Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Marlin 60 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/marlin-60-a-40166/)

Gojubrian 03-23-2011 12:56 AM

Marlin 60

I got a good deal on a Marlin 60 SS on a local forum. Looking forward to testing it out. One of my first rifles was a model 60.

I'll get some pics up soon.

VitSports6 03-23-2011 04:41 AM

Very nice, My brother still has his Marlin 60 from the late 80's, It is a black/wood/plastic version, It could use a little love, But its still a nice working rifle.
I loo forward to the pic's

DocWard 03-24-2011 09:01 PM

My brother and dad both still have Marlin 60s. My brother's was the first firearm I ever shot. I couldn't begin to estimate the number of rounds that has gone through it. Planning on picking one up sooner rather than later for my daughter to use.

Jesse17 03-24-2011 09:26 PM

My first riffle was a model 60. My Dad picked it up at Kmart on the way to take my sister and I out shooting for the first time (1st time with a riffle, he had already taught us to shoot his H&R .22).

I was hitting quarters with open sites at 60 paces (not sure the actual distance) on that first day with it. My dad even made a little plaque with one of the quarters.

When I was in high school my sister and I or my friend and I would take it out almost every weekend and kill a brick with it. Then my brother lost the plunger for the tubular mag. for it and it went for a decade without being shot (or cleaned). Then my other brother came up with a new plunger and I started playing with it again.

It kept having FTFs (both kinds) and I finally broke down and cleaned it. I had to use a jewelers screwdriver to 'chip' out the build up, and it's functioning like new again.

Gosh, that guns gotta have over 10K rds. through it.

Colossal Urprising 03-24-2011 09:27 PM

Nice. I have one and love to shoot it.

I did have a FTE one time and it shot another round into the casing of the FTE. It messed something up, so you may want to be mindful of that.

Cost $40 for the gunsmith to fix it so it wasn't too major.

995 03-24-2011 09:34 PM

Picked up one about three weeks ago I really that little rifle it's so fun to shoot.

Txhillbilly 03-25-2011 02:30 AM

The Model 60 is truly an American classic rimfire.I still have the one I got as a present back in the 70's.There's no tellin how many bricks of ammo that have been shot through that little 22.
I really need to dig it out of the safe and shoot it,along with all the other old 22's that have been resting for years in the safe.

.22hustler 03-25-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse17 (Post 471838)
My first riffle was a model 60. My Dad picked it up at Kmart on the way to take my sister and I out shooting for the first time (1st time with a riffle, he had already taught us to shoot his H&R .22).

I was hitting quarters with open sites at 60 paces (not sure the actual distance) on that first day with it. My dad even made a little plaque with one of the quarters.

When I was in high school my sister and I or my friend and I would take it out almost every weekend and kill a brick with it. Then my brother lost the plunger for the tubular mag. for it and it went for a decade without being shot (or cleaned). Then my other brother came up with a new plunger and I started playing with it again.

It kept having FTFs (both kinds) and I finally broke down and cleaned it. I had to use a jewelers screwdriver to 'chip' out the build up, and it's functioning like new again.

Gosh, that guns gotta have over 10K rds. through it.

As an afterthought, pick up some dental picks to use when cleaning. They get into any small crevasse or crack you can think of.

Gojubrian 03-25-2011 10:20 PM

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/v...1/31d9c81d.jpg

This one is used and I don't think the guy EVER cleaned it. The gunk build up in the chamber was incredible. It still managed to fire about 500rds today without a hitch. It was alot of reloading, but that thing is on par with my 597 volquartzen.

Here it is after I cleaned it up and mounted a cheap scope on it. :cool:

Jesse17 03-25-2011 10:47 PM

It's much prettier with the SS than mine is in bluing, and my stock doesn't have any engraving.

Looks Good!