in the market for a new 22 rifle: Sig 522? suggestions? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > in the market for a new 22 rifle: Sig 522? suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yep. For the stock box.
I believe you are limited in Kelpafornia to a ten in it, because it comes under a clip or something (detachable maybe?)
I know the youngest Son had a 50 round aftermarket plastic magazine that got taken away in a probation search. (Long after I was out of the picture, except as support.)
In more sane States, nobody cares what sort of a magazine you have.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #22

yep, we only get 10 rounds mags... it's such a pain to even imagine reloading every 10 rounds

Old 06-22-2011, 11:02 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah. But loading that 50 round took a lot longer than it took to empty it.
Ate bricks of ammo at that rate.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #24

Today, I made a good effort to ask around at LGD's about various 22 long rifles. I had a few minutes of hands-on time with all of the guns below, but no shooting. Please let me know your input about anything with the following rifles. All firearms mentioned were brand new.

Sig Sauer 522: Found for $530 + fees and tax. Rifle felt somewhat too short in length even with the stock extended to the furthest position. The build quality looked very sturdy; metal stock-folding hinge was impressive and solid.

Ruger SR22: Found for $500 + fees and tax. Rifle felt like a good size. I didn't notice any way to fold the stock; am I mistaken on this point? I failed to find a Nutnfancy review on this rifle on youtube (he said he never reviewed it simply because it was too heavy). I'm assuming this would be a good 22lr simply because of the 10/22 heritage. Edit: I watched a disassembly of this gun and it's basically a 10/22 with a tactical stock already on it.

Ruger 10/22: Found for $280 with black polymer stock. This price seems quite high. For my goal of converting it to a tactical stock, the price total would make it more worthwhile to get a real AR.

Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22: Found for $500. Rifle felt very well weighted and balanced. Rifle length was comfortable with stock extended all the way. Stock also does not seem to be fold-able here.

Mossberg 715t: Found for $260 + fees and tax. Rifle felt well fitted for my size. Build quality overall seemed a bit... cheap? Looks nice from a glance. Searched for reviews, but they were few and far between. Just found that they were NOT a true AR, as there are no supper upper and lower receivers. The salesman also told me this gun is not field strip-able. I also do not like the very highly positioned "iron" sights. Price is very enticing to say the least.

Just out of curiosity, is it normal for someone of my height and stature (5'9" tall with a 6'1" wingspan) to like the stock extended to the longest position for the extendable stocks?

Last edited by rice923; 06-24-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6723 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice923 View Post
Ruger SR22: Found for $500 + fees and tax. Rifle felt like a good size. I didn't notice any way to fold the stock; am I mistaken on this point? I failed to find a Nutnfancy review on this rifle on youtube (he said he never reviewed it simply because it was too heavy). I'm assuming this would be a good 22lr simply because of the 10/22 heritage. Edit: I watched a disassembly of this gun and it's basically a 10/22 with a tactical stock already on it.

Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22: Found for $500. Rifle felt very well weighted and balanced. Rifle length was comfortable with stock extended all the way. Stock also does not seem to be fold-able here.

Just out of curiosity, is it normal for someone of my height and stature (5'9" tall with a 6'1" wingspan) to like the stock extended to the longest position for the extendable stocks?
i would skip the sr22 overpriced 10/22 thats about it. just my opinion

ive actually tried the sw mp 15-22 out at the range i frequent. if i didnt already have an AR15 with cmmg conversion i would definately get one

there is no norm. whatever is comfy for you.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 06-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #26

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 130

To be honest, all the prices you've quoted seem a bit high to me but like they say about real estate, I guess it all about location and you are on the left coast! Anyway, you are correct that the stock on the M&P doesn't fold, it simply collapses. I can't say about the other gun's since I don't own one. As for the rifles and how they fit, you ARE dealing with a .22 so they tend to be smaller than center fire guns. As long as it fits you I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #27

JonM: Ya I thought the SR22 was a real AR until I saw the "field" strip video on youtube. Definitely skipping on that one now that I know better.

rachilders: Ya, the prices are a bit higher than what I've seen online and what I've seen quoted from other forum members. Like you said, that's what happens here on this side in CA. I guess the prices aren't too high, since I'd have to pay a $50 FFL charge anyways to order online.

At the moment, I'll still be considering the SW MP15-22, Sig 522, and a 10/22 if the prices are reasonable. The Sig 522 does seem a bit too small though, so I'll go have a second look at it in stores again.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are shopping in San Francisco, right?
I would expect the prices to be bumping outrageous, deep in the heart of Pelosi Land.
I hate this State! And I'm a dog-gone native! Grrrrr.....

The firearm only has to suit you. Nobody else will be shooting it. So it has to be what you want.
Heh, heh... you can build the next one yourself. But, I think for right now, get something to chew on and sleep with at night.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnypie View Post
You are shopping in San Francisco, right?
I would expect the prices to be bumping outrageous, deep in the heart of Pelosi Land.
I hate this State! And I'm a dog-gone native! Grrrrr.....

The firearm only has to suit you. Nobody else will be shooting it. So it has to be what you want.
Heh, heh... you can build the next one yourself. But, I think for right now, get something to chew on and sleep with at night.
I must say, I love the weather here tho! Can get a bit breezy but its refreshing to breathe in the fog.

Actually, I plan on introducing indoor shooting to my girlfriend using this 22lr. But that's no problem; she's of nice average build at 5'4". And she won't complain of recoil with it either.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:44 AM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does a .22 recoil???
Just kidding.

Now I lay me down to sleep,
My rifle, my girlfriend, I both shall keep,
And if in the night we're bothered by a creep,
I pray the Lord my aim is sweet.

Glasses and hearing protection!
Many Girls are jumpy around load noises.
Have fun!