marlin 60 questions - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > marlin 60 questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 05:41 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks I didn't exactly know how to do it but I think it looks good and that's all that matters

So what should I do with the receiver, paint it?duracoat?

But I want it to mostly match the barrel and that's what im concerned about

Old 10-31-2011, 05:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake

Less than an hour.
So all you need is a jeweling drill bit, a drill press and a clamp to do that?

I thought it was alot harder than that....

Now im going to end up jeweling all of my guns bolts!

Old 10-31-2011, 05:49 AM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagenodland View Post
Im making this my project gun because well...
We have 6 marlin 60's
If that's not to many but this one stood out to me and I wanted it to be to its full potential.
I just want it to shoot minute of squirrel and look good doing it

And on another note,it doesn't have swivel studs. How would you go about drilling a hole for them without cracking the stock?
i added swivel studs to mine after the pictures were taken. how i did mine, i drilled a hole the same diameter as the stud. then used a step drill to countersink the hole from the receiver side until it was just a hair smaller than the knurled nut that it threads into. now you need another nut to fit the stud also. thread the stud into the nut into the stocks, then screw it down until it is flush with the bottom of the inside of the stock. you will notice that there is threads above the nut. now unthread the stud, noting how much threads protruded from the nut, then take the other nut that fit the stud and screw it all the way on. then cut of the amount of threads not needed that were above the nut. after cutting it down to size, thread the nut off and this will clean up the threads where you cut it, making it easier to thread it back into the one you just installed in the stock. the rear one is easier as all you have to do is drill a straight hole slightly smaller because it has wood screw type threads. hope this helps.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:56 AM   #24

Axxe thank you for all the help.

Would you consider this gunsmithing...? At the minimal level of course but it is gunsmithing, right?

Old 10-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #25

Quote:

Would you consider this gunsmithing...? At the minimal level of course but it is gunsmithing, right?
maybe, i call it tinkering! i'm not a gunsmith by any means, but i do enjoy working on guns and can do some things as long as i get info from people who know more than me. there are some pretty smart people on here who know quite a bit about firearms. i have picked up lots of useful information and advise. when i post information on here, i post how i did something or what i used to do something with. not to say my way is the only way, just how i did it. if someone has a better or easier or even safer way, i'm more than willing to learn from them. if i post the wrong or unsafe information or the what i did was wrong, i hope someone will jump in and correct my mistakes. i do try to help those who know less than i do and try to learn from those who know more than me.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #26

Quote:

maybe, i call it tinkering! i'm not a gunsmith by any means, but i do enjoy working on guns and can do some things as long as i get info from people who know more than me. there are some pretty smart people on here who know quite a bit about firearms. i have picked up lots of useful information and advise. when i post information on here, i post how i did something or what i used to do something with. not to say my way is the only way, just how i did it. if someone has a better or easier or even safer way, i'm more than willing to learn from them. if i post the wrong or unsafe information or the what i did was wrong, i hope someone will jump in and correct my mistakes. i do try to help those who know less than i do and try to learn from those who know more than me. your welcome and i hope that i helped out.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #27

I just like the satisfaction of a beautiful gun you redo yourself and looking at the before and after pictures

Old 11-01-2011, 03:29 AM   #28

Liked 2498 Times on 1423 Posts
Likes Given: 1946

Quote:

IMO it's more like rebuilding. There are a couple of nice looking

finishes in this thread, to say the least. Great work, guys.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:49 AM   #29

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
So all you need is a jeweling drill bit, a drill press and a clamp to do that?

I thought it was alot harder than that....

Now im going to end up jeweling all of my guns bolts!
It's called a Damaskeening Tool. It's used for decorative polishing of metal with circular polishing swirls. A process also called spot polishing, engine turning or jeweling. I got mine at Midway MidwayUSA - Menck Bolt Jeweling Tool 1/4"

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-01-2011, 05:03 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake

It's called a Damaskeening Tool. It's used for decorative polishing of metal with circular polishing swirls. A process also called spot polishing, engine turning or jeweling. I got mine at Midway MidwayUSA - Menck Bolt Jeweling Tool 1/4"
Id want a little smaller in diameter than 1/4 because it looks more detailed to me