Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   marlin 795 help!!! :( (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/marlin-795-help-53542/)

marlin-owner 12-14-2011 12:27 AM

marlin 795 help!!! :(

okay so my marlin 795 is about a year old and i took it out three days ago, all was well till the fourth box of thunderbolts. i know its a cheap round but 1$ per box you cant pass it up. well after the fourth box it started jamming horribly. so i put it away and broke out my mosin. after the day was over i took it home and stripped my marlin to bare bones and found my slide spring guide was bent! a little rod that slips into the spring that guides the slide back. that explains it trying to load 3 rounds at once. not only that, it was dirtier then i had ever seen it, and after 4 boxes, which explains the slide closing on a half way ejected shell. what do i do????? :confused: :confused:

danf_fl 12-14-2011 12:40 AM

Are thunderbolts approved for use in that gun?

Excessive dirt hampers the free movement of parts.

Clean it and replace parts (or talk with customer service.)

marlin-owner 12-14-2011 01:06 AM

i looked up the owners manual online and it says to use only hp ammo and it says not thunderbolt but pretty much any other hp round... would it be considered dangerous if i bent the rod back to the original position???

marlin-owner 12-14-2011 02:50 AM

pretty much my only concern now is, the slide spring guide. i call it the bolt rod for short. it seems extremely strong but it was bent when i stripped it. so i bent it back to original posision. it took a pair of needle nose and a decent amount of force to bend it back. mind you i cut myself on it and had hoppes elite nitro solvent on my hands in the mean time. like putting hot sauce in your open eyeball. but back to my question, is it dangerous?

dks7895 12-14-2011 03:03 AM

Sounds fixed to me. My Marlin 60 performs well with Federal bulk packs from Walmart. I agree that $1 a box is cheap...but you get what you pay for. Thunderbolts are the worst.

marlin-owner 12-14-2011 03:07 AM

alright. thanks everyone for the help! ill probably trade my last box of thunderbolts to my friend who uses bolt action .22's for something more suitable for my auto loader.

big shrek 12-14-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlin-owner (Post 651433)
alright. thanks everyone for the help! ill probably trade my last box of thunderbolts to my friend who uses bolt action .22's for something more suitable for my auto loader.

CCI or Blazer or Winchester or Eley or Federal...good stuff.

Anything made by Remington in the rimfire category = suspect, not very consistant.
Heck, buy ammo from ANYONE other than Remington when it comes to .22LR
Even ARMSCOR .22lr ammo is better!

marlin-owner 12-15-2011 01:50 AM

what about the winchester hp brick. it looks temping with the all wood case and in big writing it says limited edition. i looked at it and inside was ordinary winchester hp rounds in 50 round boxes but no where on it says the velocity??? i would like something closer to 1300 fps because thunderbolts are 1255 and jam up my rifle horribly. idk if its just the components used in the making of the remmys or what.

Marlinman 12-15-2011 02:00 AM

Just buy the federal 550 brick. You might also look into shooting solids in heavier grains like 40 or 45. Federal makes both

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

marlin-owner 12-15-2011 02:07 AM

ill give them a try thanks again everyone!