Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Lucky shot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 03:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lucky shot?

Lets hear about your LUCKIEST shot....we've all made em.
Mine was a crow at 287 yds with my Savage 17 hmr. Bushnell laser rangefinder said it was anyway.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Mine was with a Marlin 39A Golden Mountie carbine and CCI Mini Mag on a standing ground squirrel. 206 LONG paces away when I was 16. Dropped him like a stone.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:24 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Got a head shot on a small blackbird from about 80 yards with my 10/22 I thought it was pretty freaking lucky. But i did shoot at it like 4 times

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 08-19-2009, 02:12 AM   #4

I had sat down in my truck while getting ready to leave my private fishing hole when a turtles head popped up about 50 to 60 yrds. I asked my fishing buddy to hand me my Ruger Mark II. There is no way I missed. My buddy made the comment (We won't need to worry about him taking our bait.)

Old 08-21-2009, 02:03 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Mine was with a Marlin 39A Golden Mountie carbine and CCI Mini Mag on a standing ground squirrel. 206 LONG paces away when I was 16. Dropped him like a stone.
Don't you just love that 39A Golden Mountie? I sure do mine. It is 1967 vintage. I can't tell you how many tens of thousands of rounds I have put through that barrel over the years.

As for my luckiest shot, it was when I was growing up on a farm in SE Missouri. I was out hunting with a Mossberg Model 44US(b) bolt action rifle. It was designed as a military training rifle. It had a heavy barrel with peep sights. (It weighed over nine pounds.) Anyway a quail flew up. I don't know why I did it, but I shot at it. It went down and when I picked it up, its head was gone.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7611 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

How about the luckiest DEER alive? M-14 rifle field fire range. We had SIXTY shooters on line, line was hot, had just given command LOAD one 10 rd magazine- when an albino deer ran out onto the range at about 150 meters. My SGT working the tower (and PA) said "Aw, hell- you know you are going to anyway. Shoot the deer." All 60 shooters opened fire. Bits of bushes, dirt, twigs flying in the air. Deer ran completely across the range and disappeared into the woods. SIX HUNDRED rounds, no deer.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win73 View Post
Don't you just love that 39A Golden Mountie? I sure do mine. It is 1967 vintage. I can't tell you how many tens of thousands of rounds I have put through that barrel over the years.

As for my luckiest shot, it was when I was growing up on a farm in SE Missouri. I was out hunting with a Mossberg Model 44US(b) bolt action rifle. It was designed as a military training rifle. It had a heavy barrel with peep sights. (It weighed over nine pounds.) Anyway a quail flew up. I don't know why I did it, but I shot at it. It went down and when I picked it up, its head was gone.
I think the 39A is the best .22 ever made. I have the carbine that my stepfather bought shortly after he came home from WW2, and a new style rifle that a customer gave me, NIB.

And those Mossberg 44's are outstanding, too.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I don't have lucky shots. All my shots are shots of skill.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #9

Likes Given: 17

well, I was twelve and had moved to the country. I started getting good with my pellet gun. I saw a bird fly thru the air and I hit it. I dropped the pellet gun out of sheer shock and saw I had actually killed it. It was only 10 yards away when I shot at it, but I was amazed.

I gave my brother his luckiest shot. He was using a marlin .22 lr at the range. he was having trouble with the 100 yard target, just danced around the bullsete to no avail. I had the same gun in .22 win mag with a 4x scope, so I gave him a hand and put one in the X ring. He still talks about how he scored that perfect bullseye

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #10

Likes Given: 1

I have had many, but I guess I can narrow it down to two. Both with my Browning 241 ATD. I shot a cottontail at 120 yards, just pulled up, took aim, and fired. Hit him right in the head between the eye and the ear. While I was in grad school my roomate and I were at his family farm collecting insects and mites. A duck flew over about 50 yards high. I pulled up on it, swung through and touched off a round. Hit it dead center in the breast. Got some really neat feather mites off that widgeon. I used to shoot sparrows and pigeons in the air with my BB gun when I was a kid on the farm. TB

Hunters & Anglers: The first environmentalists are still the best!