Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Lucky shot? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/lucky-shot-17069/)

badeye 08-18-2009 03:20 AM

Lucky shot?

Lets hear about your LUCKIEST shot....we've all made em.
Mine was a crow at 287 yds with my Savage 17 hmr. Bushnell laser rangefinder said it was anyway.

M14sRock 08-18-2009 06:43 AM

Mine was with a Marlin 39A Golden Mountie carbine and CCI Mini Mag on a standing ground squirrel. 206 LONG paces away when I was 16. Dropped him like a stone.

Biohazurd 08-19-2009 01:24 AM

Got a head shot on a small blackbird from about 80 yards with my 10/22 I thought it was pretty freaking lucky. But i did shoot at it like 4 times

patriotjoe 08-19-2009 02:12 AM

I had sat down in my truck while getting ready to leave my private fishing hole when a turtles head popped up about 50 to 60 yrds. I asked my fishing buddy to hand me my Ruger Mark II. There is no way I missed. My buddy made the comment (We won't need to worry about him taking our bait.)

Win73 08-21-2009 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 146450)
Mine was with a Marlin 39A Golden Mountie carbine and CCI Mini Mag on a standing ground squirrel. 206 LONG paces away when I was 16. Dropped him like a stone.

Don't you just love that 39A Golden Mountie? I sure do mine. It is 1967 vintage. I can't tell you how many tens of thousands of rounds I have put through that barrel over the years.

As for my luckiest shot, it was when I was growing up on a farm in SE Missouri. I was out hunting with a Mossberg Model 44US(b) bolt action rifle. It was designed as a military training rifle. It had a heavy barrel with peep sights. (It weighed over nine pounds.) Anyway a quail flew up. I don't know why I did it, but I shot at it. It went down and when I picked it up, its head was gone.

c3shooter 08-21-2009 02:17 AM

How about the luckiest DEER alive? M-14 rifle field fire range. We had SIXTY shooters on line, line was hot, had just given command LOAD one 10 rd magazine- when an albino deer ran out onto the range at about 150 meters. My SGT working the tower (and PA) said "Aw, hell- you know you are going to anyway. Shoot the deer." All 60 shooters opened fire. Bits of bushes, dirt, twigs flying in the air. Deer ran completely across the range and disappeared into the woods. SIX HUNDRED rounds, no deer. :eek:

M14sRock 08-21-2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Win73 (Post 148153)
Don't you just love that 39A Golden Mountie? I sure do mine. It is 1967 vintage. I can't tell you how many tens of thousands of rounds I have put through that barrel over the years.

As for my luckiest shot, it was when I was growing up on a farm in SE Missouri. I was out hunting with a Mossberg Model 44US(b) bolt action rifle. It was designed as a military training rifle. It had a heavy barrel with peep sights. (It weighed over nine pounds.) Anyway a quail flew up. I don't know why I did it, but I shot at it. It went down and when I picked it up, its head was gone.

I think the 39A is the best .22 ever made. I have the carbine that my stepfather bought shortly after he came home from WW2, and a new style rifle that a customer gave me, NIB.

And those Mossberg 44's are outstanding, too.

cpttango30 08-21-2009 05:47 PM

I don't have lucky shots. All my shots are shots of skill.

easterner123 08-21-2009 07:23 PM

well, I was twelve and had moved to the country. I started getting good with my pellet gun. I saw a bird fly thru the air and I hit it. I dropped the pellet gun out of sheer shock and saw I had actually killed it. It was only 10 yards away when I shot at it, but I was amazed.

I gave my brother his luckiest shot. He was using a marlin .22 lr at the range. he was having trouble with the 100 yard target, just danced around the bullsete to no avail. I had the same gun in .22 win mag with a 4x scope, so I gave him a hand and put one in the X ring;). He still talks about how he scored that perfect bullseye :D

tigerbeetle 08-25-2009 07:14 PM

I have had many, but I guess I can narrow it down to two. Both with my Browning 241 ATD. I shot a cottontail at 120 yards, just pulled up, took aim, and fired. Hit him right in the head between the eye and the ear. While I was in grad school my roomate and I were at his family farm collecting insects and mites. A duck flew over about 50 yards high. I pulled up on it, swung through and touched off a round. Hit it dead center in the breast. Got some really neat feather mites off that widgeon. I used to shoot sparrows and pigeons in the air with my BB gun when I was a kid on the farm. TB