marlin 60 questions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > marlin 60 questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 03:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Krylon- No. Products like Cerra-Kote, MADE for guns- yes.
But is it glossy because I don't really want a matte finish I want a classic squirrel getter looking rifle...if that term makes alot of sense

Old 10-31-2011, 04:00 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagenodland View Post
Thanks for all the advise and I saw this on another post on here and the guy put black semi gloss krylon paint on the barrel...how would that hold up in the long run?
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Krylon- No. Products like Cerra-Kote, MADE for guns- yes.
i used Krylon Camo flat black on the barrel of my M60 when i redid it a few weeks ago. cerra-kote would be better, but i only gave $70 for the rifle. now that said, i didn't just spray paint on the barrel and put it together. i took it all apart and cleaned everything several times and used 3M scotchbrites to clean and rough up the surface. then cleaned somme more and then did a final wipe down with alcohol. before i sprayed, i heated up the barrel and receiver with a propane torch, ( wife wouldn't let me use the oven for some reason! ) just to warm up the metal then used three light coats just to cover well. then i let it dry overnight. so far it has held up well. very happy with the results. now a more expensive rifle i would spend the money on the cerra-kote or similar product.
marlin-m60-22lr-004.jpg   marlin-m60-002-005.jpg  

Last edited by Axxe55; 10-31-2011 at 04:02 AM.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i used Krylon Camo flat black on the barrel of my M60 when i redid it a few weeks ago. cerra-kote would be better, but i only gave $70 for the rifle. now that said, i didn't just spray paint on the barrel and put it together. i took it all apart and cleaned everything several times and used 3M scotchbrites to clean and rough up the surface. then cleaned somme more and then did a final wipe down with alcohol. before i sprayed, i heated up the barrel and receiver with a propane torch, ( wife wouldn't let me use the oven for some reason! ) just to warm up the metal then used three light coats just to cover well. then i let it dry overnight. so far it has held up well. very happy with the results. now a more expensive rifle i would spend the money on the cerra-kote or similar product.
Yeah your the guy I saw paint his gun on a post
I thought it looked really good
But...how has it held up?

Last edited by sagenodland; 10-31-2011 at 04:25 AM.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Yeah your the guy I saw paint his gun on a post
I thought it looked really good
But...how has it held up?
so far so good. she ain't no safe queen either. i don't abuse my guns, but i don't baby them either. key to any coating is prep work. clean and clean some more. i paid like $70 for the gun, had the scope from another gun when i upgraded it's scope, spent about $10 on materials, ordered a set of 1" rings to fit the receiver, so i have less than $100 in the whole rifle. i feel that if i was going to do a much more expensive firearm i would buy a better product made for firearms. Brownells has some excellent products for sale. even though i did this one on the cheap, i still cleaned and prepped and took my time. even the best products are worthless unless you prep properly.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:46 AM   #15

Can you get glossy duracoat because I've only seen them with a matte finish or even a semi glossy finish

Old 10-31-2011, 04:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Can you get glossy duracoat because I've only seen them with a matte finish or even a semi glossy finish
i think you can get them in gloss too, but i not 100% sure. might check their website to see what choices they have. i have heard good reviews on the duracoat products and don't think you can go wrong if you decide to use it. i just used what i had on hand and didn't want to spend a bunch of money on something to just a small a project.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:06 AM   #17

Im making this my project gun because well...
We have 6 marlin 60's
If that's not to many but this one stood out to me and I wanted it to be to its full potential.
I just want it to shoot minute of squirrel and look good doing it

And on another note,it doesn't have swivel studs. How would you go about drilling a hole for them without cracking the stock?

Old 10-31-2011, 05:08 AM   #18

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
I want to keep the wood stock..well wood and I can see painting the receiver black but I like the jeweled bolt you have how long did that take you?
Less than an hour.
11bolt1.jpg   11bolt2.jpg   11bolt3.jpg   1jbolt.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-31-2011, 05:22 AM   #19

So I refinished the stock and that cheap wood actually had a good grain

I refinished it my own way first by sanding off the finish and then going up to a finer grain all the way up to steel wool. Then I stained it with a rag and standard furniture stain. After that dried I buffed out the extra and sprayed wood verethane finish on it and did 10 coats of that and buffed out with steel wool between coats

And this is the prize from the work
A little amateur but good for my second stock
What do you think?

forumrunner_20111030_221859.jpg   forumrunner_20111030_221916.jpg  

Old 10-31-2011, 05:36 AM   #20

Quote:
So I refinished the stock and that cheap wood actually had a good grain

I refinished it my own way first by sanding off the finish and then going up to a finer grain all the way up to steel wool. Then I stained it with a rag and standard furniture stain. After that dried I buffed out the extra and sprayed wood verethane finish on it and did 10 coats of that and buffed out with steel wool between coats

And this is the prize from the work
A little amateur but good for my second stock
What do you think?
very nice! turned out good. you did a good job with the stock. a little time and materials can even make those cheaper stocks look good.