Marlin 795 information and or upgrades?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin 795 information and or upgrades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 237 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Default Marlin 795 information and or upgrades?

I picked up a Marlin 795. I hear a lot about Rugers but not Marlins ( rifle, not fish) I would like to hear about stocks, triggers, optics, barrels, (prefit if available) upgrades. What do you have. What do you know about them.Where are some of the upgrades available. Which ammo has shot best for you. Also, anything else you can bring to the table. Come one come all.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

One of my Cousins Back east has at least one of all four ( and I think he has 9-22 rifles all told!) I know he HS one and says its as good as a basic 10/22. Some would say that is nuts, but I feel my Mossberg is as good as a factory 10/22. Mine is a bit better because it had some stuff done . As for the marlin, I'm sure any scope for a 22 will work fine. He's got the BSA Sweet 22 on his, he paid about $50 for it. One of our folks here wants to give me a Remington Nylon 66 for some computer and security consulting work( so he can part with less cash). I expect we can do most but not all, of the odd that can be done because as you stated, there is more stuff for the 10/22. Check out Boyd's for stocks, and Elysium or JARD for Barrels. They both push Ruger stuff because that's what sells, but I think they both do upgrade barrels for other rifles. Another friend here has a JARD barrel on his Wife's Remington 597...with. 30 Rd pro mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
bradam Likes This 
Old 09-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts

Yep. Boyd stocks. McArbo spring kits. DIP triggers, etc. You can easily spend $200 or more on upgrades.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The best stocks I've seen for the 795 are from Boyds.

Trigger upgrades and scope mount rails from diproductsinc.com. Their adjustable target triggger enables you to take most of the creep out of the trigger pull.

mcarbo.com makes a spring kit that reduces trigger pull weight from OEM 6-7 lbs to around 4 lbs.

There are lots of different scopes in lots of different price points. For peep sights, my favorites are Tech-Sights.

I'd spend some time with it to see how the barrel shoots. If there is anything that people say is better about the Marlin than a 10/22, it's the accuracy of the barrel.

Creator of The 10/22 Companion
Project Appleseed Instructor

Old 09-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 92

I have a 795. I haven't shot it very much. About 300 rounds But I will say it has been 100% reliable so far. I installed a Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x scope on mine. Also bought 2 extra 10 rnd mags. I have just over $200 in this gun. I will say I am very happy with what I've got. That was even with 50 rnds of Remington Thunderbolts!

Last edited by jozimoto; 09-14-2014 at 01:54 PM.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2163 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 805

You are not going to find nearly as many after market parts and accessories for the Marlin as a Ruger 10/22. People complain about the trigger on a 10/22 but it is not the trigger. I did nothing but wax the trigger assembly on my 10/22 and it is great. The 795 is a great rifle if you want to mount a scope on it and start shooting. If the rifle is a project start with a 10/22. The ease of finding accessories will easily justify the extra cost of the 10/22.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 09-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #7

Default Good start

Mine belonged to my sisters Ex- Father in Law whom passed away. Upon visiting one day she asked if I was interested in the 22, as all the other rifles (20+) the grandchildren took but none was interested in the 22. They did take the ARs and larger cal. rifles. Anyway I remember him telling me he had a 22 that was a great squirrel killer. The rifle came with 8 magazines. An interesting ring set up on the Tasco 6x24 scope. He installed two sets of rings next to each other in the front and back. I did get a Boyds stock from a MR. T in Texas. I need to shoot it first to check out the trigger as he may have done some work on it himself. Thanks for the reply's.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Get the Natchezz Catalog or go to their website for mags, up to the 30 Rd pro mag., and slings, Optics, and bags. Can't be sure about a stock from them, but check Boyd's. They have stocks for just about every rifle there is...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
bradam Likes This 
Old 09-27-2014, 01:43 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought a 795 last year and it has been super reliable and very accurate. I upgraded the trigger assembly to a DIP unit and added a set of tech-sights. Just recently I upgraded the stock with a Boyds rimfire hunter, and it's beautiful. Still shoots fantastic.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I bought a 795 last year and it has been super reliable and very accurate. I upgraded the trigger assembly to a DIP unit and added a set of tech-sights. Just recently I upgraded the stock with a Boyds rimfire hunter, and it's beautiful. Still shoots fantastic.
Nice choice of stock. I bought the Boyds SS Evolution in forest camo. Have not installed it yet but it does look wild. Thanks for the tip on the sights and trigger.