Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > m1969 romania pawn shop find!...50.00bucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Default m1969 romania pawn shop find!...50.00bucks

i was at a pawnshop yesterday and came across this what looked to me to be a mini rep. of a k98 mauser...its in real good shape.blueing looks to be 85% or better..stock is almost perfect...has 5rd mag and came with 3 others...i figured something had to be wrong with it being the guy only wanted 50.00bucks,but i have to say when i cleaned it (but didnt need it) and shot some cheap wallyworld federal cartridges out of it @50yrds all 5rds touched each other...about the size of a quater...i know thats no guinness world record but i though it was pretty good...?anyways has anyone ever shot or own one of these net little rifles...if so why are they so cheap?..or did i just get lucky?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2009, 01:40 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Never heard of one. Can you post a pic? It sounds interesting. What caliber is it?

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #3

.22lr .. thinking about a scope?...but i do like the little iron sights..opps no pic...ima try again

Old 04-11-2009, 02:19 AM   #4

here it goes...got the pics to work this time..the trigger def. needs some work done to it...it has close to a 8lbs of trigger pull....i dont know how many of these are out there..but im sure its alot...but if they're not making anymore of them and they can still be had this cheap...i'm buying as many as i can!i was wrong about it looking like a k98 looks more like the mosins?..either way...i also bought another fr8 from same pawnshop about 2 years ago...@ a good price...theres not many anymore pawnshops out there you can find a deal at...used to be the best places besides gunshows to find a good deal...those days are gone...

aim small miss small

m69.jpg   m69-1.jpg  

Last edited by m72law; 04-11-2009 at 02:30 AM.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:56 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It's a nice looking little gun. Is that a hexagonal receiver? It may be russian. Are there any markings on it? If you have an FR-8 Mauser hold onto it. They are now rare. I have one also and I love it -very accurate.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-08-2009 at 03:09 AM.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:27 AM   #6

thank you...the receiver is flat on top and roundish on the bottom...it does look hexagonal in photo...it has a few strange markings,would take photos of them & post but my camera sux...3.1 pixels..:/

say the fr8's are getting rare?...

yes sir i bought one fr8 in 92 for only 75.00bucks out the door...looks same almost as good as the one in your picture...the stock is a little rough on mine...
the other one i found @ the pawnshop has a ramline mauser composite stock and is missing the fake recoil tube under the barrel...aka cleaning kit compartment...right?..so i've heard thats what its for?

you are soooooo right on them being accurate....but man aren't they LOUD!?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
=m72law;93739 say the fr8's are getting rare?...

yes sir i bought one fr8 in 92 for only 75.00bucks out the door...looks same almost as good as the one in your picture...the stock is a little rough on mine...
the other one i found @ the pawnshop has a ramline mauser composite stock and is missing the fake recoil tube under the barrel...aka cleaning kit compartment...right?..so i've heard thats what its for?

you are soooooo right on them being accurate....but man aren't they LOUD!?
You got yours cheap! I paid $169 in 1995 at a gun show, and I should have bought the 3 remaining the dealer had. My stock looks good because I sanded it and applied 6 coats of Danish Oil and buffed it. It is a beautiful piece of black walnut which originally had the texture of a piece of rough sawn pine! The story I heard about the faux gas tube was that the Spanish were developing their CETME at the time they retrofitted their old Mausers and turned them into FR-7's and FR-8's. In fact, the front sight ass'y on the FR-8 is a CETME front sight. The cleaning tubes were intended to mimick gas tubes to frighten their enemies into thinking they were fielding semi-auto rifles. And it works! Everyone that see's my FR-8 from the left side (bolt not in view) thinks it's an M-1 Carbine. They are VERY loud due to the short barrel and the flash suppressor/grenade launcher. Mine shoots 2" groups at 100 yds. which is impressive with the stock peep sight.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 04-12-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Romanian M69 .22LR trainer was a hot import for a few years - but they've dried up now. I bought mine for $69 at the gunshow. Trigger quality varies - mine is pretty good. Feeding can be quirky - mine won't feed reliably due to a problem with the firing pin not being properly held back by the bolt-release to allow the next cartridge to come up the boltface. That's okay, I shoot it as a singleshot. Very accurate.
The 'rail' on top is not grooved, and rimfire rings will often slip off. I undercut mine with some careful Dremel work. Rail width varies too - earlier rifles had a narrow European sized rail, while later production rifles have a 3/8 rail that works with our rings. After-market magazines are available.
I stripped the Gawd-aweful finish from mine, and found some very pretty birchwood. Stained it Red Mahogany, giving it the typical Eastern European 'orangey' appearance. i like it.
I've read of owners using thin shim and a good polishing to clean up the triggers.
Some years back, a few guys on RimfireCentral modded their M69's to fire the centerfire ".22 Epperson Cricket" cartridge - basically a necked-down .25ACP shell. These rifles were cheap as dirt, so were a natural for modifications.
They are much scarcer in gunshows and shops now though.

The Spanish FR7 and FR8 were transitional rifles - used to familiarise the troops with the CETME style before they equipped them all. The rifles also were used by engineers and police units.
The tube contains a cleaning kit. The rifles use the standard CETME bayonet too. The rear sight gives a similar sight picture to the CETME but is made totally differently.
A few are seen with bent bolt handles, and I have seen pics of a 'sniper' model that saw very limited use, with scope bases replacing the receiver-mounted rear sight. My FR8 has the bent bolt handle, but the standard FR8 rotary sight.
The FR8 was built from the WWII era M43 Mauser rifles, with a block in the front of the magazine to allow it to function better with the 7.62X51 cartridge, vs. the longer 8mm Mauser. German Kar98k bolt and action parts will interchange, as the M43 was based on the K98.

My FR8:

Last edited by Bigdog57; 05-09-2009 at 05:18 PM.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #9

Default M69 Romanian...

I also have one of them. It's really not too bad of a rifle. It's comfortable to shoot and it's as accurate as I will allow it to be. I also refinished mine. I've never had to do as much sanding on a stock as I did with this one. It looked as though they prepped it for finish with 80 grit sandpaper. But underneath that cheap sprayed-on military finish was some of the nicest birch I have ever seen. I bought it from one of my co-workers for $80. Very fair price.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That's not birch - it's black walnut...the finish on mine was exactly as you described until I sanded it down - than the beautiful grain came out.

fr-8.jpg