Marlin 60 cleaning
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Marlin 60 cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Marlin 60 cleaning

Suggestions please. What do I need for cleaning my Marlin 60?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygeegee View Post
Suggestions please. What do I need for cleaning my Marlin 60?
i use brake cleaner, a CLP and a bore solvent.

i remove the action/barrel from the stock and remove the scope. flush all the working areas along with the bore with brake cleaner, then using compressed air blow everything out. clean the bore with a good bore solvent, until clean. then i spray everything with a CLP, let sit for a bit and then blow off the excess with compressed air and then re-assemble.

People Like This 
Old 07-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 594 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default Read my article

FrogLube all the way...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/Baked-Handgun-ala-FrogLube-Gun-Cleaner.html
"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" ó Mark Twain

Old 07-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3590 Times on 1845 Posts
Likes Given: 401

My Model 60 has a plastic (urethane?) buffer at the rear of the trigger group. Brake cleaner may be detrimental to the life of this buffer. Try Gunscrubber, it should be a bit easier on the synthetic parts.

Some will require a flat blade screw driver to remove the action/trigger group from the upper. As Axxe stated, flush it out with aeresol cleaner and lightly lube. Be careful about dinging the muzzle with a cleaning rod. Bugger the crown and lose the accuracy.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
My Model 60 has a plastic (urethane?) buffer at the rear of the trigger group. Brake cleaner may be detrimental to the life of this buffer. Try Gunscrubber, it should be a bit easier on the synthetic parts.

Some will require a flat blade screw driver to remove the action/trigger group from the upper. As Axxe stated, flush it out with aeresol cleaner and lightly lube. Be careful about dinging the muzzle with a cleaning rod. Bugger the crown and lose the accuracy.
i am using a non-chlorinated brake cleaner/degreaser made by Zep called Kwik-Solv, that is safe for plastic, rubber, painted surfaces, metal and electrical components like printed circuits, relays and motors.

it comes in a 22 oz. non-aeresol bottle with a spray nozzle. it also dries with no residue and cleans well and evaporates quickly.

i got it from a supplier at work that is a Zep dealer. i am not sure if this is even available at the retail level or not. i bought a case of 12 bottles a few years ago, andstill have about 7 bottles left. i highly recommend it if a person can get it.
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 07-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #6

Liked 359 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
..... Be careful about dinging the muzzle with a cleaning rod. Bugger the crown and lose the accuracy.
+1

Also get yourself a good one piece cleaning rod if you don't already have one. If you have one of the 3 piece screw together aluminum cleaning rods, do yourself a favor and throw it away.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #7

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Mineral spirits in my parts cleaning tank and compressed air work just fine for cleaning. As for lube, a light mix of Mobile-1 and Marvel Mystery Oil works great with all excess blown away with compressed air. Been using various ratios of the oil mix for years with great results. Also makes a great exterior preservative against rust and corrosion.

Jim............

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 07-01-2014, 09:54 PM   #8

Liked 1257 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 792

any good cleaner.. clp, froglube, hoppes. screw driver, brush. patches, rags. and bore snake or cleaning rods.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:20 AM   #9

Liked 57 Times on 44 Posts

The bore won't need cleaning before the action does. So do yourself a favor and don't clean from the muzzle. Take the barrel and action out of the stock. Separate the action from the barrel. Blow out the action and clean the bore from the breach.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #10
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i use brake cleaner, a CLP and a bore solvent.

i remove the action/barrel from the stock and remove the scope. flush all the working areas along with the bore with brake cleaner, then using compressed air blow everything out. clean the bore with a good bore solvent, until clean. then i spray everything with a CLP, let sit for a bit and then blow off the excess with compressed air and then re-assemble.

What Axxe Said...except I rarely use compressed air last , which can cause moisture buildup. If I can't reach it with a bore Snake, or a brush, it gets Air., but as a last step so I can Dry it out afterwards...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Axxe55 Likes This