The love of .22's - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > The love of .22's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 19

northhike makes an interesting point about the youth of today and video games. When I was trying to determine how my grandchildren would react to gifts of new pistols for Christmas, I mentioned to the 18-year-old how much I enjoyed my 1911 and asked if he had a favorite handgun (knowing he had never fired anything but my .45). He thought for a moment and said that he liked the CZ 75B...in polished stainless yet! Later (after I controlled my almost-a-stroke) I asked him where he had heard of the CZ; "From 'Call of Duty' I think," he said. "Maybe 'Grand Theft Auto', I don't remember." Much different that when my Grandfather asked my scrawny seven-year-old butt if I wanted to learn to shoot on the Springfield .22 or the 12 gauge Wingmaster...then he kindly put the Springfield in my hands!
And what is my oldest grandson getting for Christmas? A Rock Island Armory Compact 1911 in .45 ACP, what else?

"History teaches that war begins when nations believe that the price of aggression is cheap." - Ronald Reagan

dan01 Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #12

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars
northhike makes an interesting point about the youth of today and video games. When I was trying to determine how my grandchildren would react to gifts of new pistols for Christmas, I mentioned to the 18-year-old how much I enjoyed my 1911 and asked if he had a favorite handgun (knowing he had never fired anything but my .45). He thought for a moment and said that he liked the CZ 75B...in polished stainless yet! Later (after I controlled my almost-a-stroke) I asked him where he had heard of the CZ; "From 'Call of Duty' I think," he said. "Maybe 'Grand Theft Auto', I don't remember." Much different that when my Grandfather asked my scrawny seven-year-old butt if I wanted to learn to shoot on the Springfield .22 or the 12 gauge Wingmaster...then he kindly put the Springfield in my hands!
And what is my oldest grandson getting for Christmas? A Rock Island Armory Compact 1911 in .45 ACP, what else?
Wanna adopt me?

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

dan01 Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

even if your take away the sentimental value many of us place on our 22's, the cheaper cost to shoot and many other factors, 22's are just plain fun to shoot! at almost being 50, yes there is some nostagia to shooting a 22, but for me, it's just plain fun to spend a weekend afternoon with my father shooting at targets with our 22 rifles and pistols.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #14

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Ya gotta say, 22's are a whole lot more pleasant to shoot than most anything else. And if you can't hit the target with a 22 - a bigger caliber is surely not going to make you better.

Another vote for 22's.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike

You know your response brings up an interesting thought. My guess is that you are probably younger than I am (I'm in my late 40's). If you take my generation and those previous the .22 was the gun most of us grew up with introduced to us by our fathers/dads. I don't believe its as prevelant in today's younger generations. AR15's and more tactical weapons were introduced to them through video games. Your sentimental journey is probably vastly different then mine. This of course begs the question...."will the .22's have the same sentimental appeal years from now with the younger generation?" My guess would be they will not. There will be a good number of us passing down the .22 tradition, but most of the generation behind us may see the black guns as their sentimental gun of choice. Just a perspective....
Im 22....and i love 22s...first gone i ever shot was a 12ga. Only two firearms i owned. (Long story) henry lever. I miss that thing ...but for the record im not a black rifle kinda guy and i even grew up in the suburbs. Id only take one if it was free. Idk...ithink its over rated. For the longest time i was on a lever action craze. Im kinda moving on to an interest in bolt actions. But im a lefty and manufacturers are picky lol. Sooo i might stay on the lever craze who knows ha!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1836 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 668

I do get a great deal of satisfaction out of shooing large caliber rifles and pistols. I would still have a need for a 22 LR. Sometimes I have to much fun and start flinching. There is nothing like a couple 50 round sessions with a 22 LR to cure one of flinching. I know I should take precautions but no one hunts with a padded vest. So I end up with a black and blue shoulder. Sometimes I ignore the pain and keep shooting until my right arm goes numb. Once you abuse your body like that you need a little TLC that the 22 LR provides.

The 22LR does a fine job of preparing shooters for long distance shots with a centerfire rifle. if you can hit a 25 foot airgun target with a 22LR at 75 yards you will have no problem downing that big buck at 300 yards with a 30/06.

Last edited by John_Deer; 11-30-2012 at 04:11 PM.
dan01 Likes This 
Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #17

Liked 76 Times on 47 Posts

My only rifle is a sears 25 that I use to watch my grandpa shoot small animals with. I wasn't much into guns but when he passed my grandma said he wanted me to have it. It sat in my closet for 15 years. Well one day my 8 year old said she wanted to learn how to shoot a gun at targets. So I dug it out cleaned it and now we have a blast with it. It brings back memories of my grandpa and I'm making memories with my daughter with it. But now I want a 22 hand gun lol.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2101 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 629

No sentimental ties. I just like shooting them and they are fairly inexpensive to shoot. My wife and I will go through a brick shooting at spinners offhand. She has really taken to her S&W M&P 15-22. She claimed it so it is her rifle. You younger guys will find that out sooner or later.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #19

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1247

Just love my .22s Good trainers a blast to shoot. i like to shot golfballs love to run them around the yard

Old 12-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #20

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars
Can you get me one for Christmas too? I've been looking at getting a RIA.