Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/)
-   -   Looking for some advice on an entry level .22 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/looking-some-advice-entry-level-22-a-71682/)

Gone_South 09-02-2012 11:36 PM

Looking for some advice on an entry level .22

Thinking ahead for a Christmas gift for our two boys & was thinking of a .22 rifle.

They are still pretty young 7 (will be 8 in January) and 11. They have a Crosman 760 BB/pellet gun that they enjoy and have learned basic shooting and firearms safety with the help of the wife & I.

I really don't want them to start off with anything semi-auto so I would rather they learn with a bolt or even a lever. Also personally I think a scope is out until they can master shooting with iron sites (which they do surprisingly well with the 760).

What I am looking for is some advice for a beginner .22 but something they will enjoy shooting for years to come.

BRAD313 09-02-2012 11:53 PM

Henry makes nice lever guns that will bring years of fun for them kind of costly tho if u want a cheap single shot u could get them a crickett for like a 100 bucks do u got a budget ?

GP007 09-03-2012 12:17 AM

It took me several decades to buy my first rifle. I choose the Henry H001.

It is not the least expensive .22 option on the market, but lever action is more expensive that bolt action or semi. Marlin and Browning make a nice lever action but are substantially more. You can buy two Henry's for the cost of a single Marlin 39A.

Marlin makes some nice bolt action .22's for less than the Henry. The Ruger 10/22 is a popular model.

Henry does make a youth sized .22 lever action.

Gone_South 09-03-2012 12:22 AM

Price really isn't a factor because I am starting this early unlike a lot of Christmases in the past where I wait until the last minute. I have seen the Henry online in the $300-$400 range while high is okay.

Main thing I am looking for is something reliable, accurate, durable and most of all something that they can enjoy for 5-6 years before they start to move into something with more power. I figure the oldest I will introduce to shotguns in the next couple of years but the 7 almost 8 year old it will be a while.

As far as the Henry how stiff is the lever action? I don't think the 11 year old would have a problem (he's a hoss) but I was thinking more the younger boy. I still pump his 760 for him.

Honestly I am a little selfish as I would like to be able to plink around with them ;)

BRAD313 09-03-2012 12:29 AM

The henrys arnt bad but not sure for a young guy take them to the store and let them pick some of them and up see wich they like and hold best then you will know Wich to get them .

kycol 09-03-2012 01:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I started my grandson off with a cricket, a single shot bolt action. The chipmunk is pretty much the same thing. These are just the right size and weight. When I first started taking him he thought he wanted to shoot my other rifles and I told him after he learned the basics he could move up. But know when I offer other guns to him he wants to stick with his cricket. He says my others are too big or too heavy. He has gotten very quick with his reloading and firing. I give him so many at a time to put in his pocket. He is getting fast and accurate.

A Marlin 60 is a great rifle and accurate as hell semi-auto but is a little big and heavy for that age shooter. The browning 22auto is a good size for younger shooters and can not be beat for accuracy and reliability. This is the rifle I cut my teeth on, my Dad still has it and I still love it. He also had a 22 lever action called a palomino I think it was a Mossberg and I loved to shoot it.

Also this weekend I saw a citadel m1 22lr with a black synthetic stock, when I picked it up I could not believe just how light it was. I am thinking it may be my grandsons next rifle. You really got to hold one.

GP007 09-03-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gone_South (Post 925794)
I have seen the Henry online in the $300-$400 range while high is okay.

They sell all day long in my local area for $279.

Quote:

Main thing I am looking for is something reliable, accurate, durable and most of all something that they can enjoy for 5-6 years before they start to move into something with more power.
I think the Henry fits this criteria perfectly. Although I think they'll keep their first .22 regardless what model you get them.

Quote:

As far as the Henry how stiff is the lever action?
I tried the action of three levers and found the Henry to be the smoothest and easiest. The Marlin 39A felt a little tight but would assume that would break in over the years. The Browning was close to the Henry. But the Henry was hands down the smoothest and lightest.

It is a great value.

Josh1158 09-03-2012 04:22 AM

I agree, the lever on a henry is the best out there Just check the rear sight before you buy it. Mine is off to the left alittle. I was gona put a scope on it from the get go so its not much of a problem. But with the irons its about 4 inches off and theres no adjusting it.

Gone_South 09-03-2012 01:41 PM

Thanks for the input. Gives me some ideas to start with. As in all firearms it's up to the shooter as what they like but for me it seems to really help a lot when you can get some other ideas to look at as well.

I know as with everything else with these two boys we will end up buying a second one so they will each have their own.

I always start to ask myself why can't they share but then memory kicks in and being the youngest growing up with 2 older brothers I know it's impossible to share.

BillM 09-03-2012 02:02 PM

Get them a magazine fed bolt action 22. Don't let them have the magazine until they are competent with it as a single shot.

Savage MkII GY would be one choice---youth size stock, but it can be
re-stocked with bigger better wood as they grow into it.