biologists.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

NC1760 Likes This