in the market for a new 22 rifle: Sig 522? suggestions? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion >

in the market for a new 22 rifle: Sig 522? suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #41
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6788 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

The 10/22 is going to be the least ammo sensitive with very acceptable out of the box accuracy. If i got ammo my other 22lr wont run i feed it to the ruger.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-12-2011, 12:55 AM   #42

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

[QUOTE=shipwreck;538491]The Sig 522 interests me as well....

From what I have seen on various forums - you do not want the Colt model. Its not even made by colt - it's a Umarex gun... The AIRGUN copany that owns Walther. Walther fans know that there are REAl Walthers (PPS, P99) and the airgun Umarex made walthers (the 22 caliber models). Well I guess from this post you don't like the Colt/Umarex .22? Evidently your dislike doesn't come from actually OWNING one, or ACTUALLY having shot one? It seems funny that one guy thinks he's buying a real AR and gets pissed when he finds out it's a .22 rifle of a proprietary design made to look like the Colt. Then the PARROTS start up repeating the half-baked claims of converted airsoft guns. These Umarex/Colt weapons are ALL produced by WALTHER of Germany in their arms plant. Umarex happens to be the PARENT company of Walther. Umarex has licences from Colt Industries, Hk, and several others. The Colt/Umarex had its teething problems, The S&W certainly did, as does most every arm you could name at the start of production. I own the Colt/Umarex M4, have had it for 2 years. Thousands of rounds out of it, a very good arm FOR WHAT IT IS- a FUN PLINKER that LOOKS like an AR. Anybody buying a .22 should make certain what they are getting- a rimfire plinker that I certainly wouldn't depend on for home defense. I also own a S&W 15/22 Pistol that is supposedly far superior to the Colt/Umarex. They both are NECK AND NECK with each other. One NOT superior to the other. I also own a 10/22 Ruger rifle, NOT the most dependable .22 in my locker, It has developed extractor problems and has ALWAYS been ammo sensitive. My Henry is a nice little rifle, but the black coating, not bluing has peeled since day one. The Sig is currently having teething problems with the ''c'' clip bending and coming unattached. So rice923 I'm NOT trying to rain on your parade, Just be aware that ANY arm you mention or buy will have its detractors, most never having owned or fired one. Find what YOU like and buy it. Best of Luck!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #43

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a 10-22, and Remington 597 and TWO MP 15-22 rifles. The ones that go to the range the most are the M&P rifles.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:12 AM   #44

I noticed a few people complained about the 10/22 being picky with ammo. Is it picky enough that it's considered unreliable? I'll likely be shooting Federal 550 round bulk or Remington Thunderbolt (50 rd box) FYI.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #45

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Like I said in an earlier reply, I had an older Ruger 10/22 (1980's) for years that never had any problems and I'd still have the gun if it hadn't been taken during a burglary a number of years ago. OTOH, I now have a Henry Golden Boy and S&W 15-22 and both are as good as it gets in their respective styles, at least in my opinion. Both are a bit pricy compared to many other .22 rifles - $400 to $500 range compared to $200 for a 10/22 - but are well within the price range of most people. As for the Colt 22 AR clone, I looked at several and they seem to be well made, but opted for the S&W since it offered more of what I wanted at a better price.

Listen to other shooters experience, compare notes and suggestions and actually hold as many guns as you can. Then, as another poster said, find what YOU like and buy it.

Last edited by rachilders; 07-15-2011 at 06:23 PM.