Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Marlin 60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Marlin 60

I got a good deal on a Marlin 60 SS on a local forum. Looking forward to testing it out. One of my first rifles was a model 60.

I'll get some pics up soon.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-23-2011, 04:41 AM   #2

Likes Given: 2

Very nice, My brother still has his Marlin 60 from the late 80's, It is a black/wood/plastic version, It could use a little love, But its still a nice working rifle.
I loo forward to the pic's

Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

My brother and dad both still have Marlin 60s. My brother's was the first firearm I ever shot. I couldn't begin to estimate the number of rounds that has gone through it. Planning on picking one up sooner rather than later for my daughter to use.

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy,
I'm not surprised that you agree.

"Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

My first riffle was a model 60. My Dad picked it up at Kmart on the way to take my sister and I out shooting for the first time (1st time with a riffle, he had already taught us to shoot his H&R .22).

I was hitting quarters with open sites at 60 paces (not sure the actual distance) on that first day with it. My dad even made a little plaque with one of the quarters.

When I was in high school my sister and I or my friend and I would take it out almost every weekend and kill a brick with it. Then my brother lost the plunger for the tubular mag. for it and it went for a decade without being shot (or cleaned). Then my other brother came up with a new plunger and I started playing with it again.

It kept having FTFs (both kinds) and I finally broke down and cleaned it. I had to use a jewelers screwdriver to 'chip' out the build up, and it's functioning like new again.

Gosh, that guns gotta have over 10K rds. through it.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 03-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #5

Nice. I have one and love to shoot it.

I did have a FTE one time and it shot another round into the casing of the FTE. It messed something up, so you may want to be mindful of that.

Cost $40 for the gunsmith to fix it so it wasn't too major.

Lifetime NRA Member
Paul Harris Fellow - 3 Diamond Level

Old 03-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Picked up one about three weeks ago I really that little rifle it's so fun to shoot.

I love the smell of gun powder in the morning . Hipoints break in my house and see if they work.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1153 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 556

The Model 60 is truly an American classic rimfire.I still have the one I got as a present back in the 70's.There's no tellin how many bricks of ammo that have been shot through that little 22.
I really need to dig it out of the safe and shoot it,along with all the other old 22's that have been resting for years in the safe.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
My first riffle was a model 60. My Dad picked it up at Kmart on the way to take my sister and I out shooting for the first time (1st time with a riffle, he had already taught us to shoot his H&R .22).

I was hitting quarters with open sites at 60 paces (not sure the actual distance) on that first day with it. My dad even made a little plaque with one of the quarters.

When I was in high school my sister and I or my friend and I would take it out almost every weekend and kill a brick with it. Then my brother lost the plunger for the tubular mag. for it and it went for a decade without being shot (or cleaned). Then my other brother came up with a new plunger and I started playing with it again.

It kept having FTFs (both kinds) and I finally broke down and cleaned it. I had to use a jewelers screwdriver to 'chip' out the build up, and it's functioning like new again.

Gosh, that guns gotta have over 10K rds. through it.
As an afterthought, pick up some dental picks to use when cleaning. They get into any small crevasse or crack you can think of.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

This one is used and I don't think the guy EVER cleaned it. The gunk build up in the chamber was incredible. It still managed to fire about 500rds today without a hitch. It was alot of reloading, but that thing is on par with my 597 volquartzen.

Here it is after I cleaned it up and mounted a cheap scope on it.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

It's much prettier with the SS than mine is in bluing, and my stock doesn't have any engraving.

Looks Good!

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000