Marlin 60 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

Marlin 60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 02:57 AM   #21
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2879 Times on 1580 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by .22hustler View Post
Mounting a scope is easy. Your receiver is grooved for a scope mount. Just buy a scope mount for a .22 with a grooved receiver.If you want to step up on the scope, don't buy just any scope made for a .22. Buy a 1" tube scope made for a high powered rifle. I have Bushnell 3X9' on 4 .22's. Buy grooved receiver mounts for a 1" scope.
There are lots of 22 scopes with 1" tubes. Scopes designed for center fire rifles have the parallax set at 100 yards. 22 scopes have the parallax set at 50 yds. I like the scopes with an adjustable objective so you can set it for any range you like.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:22 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloves View Post
Geez, FOUR .22s! that's great! one fore each... hand?

OK, more to the point... I see how there are groves on the top of the receiver.
I also see groves on the top of my 1911... also for mounting scopes???

Are these the rings i can use?
41682 - 1" Tikka Quick-Detach Rings High Black Matte if so, how do they hold again?

I don't get how groves (previously used as a nail file) will make something 'stick' to
the top of anything unless i'm expected to hold it very steady and balance the
scope atop the gun. That could be a whole new sport in itself!

BTW, on my Mossberg 500 - there were 2 pre-drilled holes that i mounted a nice rail
on, for me optics. Only needed a standard Flathead screwdriver.

*Edit reason: wasn't done typing & formatting*
There's a lot of information on the Marlin rimfires over on Rimfire Central. Probably more than you'll ever need, but a lot of Marlin owners stay busy on there.

Marlin - H&R - NEF - RimfireCentral.com Forums

The picture below is the dovetail grooves mentioned earlier, the 3/8 to Picatinny scope base/adapter is clamped to the dovetail on my Model 60. The scratches you see on the receiver are part of the dovetail where I had to file mine to get the 3/8 mount to fit because Marlin managed to send this rifle out with a badly cast receiver. I have no clue which 1911 you have but it's probably not the same type of grooves we're talking about.

The rings you linked didn't specify 3/8, 11mm, Picatinny or Weaver mount, but the picture looked like a 3/8 dovetail set of rings. However, you won't need the high profile set unless you're looking to mount a 50mm objective scope. Most scopes up to about 44mm with adjustable objectives will fit just fine with the medium profile Leapers mount linked below. This is the mount I put on my 60 a little over a year ago, I was having trouble with the scope walking to the rear with a similar set of split-ring style rings you linked above, this mount stopped the scope creep and has been rock solid since day one.

Like JTJ, I prefer scopes with adjustable objectives, I have yet to buy a rimfire specific scope even though I own three rimfire rifles. The adjustable objective centerfire scopes are just fine on any rifle.

Leapers Accushot 1-Pc Mount w/1" Rings, 3/8" Dovetail. SCOPE MOUNTS.

Marlin 60 - .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion