Looking for something specific...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Looking for something specific...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for something specific...

Reposting this from the intro thread hoping to get a few more hits. I'm trying to find a bolt-action .22 rimfire rifle with a walnut stock, and tubular-feed magazine. Does anyone know of such a rifle?

I've looked at Marlin's current offerings, but none of their .22 bolt-action tube-feed rifles have a walnut stock, only synthetic. Does anyone know if they made one in recent years with a walnut stock, or if it is possible to get a walnut stock to replace the synthetic ones on their current models?

Thanks gents!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The 22-Magnum tube feed Marlin (pictured below) has a Walnut stock on it if you want to go with a Magnum. Or you could buy the 22lr version and then buy the walnut stock from the Magnum rifle to replace your synthetic. Just call Marlin to order the stock. You can also check Numrich for a walnut stock.

I believe Boyds' has a walnut stock for the earlier tube feed Marlins that can be fitted to the newer rifles, but it will take a little woodwork to get it to bolt up.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #3

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

just call marlin and ask if they have a wooden stocked .22LR of your choice.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #4

am I losing my eyesight. that marlin seems to be wearing a savage accutrigger.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:49 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
am I losing my eyesight. that marlin seems to be wearing a savage accutrigger.
Your eyesight is just fine. It's a new adjustable trigger similar to the one Marlin is using on their centerfire rifles which is similar to the Savage Accu-Trigger.

The new Marlin XT series rifles are really worth a look for anyone interested in a rimfire bolt action.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #6

I really like the XT series, but neither of the .22 LR versions are offered with a wood stock, solid or laminated. I put in a request to Boyd's to see if they'd offer one but I haven't heard back from them yet. If anyone knows of a replacement wood stock for the XT series I'd be very interested in knowing about it.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjbacon View Post
I really like the XT series, but neither of the .22 LR versions are offered with a wood stock, solid or laminated. I put in a request to Boyd's to see if they'd offer one but I haven't heard back from them yet. If anyone knows of a replacement wood stock for the XT series I'd be very interested in knowing about it.
The quickest way to get what you're looking for is to buy the synthetic stocked rifle and order the walnut stock for the magnum version directly from Marlin.

I'm not sure why Marlin hasn't offered the 22lr tube feed rifle with the walnut stock in a while. They had some available over the years but nothing listed right now. However, the XT 22-Magnum tube feed stock will fit the XT tube feed rifles cambered in 22LR with out any fitting. They're the same receiver and action on both rifles.

You should be able to call Marlin and order the stock directly from them, not sure what it will cost though.

The only thing Boyds' has right now is an 81C walnut stock, it can be fitted to the 900 series rifles and could probaly be fitted to the XT series as well, but it will take some wood work to fit one to these newer rifles.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric0424 View Post
The quickest way to get what you're looking for is to buy the synthetic stocked rifle and order the walnut stock for the magnum version directly from Marlin.

I'm not sure why Marlin hasn't offered the 22lr tube feed rifle with the walnut stock in a while. They had some available over the years but nothing listed right now. However, the XT 22-Magnum tube feed stock will fit the XT tube feed rifles cambered in 22LR with out any fitting. They're the same receiver and action on both rifles.

You should be able to call Marlin and order the stock directly from them, not sure what it will cost though.

The only thing Boyds' has right now is an 81C walnut stock, it can be fitted to the 900 series rifles and could probaly be fitted to the XT series as well, but it will take some wood work to fit one to these newer rifles.
I called Marlin today, and the tech I spoke with said that the stock from the .22 Mag fits on the .22 LR without any modification. I'm going down to the shop tomorrow or Sunday and having them order an XT-22 for me.

I'm still not sure what I want though, the blued version or the SS version. Besides the obvious price difference, what are some pros and cons to each of them? Or does that not even matter?

Old 02-27-2011, 04:35 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's a shame you have to shell out a few more dollars to get the rifle and stock combo you want, but at least you won't have to fit anything.

The biggest difference between the stainless and blued model is the maintenance required on the finish. Other than that, they're the same rifles.

With a stainless rifle you could neglect it a little and not have a problem, with a blued rifle it would rust up pretty quick if moisture, some solvents or fingerprints get left on it for a while. Leaving one in a closet would rust a blued gun if there's high humidity or a water leak. A friend of mine had a problem with his home and a Marlin 22 got nearly ruined because he forgot it was in the closet, close to a water heater line that busted. The steam rusted the barrel and he didn't know until months after the leak was fixed. Minor scratches will probably be more noticeable on the blued rifle, but both can still be scratched.

I've got both blued and stainless firearms and since I keep them cleaned, oiled and in a gun cabinet or gun rack neither type of metal has been an issue.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #10

I ended up getting the XT-22TSR with the stainless barrel. When I get the chance after it comes in, I'm going to switch out the composite stock for the laminated walnut stock.