Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Looking at the "New" 1911 22s. Comments?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking at the "New" 1911 22s. Comments?

From conversion kits to expensive Kimber models, we now, recently this year, have manufacturers putting out less expensive 1911's in 22lr
so which would you want
Chiappa, GSG, Colt (coming out soon) or Remington (coming out soon and will be 80% of a full size 1911)

Attitude is Everything

Last edited by canebrake; 11-26-2010 at 09:46 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

GSG hands down!

The soon to be released Colt is a relabeled GSG.

It has all the must-have goodies.

Can ready.

And it's a tack driver!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

after looking around the net about this there is little info but this pic suggest a two piece frame. not sure how durable that would be. i would definately want to handle one before i bought one.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not 'two piece', it's simply cast alloy. The mold line is what we see. The low price point means less attention to little details like polishing the mold lines out. Should not affect functioning.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
after looking around the net about this there is little info but this pic suggest a two piece frame. not sure how durable that would be. i would definately want to handle one before i bought one.
As a retired toolmaker, the GSG is hands-down, the best workmanship of what's currently offered. The barrel is pinned, and screwed to the frame. There's a good review of the gun here.... Review: GSG 1911 - INGunOwners You can see on the pic of the right side, the barrel pin, the slide stop pin (in the middle) and the barrel retaining screw. The gun has very close to the same weight, feel, and balance of a full sized 1911. I ran 550 rounds thru it without cleaning it, with two failures to fire, and those were good firing pin strikes, but the rounds did not fire. (bulk pak ammo) Accuracy was good, 2" groups at 30 feet off of sandbags. The pistol handled high velocity (Fed bulk pak) as well as standard velocity (Wolf Match Target) with no issues.

Take down tools and chamber brushes are provided. For those who are so inclined, the barrel is threaded for a suppressor, and comes with a thread protector.

80% of the internals are interchangeable.

80% of the parts interchange...

Barrel Bushing
Front & Rear Site
Hammer
Trigger
Grip Safety
the Whole Main Spring Housing
Thumb Safety
Sear
Disconnector
Sear Spring
Grip Panels (but not the screws because they're in metric)
Mag Release
Sear Pin
Hammer Pin
Plunger Tube
Plunger Spring

I have NOT tried to interchange all these parts... just sayin'.... this is hearsay from a stocking dealer.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 11-26-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hideit View Post
from conversion kits to expensive kimber models, we now, recently this year, have manufacturers putting out less expensive 1911's in 22lr
so which would you want
Chiappa, GSG, Colt (coming out soon) or Remington (coming out soon and will be 80% of a full size 1911)
I have not shot any of the mentioned models, but I have handled both the Chiappa and GSG at a local shop. Once I have the means, the GSG is my choice.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

shame its not also available as a upper only. i could prolly forgive the use of the novak style sights but they are fixed and just about all 1911 conversions use adjustable sights.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The GSG comes with three front sights of varying heights, and the rear is driftable, and held with a set screw.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 11-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default .22 kits on large bore pistols

I have one of the original Colt Ace and it works fine. Accuracy is better than normal and the only problem is you have to clean the chamber/piston every time you shoot more than 50 rounds.
I also bought a J. Arthur Ciener .22 LR conversion for my 92 Berretta and it didn't work past the first magazine full. The extractor bent. I tried to call Ciener but could never get past their voice mail. I may just make a new extractor myself and see how it runs then. The extractor looked awful thin and cheap looking.
Sarge

Old 11-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_257 View Post
The extractor bent. I tried to call Ciener but could never get past their voice mail. I may just make a new extractor myself and see how it runs then. The extractor looked awful thin and cheap looking.
Sarge
i have that same problem with my kimber conversion. first 500 rounds was flawless. took it to range today and it fails to extract every round. with the slide locked back i can pop the spent cartridge loose with light pressure. i just chalk it up to typical kimber quality. junk. i wish sig would make a 1911 conversion their p220 conversion work great and eat everything. i got nearly 4k through my p220 22 without issue

was looking at giving ceiner a shot so to speak