Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   in the market for a new 22 rifle: Sig 522? suggestions? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/market-new-22-rifle-sig-522-suggestions-44070/)

rice923 06-19-2011 06:24 AM

in the market for a new 22 rifle: Sig 522? suggestions?

I've been reading around lately about rifles, and I came across the Sig Sauer 522. It fits many of the ideal qualities that I want in a new 22 rifle, those qualities being (in this order):

1. Cheap
2. Cheap ammunition
3. AccurateReliable/Durable
4. Reliable/Durable
5. Ease of Maintenance
6. Aesthetically Appealing

I based most of these judgments from the Sig Sauer 522 review by Nutnfancy on Youtube.

With that being said, I noticed that the review was from early 2010. This leads me to believe that better models have been released since. Are there other tactical "looking" rifles that would fit these criteria?

This will be my first time purchasing and owning a firearm. I have shot before, and the "fun" factor of a 22 rifle appeals to me more than a pistol.

rice923 06-20-2011 06:20 PM

And while I'm here, I wanted to know what everyone's viewpoint is about using a 22LR for mild home security purposes. I live in a good neighborhood with problems few and far apart.

rachilders 06-20-2011 09:40 PM

There actually are quite a few rifles that fall in the guidelines you mention, especially if you are looking for something that has the "black rifle" look that's now popular. Colt and S&W have 22's based on the AR-15/M4 platform and Ruger has a modified 10/22 that is essentially a 10/22 that looks like an AR. There are several others out there as well. I have the S&W 15-22 and love it. Shop around and I'm sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for. As for price, if you want something less "tactical" looking but still fills the bill and is inexpensive - cheap compared to tactical style rifles - look at a regular Ruger 10/22 or several of the other semi-auto's available almost anywhere that sells rifles. Many can be had for $200 or less.

As for using a .22 for home protection, I'm one of those folks who believe a well placed shot with a .22 is a million times better than a miss with a .45, .308 or a shotgun. Is it my first choice as a home defense round... no. That would be a shotgun if it were my decision. OTOH, if it's all you have, you are proficient with it and are willing to use it if necessary, a .22 will stop (or at least make 'em think twice) an intruder and there are people killed by .22 rounds every year so it can get the job done if necessary.

rice923 06-21-2011 01:26 AM

Right now I found the Sig 522 with a 5x scope for $399. I'll check out the other rifles you mentioned, but I'm not sure where to start looking. The only places I've had a chance to search are the sites that sponsor some of the forums (I.E. top gun supply). Where can you find these rifles that can be had for less than $200? That sounds extremely appealing at the moment.

I much prefer the pistol grip style rifles for comfort and posture, as well as aesthetics.

My goal for home protection is definitely not to deliver a fatal shot, but more to fend a potential threat away. From the sounds of it, a 22 can accomplish that.

ScottA 06-21-2011 02:42 AM

I have an S&W M&P AR15-22. I highly recommend it. More fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Although the .22 is not my choice for home defense, what it lacks in power, in can partially make up in ability to place more follow up shots faster than just about any other platform. However, I do keep more .22 ammo than everything else combined just in case SHTF.

OC357 06-21-2011 02:43 AM

For a .22 rifle try a Ruger 10/22. Try one if you can. You might like it.

Not for home protection though. I believe you need a handgun for that and everyone has their own favorites. There are some threads on here about that.

OC

rice923 06-21-2011 06:51 AM

So I recently looked at the SW MP15-22. It is indeed very appealing along with the Sig 522. I'm about to watch the Nutnfancy review on that one too, but does anyone have any personal experience with both? I've heard about the Sig 522's problem with the e-clip/bolt issue. Are there any standout issues with the SW MP15-22?

I'll start calling around to local stores/ranges to see if I can get any hand-on time with either of these.

As for the Ruger 10/22, I really would like to have a pistol grip. I failed to find the pistol grip version mentioned above.

Hawg 06-21-2011 09:52 AM

Look at a Henry lever. If a semi auto is what you want a Marlin model 60 is the best bang for the buck. It's more accurate than the Ruger, easier to load and holds more. Cheaper too.

ScottA 06-21-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rice923 (Post 526756)
Are there any standout issues with the SW MP15-22?

The only issue to note with the S&W was the earliest models had an issue with a misaligned extractor which required an adjustment by the factory or a gunsmith in some cases. That was corrected by the second production run (which is mine).

Other than being a little finicky about ammo (which .22 isn't), I have no issues with it at all.

rachilders 06-21-2011 08:36 PM

Since you live in California (and S.F.in particular), it's difficult to suggest a particular place to check out rifles. Most areas have sporting goods stores - Academy is the closest one to me - that sell guns and even most Wal-Marts sells rifles. There are also your local gun shops to see what's for sale, but location may be a problem for you. You can also check the different manufacturers web sites for a selection and a MSRP. Just remember, the list price is usually more, often considerably more, than most guns can actually be purchased for. My M&P sells for $440 at the Academy near me and the Ruger 10/22's for $200-$300 or so depending on the particular version. They also sell other brands, with most being under $250.

As for my S&W, I've had it for almost 2 years and have never had a problem. FWIW, I got it mainly because I have kids of different sizes so it can become difficult (and expensive) buying several guns to fit everyone. With it's adjustable stock and relatively small size, I found the M&P's AR platform makes it an ideal family gun since it can be adjusted to fit anyone from my 12 y/o to my wife or me. Also, as the kids get bigger, they can adjust the gun to fit them as they grow. It's nice to know the gun you learned to shoot at 10 will still fit you when you are 20, 30 or as long as you have it.