The love of .22's

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > The love of .22's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default The love of .22's

I was reading an article recently that said the biggest reason the .22 is still around is because the ammo is cheap and the guns that shoot them are inexpensive. While I am sure there is much truth to this the article did not mention its sentimental appeal. I would guess that even if the larger caliber ammo was reduced to the price of a .22lr we would still be shooting our .22's. Like most....my dad introduced me to this caliber. It was my first "real" gun and as such there are many fine memories attached to those days. Thats why I spend most of my time in this section of the forum and why I own several .22's. I cannot say the same for my larger caliber guns. The only other gun that may come close is the 1911 given that many of our grandfathers, fathers and maybe even us have carried them through wars. If all my guns were to dissapear today my .22 rifles would be most missed and it has nothing to do with cost.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #2

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Just gotta love 22s. I mean they are just fun to shoot with. And yes i have my first shooting memories with a 22

Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #3

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default love of .22's

Well stated,I have more 22's than any other caliber. Cliff

Old 11-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #4

Liked 2182 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Because it is inexpensive to get into, both the ammo and guns are inviting for new shooters. The low recoil, quieter report, lighter weight, and often smaller dimensions, just make even more reasons that it is good for kids and first time shooters.

And yes, people are sentimentalist. In the last few weeks, while Hostess has been going through threats of shut-down, people were actually worried about losing Twinkees for good. That was mostly sentimentalism, because those of us who remember taking luch to school in a lunch box and being pleasantly surprised to find a Twinkee or other Hostess cake in there, get attached to that type of "good feeling" on a snetimental level.

So, why not be nostalgic about your first gun and caliber that you learned to shoot with.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 AM   #5

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Yep .22s kinda just feel like home.

-Matt

Old 11-30-2012, 01:58 AM   #6

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1099

I shoot my Remington Model 582 once or twice a year. I've had it for 45 years will never let go of it. My son and grandson will own it next. In a few more years, that is.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #7

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Also it is a very accurate round

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #8

Liked 3858 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 701

If regular ammo was as cheap as.22, I'd lock my .22's away for a long time. Ugh... Not that I don't like the .22, I've just had a lot of cool guns doing nothing for the past 4 years because ammo is too expensive.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 11-30-2012, 03:34 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
If regular ammo was as cheap as.22, I'd lock my .22's away for a long time. Ugh... Not that I don't like the .22, I've just had a lot of cool guns doing nothing for the past 4 years because ammo is too expensive.
You know your response brings up an interesting thought. My guess is that you are probably younger than I am (I'm in my late 40's). If you take my generation and those previous the .22 was the gun most of us grew up with introduced to us by our fathers/dads. I don't believe its as prevelant in today's younger generations. AR15's and more tactical weapons were introduced to them through video games. Your sentimental journey is probably vastly different then mine. This of course begs the question...."will the .22's have the same sentimental appeal years from now with the younger generation?" My guess would be they will not. There will be a good number of us passing down the .22 tradition, but most of the generation behind us may see the black guns as their sentimental gun of choice. Just a perspective....
Old 11-30-2012, 05:01 AM   #10

Liked 3858 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike

You know your response brings up an interesting thought. My guess is that you are probably younger than I am (I'm in my late 40's). If you take my generation and those previous the .22 was the gun most of us grew up with introduced to us by our fathers/dads. I don't believe its as prevelant in today's younger generations. AR15's and more tactical weapons were introduced to them through video games. Your sentimental journey is probably vastly different then mine. This of course begs the question...."will the .22's have the same sentimental appeal years from now with the younger generation?" My guess would be they will not. There will be a good number of us passing down the .22 tradition, but most of the generation behind us may see the black guns as their sentimental gun of choice. Just a perspective....
I believe you are right on most of your sentiment. However, I am younger than you (32), so I didn't grow up on video games, especially games that emphasized modern rifles.
My first rifle was a .22 as well. I'm a fan of recoil, and big bangs. Also very interested in long range shooting and do a lot of hunting. It's just that the ammo is too expensive to go out and blast away all day.
I do agree with what you're saying though, and if I ever have kids, I'm going to start them on .22s as soon as possible.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...