Looking for a good cheap .22 rifle suggestions? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion > Looking for a good cheap .22 rifle suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
if your budget can stand it, check out the Anschutz rifles
Uh...yeah. "Cheap"?

Old 12-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #22

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56

Uh...yeah. "Cheap"?
Sometimes it is better to save a little and get something really nice that will last a long time.

-Matt

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I own a Marlin 795 and its Awesome! Very accurate! Inexpensive (around 100 bucks)! Durable! The best gun I own is a Rossi model 62 octagon barrel though, its even better than a marlin 795. I can practically shoot pictures into the target at 60 feet. I can destroy bottles and 50+ feet. I highly recommend both of these guns except that the Rossi is a bit high priced.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Sometimes it is better to save a little and get something really nice that will last a long time.
And sometimes it isn't necessary. I bought a new Marlin 60 in 1989 for $90. I've put 160,000 rounds through it. It still works perfect. I have a Stevens 15-A from the early 50's. Still works perfect. Those sold for under $50 for years but now the price is up to about $150. And that rifle is extremely accurate.

The guy said he wanted a "good cheap .22" and it is possible to get just that. If you haven't seen how the Savages shoot you're missing something. Now they aren't Anschutz rifles but those cost about 4 times as much. For a lot of people that is a LOT of saving. It's not a "little" saving. I could have bought more rifles when I only had those 2 but I didn't see any point in getting another rimfire. I had a bolt action and a semi-auto. They worked great. Why buy another? Sure Anschutz makes a gun that will last but I have a Stevens that's over 60 years old and it works perfect and always has. How good is good enough? Trust me if you work at Walmart or somewhere you aren't going to think saving up for an Anschutz makes good sense. I don't know the OP. I just know what he asked and I answered that question instead of giving advice not asked for.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #25

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Buy a Ruger 10/22 if you want something brand new. If used will work for you, go to your local gun shop or pawn shop and look around for a older Remington, Savage, or Winchester. With any of them, if you aren't making 1-2" groups after about 100 rounds, the fault probably lies more with the person standing directly behind the gun more so than the gun.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21394 Times on 12141 Posts
Likes Given: 53272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
Uh...yeah. "Cheap"?
Quote:
And sometimes it isn't necessary. I bought a new Marlin 60 in 1989 for $90. I've put 160,000 rounds through it. It still works perfect. I have a Stevens 15-A from the early 50's. Still works perfect. Those sold for under $50 for years but now the price is up to about $150. And that rifle is extremely accurate.

The guy said he wanted a "good cheap .22" and it is possible to get just that. If you haven't seen how the Savages shoot you're missing something. Now they aren't Anschutz rifles but those cost about 4 times as much. For a lot of people that is a LOT of saving. It's not a "little" saving. I could have bought more rifles when I only had those 2 but I didn't see any point in getting another rimfire. I had a bolt action and a semi-auto. They worked great. Why buy another? Sure Anschutz makes a gun that will last but I have a Stevens that's over 60 years old and it works perfect and always has. How good is good enough? Trust me if you work at Walmart or somewhere you aren't going to think saving up for an Anschutz makes good sense. I don't know the OP. I just know what he asked and I answered that question instead of giving advice not asked for.
not that i disagree with what you said and it is pretty much to the point and you have made some very good points that i do agree with.

as the OP never specified a budget, the Anschutz was strictly another suggestion of a very well made target rifle for him to consider if his budget could afford it. nothing more.

if you notice the first suggestions i made were the Marlin, Savage and Ruger for him to consider. i own a Marlin M60 (circa early 1980's) and a Savage M93r17 (circa early 2000's) that are both pretty dang accurate rimfires. and both will more than likely outlast me!
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #27

Hey I'd love to have an Anschutz myself. But I would want a good one. My point was that they aren't cheap any way you look at it. They certainly are good rifles to own. But they are about as far from cheap as a production rimfire rifle gets.

Again I'd love to have a 54 based Anschutz. But I can (and did) buy about 5 rimfire rifles for the price that one would cost. And while they are certainly accurate they just aren't a tremendous amount more accurate than say a Savage MkII with the heavy barrel. You pay a lot for a little more accuracy on that level. It's the law of diminishing returns and all that. I'm sure you know these things. I'm mainly posting this for any newbie that might be reading along.

BTW I have to ask. What's with the "Liberal Pirate" thing?

Old 12-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21394 Times on 12141 Posts
Likes Given: 53272

Quote:
Hey I'd love to have an Anschutz myself. But I would want a good one. My point was that they aren't cheap any way you look at it. They certainly are good rifles to own. But they are about as far from cheap as a production rimfire rifle gets.

Again I'd love to have a 54 based Anschutz. But I can (and did) buy about 5 rimfire rifles for the price that one would cost. And while they are certainly accurate they just aren't a tremendous amount more accurate than say a Savage MkII with the heavy barrel. You pay a lot for a little more accuracy on that level. It's the law of diminishing returns and all that. I'm sure you know these things. I'm mainly posting this for any newbie that might be reading along.

BTW I have to ask. What's with the "Liberal Pirate" thing?
i have shot a few Anschutz rimfires over the years and they are truly a fantastic rifle and very accurate. they are also very elegant rifles and would be a very nice rifle to own, but as don't really need the accuracy they can deliver and am quite satisfied with my Marlin and Savage, i seriously doubt i will pony up the money that an Anschutz costs. if i were shooting competition rimfire matches, yes i would probably give much consideration into buying one.

have to become a Supporting Member to learn about that!
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #29

I thought real hard about buying a 64 I found at a decent price last summer. I do shoot competitions once in a while and I get beat by those Anschutz rifles too often. But I didn't think it would be enough more accurate than my CZ and my Savage to be worth the $600 I would have had to pay for it. I could have sold one of the others I know but I have this thing about selling great shooting rifles. I always regret it when I do it so I swore off doing it.

Like you I don't really "need" a top notch shooter but I would "like" to have one. And maybe some day when I have more cash I'll get one. But I just bought a safe and a lot of ammo and a DSLR and lenses for it so I won't be spending a bunch of cash on yet another rimfire rifle anytime soon. I may sell some rifles some day and get an Anschutz but I won't settle for a 64 series. It just isn't worth the money to improve that amount over what I have. I'll be looking for a 54 based rifle and hopefully a good example of that line. Now that's something I might start saving for but it will be a while before I get it because other priorities are coming into play (like getting an AR while the getting is good - I've been stuck on the SKS platform a long time - I love those rifles but I'd like an AR just because the government is trying to tell me I can't have one - to heck with those guys).

Old 12-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #30

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by keas3 View Post
Looking for a good .22 rifle for target shooting but don't have a lot of many any suggestions??
If you are looking for a casual plinking/target shooting 22 most any model will be a fine choice. I have shot many different brands on different type actions and with a good rest they are most all accurate enough for a common guy to have fun with, I prefer my ruger 10-22 but that's just one option. If you mean target shooting to enter serious competition then some of the suggestions on here maybe more your speed. One thing to consider is the Ruger is highly customizable, as long as you have an action you can build it into most anything you desire if you feel the need to do so. Mine is stock other than the scope I recently mounted on it. It shot fine for my purposes with and without the optics.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012